FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: On this day in 1876

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Today, in 1876, the United States ordered all Native Americans to move onto reservations.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Which freed up land for Flint settlers?
Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:40 am 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

The US government stole the land and its riches which is the truth of the matter. Just Like they stole other lands and resources that belonged to Native American's.
Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:14 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Which made many families hide their mixed heritage and move here from the east.
Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:26 pm 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

What pisses me off is that so often untanglingweb you go of script and talk about things that are not germane to the topic. Your last post has nothing to do with the topic starter. Which had nothing in my opinion to do with mixed heritage. Regardless of your spin untanglingweb the truth still remains the same. The U.S. government stole the land not only in Michigan but throughout the nation. You need to stick to documented trueful facts
Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:05 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The mixed heritage Webs is talking about is Native American & white mixed. Many were probably afraid they'd be forced to move to reservations too, so they moved to a place where their heritage was unknown.

BTW, my wife is 1/8 Cherokee.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Web should have explained it more clearly. My grandmother has native american heritage too.
Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:03 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Those of Native American heritage were forced to hide their origins. Even in Michigan they were ostracized for being half breeds.

Older full blooded Odawas (Ottawas) from the Harbor Springs area tell of the fights and abuse they suffered growing up at the hands of their white peers. One female Odawa in the Indian Education program spoke of how times had changed. She said she had to go from hiding her heritage to promoting it.

Growing up my half Indian friend told everyone her family was French Canadian to explain the darker skin of some of her family members.
Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:21 pm 
Cornbread Maxwell
F L I N T O I D

Just a side note about Flint's history and the local indians - the land we know as Flint was basically given to Jacob Smith by Chief Naomi during the 1819 treaty. Fascinating story of multicultrualism and forgiveness just to name a couple themes I think of off the top of my head.
Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:27 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Dr Earl Prahl, former Anthropology/Archaelogy Professor at U of M-Flint did an archaelogical study of flint and he delved into the history of the Smith Reservation. Smith took an Ojibwa name and gave his children similar names. Per the treaty, the reservation was intended to be for people of native American descent and was not intended by the government for Smith and his descendants. However, the streets are now named for his family and few, if any, native people claimed land here.

The Indian Center had a copy of his study.
Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:40 pm 
Cornbread Maxwell
F L I N T O I D

It really is a fascinating story. He had an English wife and fought against the indians during the battle of 1812 only to mend the relations with the indians afterward. He and all his children were given indian names - and there are rumors that he even fathered children by an indian woman. When Gen. Cass invited Chief Naomi and the other Chippewa chiefs to Saginaw, there was a stalemate that went on for days - the English wanted the Indians to give up their land and the Indians weren't really in the giving mood. In walks Jacob Smith. He and Cass already disliked each other and had public bursts in the past - something Chief Naomi had to have known about. Smith talks to Naomi and convinces him to give up the Saginaw Valley (by this time the Chippewas knew they had no choice - leave or die essentially) but with certain provisions: 7000 acres of land divided into 11 tracts set along the Flint River at the Grand Traverse to be used for Indian purposes. When it came time to appropriate who those tracts of land went to, Smith listed his children but used their Indian names - under the full knowledge and approval of Chief Naomi. So essentially, one can look at the first white settler in Flint as the Chippewas way of thumbing their nose at General Cass by naming his rivals children as the landowners.
Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:27 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

How many people remember that Grand Traverse was formerly named Smith Street?

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:15 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Cornbread Maxwell schreef:
Just a side note about Flint's history and the local indians - the land we know as Flint was basically given to Jacob Smith by Chief Naomi during the 1819 treaty. Fascinating story of multicultrualism and forgiveness just to name a couple themes I think of off the top of my head.

THE 1819 SAGINAW CESSION and TREATY

The History of Genesee County, MI
Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:04 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Indian Removal Act, part of an American government policy known as Indian removal, was signed into law by President Andrew Jackson on May 26, 1830.[1]

President Andrew Jackson called for an Indian Removal Act in his 1829 speech on the issue.The Removal Act was strongly supported in the South, where states were eager to gain access to lands inhabited by the Five Civilized Tribes. In particular, Georgia, the largest state at that time, was involved in a contentious jurisdictional dispute with the Cherokee nation. President Jackson hoped removal would resolve the Georgia crisis. The Indian Removal Act was also very controversial. While Native American removal was, in theory, supposed to be voluntary, in practice great pressure was put on Native American leaders to sign removal treaties. Most observers, whether they were in favor of the Indian removal policy or not, realized that the passage of the act meant the inevitable removal of most Indians from the states. Some Native American leaders who had previously resisted removal now began to reconsider their positions, especially after Jackson's landslide re-election in 1832.

Most European Americans favored the passage of the Indian Removal Act, though there was significant opposition. Many Christian missionaries, most notably missionary organizer Jeremiah Evarts, protested against passage of the Act. In Congress, New Jersey Senator Theodore Frelinghuysen and Congressman Davy Crockett of Tennessee spoke out against the legislation. The Removal Act was passed after bitter debate in Congress.[2]

The Removal Act paved the way for the reluctant—and often forcible—emigration of tens of thousands of American Indians to the West. The first removal treaty signed after the Removal Act was the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek on September 27, 1830, in which Choctaws in Mississippi ceded land east of the river in exchange for payment and land in the West. Choctaw chief (thought to be Thomas Harkins or Nitikechi) quoted to the Arkansas Gazette that the 1831 Choctaw removal was a "trail of tears and death."[3][4] The Treaty of New Echota (signed in 1835) resulted in the removal of the Cherokee on the Trail of Tears. The Seminoles did not leave peacefully as did other tribes; along with fugitive slaves they resisted the removal. The Second Seminole War lasted from 1835 to 1842 and resulted in the forced removal of Seminoles, only a small number to remain, and around 3,000 were killed amongst American soldiers and Seminoles.[5]

In 1823 the Supreme Court handed down a decision (Johnson v. M'Intosh) which stated that Indians could occupy lands within the United States, but could not hold title to those lands.[6]
Post Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:19 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
ronald barry robinson schreef:
Web should have explained it more clearly. My grandmother has native american heritage too.

Since the topic was native Americans, I assumed it was clear. Not all mixed heritage is Blacks.
Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:38 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: