FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Genesee Township suing Tom Joubran over a signs
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:
You can copy and paste all the court documents and case files you like.

It won't change the fact that Genesee Township does not have the money to spend taking cases of no monetary value to court.

I agree with Steve Myers. Hell, it is common knowledge that the Joubran's activities and are actions are sometimes VERY questionable but come on, A SIGN ORDINANCE? Give me a break! What purpose other than safety issues could sign laws serve? If they are in place over safety issues I would say it was important ,like for instance, if the sign blocked a motorist's view of traffic that they were going to have to merge into or something like that. Other than safety issues why have regulations concerning signs in the first place? What did the township do, contact those guys from QUEER EYE FOR A STRAIGHT GUY to to get their expert knowledge or something? With all the crap the cities and towns surrounding Flint has to worry about which are crucial for their very survival this is the issue you all want to run with? You can't see me, but I am rolling my eyes. A Bible expression comes to my mind ; "they strain at a gnat and swallow a camel". Webs, you always seemed far more sensible than this, why pick this issue to waste your energy and time? In fact, Webs, I would say you are probably one of the BEST informed of anyone I have ever read in these postings and look towards you for intelligent input . I just think this is a cause not worthy of your very valuable time .
Post Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:26 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Joubran already went to court to fight the ruling of the Zoning Board and lost. Since there is already a judgement in place. Doesn't genesee Township have a provision for violations of their ordinances? This lawsuit is probably to reaffirm a decision already won. Genesee Township doesn't have the money not to fight this case. To decline is to admit they are unable to defend any township zoning matters or ordinances.

You copied and pasted only part of the Journal article. I only cited the court cases. At first I believed the Journal reporter did a crappy job, but then I read the entire story.

Remember Dave Barber and his "If you stand for nothing you will fall for anything". Well I heard Fieger give a similar statement.
Post Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:47 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

You copied and pasted only part of the Journal article. I only cited the court cases. At first I believed the Journal reporter did a crappy job, but then I read the entire story.

There is a link in my post to the original story!!

Post Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
shintz62
F L I N T O I D

I'm 71, Mr. Joubran has always had a reputation but, why mess with a businessman, who brings a lot of warm bodies, into OUR area businesses
Post Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:09 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Joubran already went to court to fight the ruling of the Zoning Board and lost. Since there is already a judgement in place. Doesn't genesee Township have a provision for violations of their ordinances? This lawsuit is probably to reaffirm a decision already won. Genesee Township doesn't have the money not to fight this case. To decline is to admit they are unable to defend any township zoning matters or ordinances.

Remember Dave Barber and his "If you stand for nothing you will fall for anything". Well I heard Fieger give a similar statement.

Webs, then I would say that is EXACTLY what you are doing, falling for anything . Motivated out of what "principles" though really? Yes there is a judgement , yes there are ordinances ,but hell, people are being murdered all over the city of Flint and nobody is doing anything for that. Sorry , but a sign being too big,not the right color or not hanging with the right drape are all small potatoes in comparison with murder and mayhem . The area in and around Flint is going to hell faster than any other place I know of and for Genesse Township the big concern is over a sign being too large? I would say that the township should be happy someone wants to hang a sign in first place . Businesses like to have signs,businesses mean tax base, tax base means income to hire people and keep services for that area going. What part of this don't you understand Webs? Joubran is a crook, probably gotten away with much greater sins that the best legal minds of the county ( yes, I am being saracastic )couldn't get a conviction out of him for. I think all this hooey of the signs is just sour grapes because those legal eagles couldn't send ol Tom to prison in the past. And personally , from what I learned from living around that county , the people who whine and complain the most about someone getting away with something typically engaged in something larger and more sinister than the evil doer they are calling attention to. With already 8 murders in Flint, businesses dying all over that county , with no real promise of anything getting better, I would say a sign that is too large ranks DEAD LAST in importance Webs.
Post Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:25 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The major complaint aside from public safety is the failure of the City of Flint to enforce ordinances.

Joubran is thumbing his nose at the supervisors, the laws and the court system with his arrogance.
Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

AM ADVANTAGE March 24, 2011 GCWEB.US NETWORK

Posted on March 15, 2011 by Crusader News Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recall Effort Under Way
in Genesee Twp on five

BY MIKE KILLBREATH
Crusader News service
Publisher & Executive Editor

The Genesee Township Board of Trustees are getting their share of headlines. After taking on prominent local businessman Tom Joubran over his signs around the township, five board members now have a recall movement on their hands. It is apparently unrelated to their decision to file a lawsuit against Joubran to make him take down signs around the township that violate size stipulations set forth within township codes.

Christina Sowulewski filed proposed recall language with the Genesee County Election Commission and it will be reviewed at a March 22 hearing. She is targeting Township Supervisor Steven Fuhr, Township Treasurer Wayne Bates, Trustee David Stephens, Trustee Kathy Sutton and Trustee Patricia Witte.

Her proposed language asks that voters consider removing all five from office because they “have neglected to fulfill campaign promises to reduce board pay by 30 percent and endangered public safety by laying off police officers.”

Bates was featured in a story by Genesee Township Voice last year when the board voted to cut medical benefits and reduce paychecks of all board members. He was quoted at the time as saying it was part of a campaign promise made when winning election in August 2008. Bates led a slate that included six winners as first-time political candidates, defeating a veteran board. Fuhr defeated independent Steve Myers in the November general election to become supervisor while the others on his slate ran unopposed from the Republican side.

The Genesee Township Board of Trustees put a special assessment before voters last May to protect jobs of police officers, but voters rejected the millage request. The no vote triggered a layoff move that cut six officers from the department during the subsequent month. The township has hired two officers in recent months while adding six part-time officers to the force.

The Genesee County Election Commission that will consider approving the proposed recall language on March 22 is comprised of Genesee County Probate Court Chief Judge Jenny Barkey, Genesee County Clerk Michael Carr and Genesee County Treasurer Deb Cherry. Two of the three must vote to approve the language that would be placed on the ballot at the next regular election if enough valid signatures are gathered on petitions circulated by Sowulewski to remove the five board members. She would have 180 days to get enough signatures within a 90-day circulating window.
Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:50 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

GENESEE TOWNSHIP BOARD MEETING MINUTES File Format: Microsoft Word - Quick View
Oct 8, 2010 ... Christina Sowulewski, 4146 N. Genesee Road stated she works for Davison Township and why doesn't the board force the assessment and put it ...
www.geneseetwp.com/files/Sept_14_reg_bd_mtg2.doc

She works for Davison Township and wants the police assessment/

Responses (2 of 53) to Journal story:
Micop22 March 16, 2011 at 4:42AM
Follow

First off, calling Elected Officials or for that matter anyone a "bobble head" totally speaks loudly of the person that would drop to that level. Now you say the money is there in the budget. If the money is in that budget you need to get a copy of the Genesee Township Budget, a Public Document and prove that fact. $11.00 and hour does not mean you get and inexperienced Officer but perhaps by your standards they are probably "bobble heads" Which is far from the truth. I would love to call you on your facts and I will be awaiting your reply of the facts. I also find it interesting that Richard Burrus is not talked about, which gives and idea that this is still the old board behind some of this. If Richard Burrus disagreed with the current board you would think he would be screaming to the media and residents. hmmm Why Not. It is so sad that people don't talk in facts and make claims they can't back up. We all will be waiting for you to get the copy of the budget and make your recomendations to The Current Township Board. Oh, don't forget to put enough in that budget to bring back the layed off Officers. Every Municipality in The State of Michigan have had to make drastic cuts. Just drive through your neighborhood and look at the homes that are vacant. No tax money will be paid, the census in Genesee Twp. has dropped due to people moving out of the state to find work so State Revenue Sharing is cut and it goes on from there. Why is it Flint City has Crime spilling into Genesee Township, no work no pay and you could also say crime in Genesee Twp is spilling over into Mt. Morris City and then into Clio and so on. I would also like to see the facts of the crime in Flint City spilling into Genesee Township. I will await those factual figures. The people voted down a increase for Law Enforcement and now, you think The Township Board should go against a public vote of the People of Genesee Township. I thought a vote was to allow the people to speak as a whole, so why is it you seem to feel all those that voted down the increase were just joking around and the board should go against the "WISHES OF THE PEOPLE OF GENESEE TOWNSHIP" By the way did you even vote. Well it is a sad day when people of Genesee Township feel there snide remarks will only help to make good people that believe in a Democracy feel their vote never counted and shame on any of you that feel The Township Vote was just a sham by the residents, that took their time to vote their mind. The next thing is people will be calling the people that voted "BOBBLE HEADS" Where is this world headed.

Inappropriate? Alert us.Reply Post new

48506 March 16, 2011 at 5:01AM
Follow

Look up the word "pay" in Webster's. That would be a dictionary. "Pay" although a long definition includes "compensation." Now the definition of "compensation" same dictionary although long again includes: salary, benefits, gains, coverages ect. If Ms. Sowulewski had invested in a dictionary before trying to find ways to waste my tax dollars, she would have found salary, benefits and coverages (health) are all included in a salaried/management position.

I believe the township has two Genesee Township laid off police officers currently working part time @ $11.00 hour. Now does this make them inexperieneced police officers? If so, why bring them back full time? Just a thougt busted48506. Also, I thought the township has a retired Genesee County Deputy working for us over 15 years. Further, the board also hired a laid off Flint City police officer with over 12 years, and a Detroit police officer with years of experience. Now this looks like over 40 years (including returned GT laid off police officers) total police experience working part time. And why would any police department hire a full time a police officer out of the academy? Don't they know their inexperience is a waste of money under busted48506 theory!
Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There was a story several years ago that detailed the true costs of mobile home parks and the tax breaks they received. Other studies show that it takes commercial development to create a strong tax base as often homeowners alone don't generate the necessary revenue to support a community.

I heard that one recall subject commented that it was unfair to be recalled over comments made before they were elected/ HMMMM! Interesting point as they were not elected officials then and the recall should not include anything before that urrent term,Recall language filed for five Genesee Township board members
Published: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 6:07 PM Updated: Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 10:24 AM
By Roberto Acosta | Flint Journal The Flint Journal
Follow
Share10
53 Share close
Google Buzz

Digg

Stumble Upon

Fark
Share Email Print
GENESEE TOWNSHIP, Michigan — Genesee Township resident Christina Sowulewski said failed promises and cuts to law enforcement have driven her to take out recall petitions with the Genesee County Election Commission against five board members.

The language states Supervisor Steven D.Fuhr, Clerk Wayne Bates and trustees David Stephens, Kathy Sutton and Patricia Witte have “neglected to fulfill campaign promises to reduce board pay by thirty (30) percent and endangered public safety by laying off police officers.”

“They stated they were going to cut their pay by 30 percent and they haven't,” said Sowulewski, 31, adding the officials are putting the public at risk by cutting officers.

“We have a lot of crime in Flint that spills over into Genesee Township that people are not aware of,” she said.

Bates and Fuhr refuted the claims, stating Sowulewski has asked the board to force a special assessment on residents and while not making an actual promise to cut 30 percent of their wages, they have cut more.

Bates argued with a 10 percent pay cut by all board members and doing away with medical benefits, the board has reduced their overall wages by an even larger amount.

"She's just trying to say that we haven't reduced our pay by 30 percent," he said. "There was no promise."

Fuhr said a special assessment in May 2010 failed for public safety and "nobody on the board wants to override the vote of the people."

While the department laid off six officers in June 2010, the township has since brought back one of the officers full-time, two part-time and hired five additional part-time officers, said police Chief Tod Sorenson. Fuhr asked all the laid-off officers to come back at part-time, but he said they rejected the offer.

Of the reduction in payment, Fuhr said "she has to look at the big picture" concerning reductions in wages, compensation, retirement and health benefits.

Sutton, Witte and Stephens could not be reached for comment.

A March 22 clarity hearing is scheduled before the election commission to approve or reject the recall petition language.
Post Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:10 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

About 5,350,000 results (0.25 seconds) Search ResultsTaxes - Homestead Property Tax CreditMichigan's property tax credit is a way the State of Michigan helps you pay some .... Mobile Home Park Resident - You may claim $3 per month (12 months x $3 ...
www.michigan.gov/taxes/0,1607,7-238-43535_43538---,00.html - Cached - Similar

►[PDF] Chapter 5 Property Taxes Page 5.1 Library of Michigan Financial ... File Format:- Block all michigan.gov results
Not helpful? You can block michigan.gov results when you're signed in to search. michigan.gov
PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
trailer parks are exempt since they constitute personal property (they pay a ...
www.michigan.gov/documents/hal_lm_finmanref5_66299_7.pdf -

SimilarTREASURY - State Tax Commission Bulletin No. 16 of 1998 RE: $3.00/MONTH SPECIFIC TAX IN LIEU OF PROPERTY TAXES ON TRAILER COACHES ...
www.michigan.gov/.../0,1607,7-121-1751_2228_2230_3540-7863--,00.html -
Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:14 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: