FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Buick City Prison Complex
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
as far as an outlet mall, I can't see it being viable with Great Lakes Crossing and Birch Run being 30 minutes in either direction....

True, but neither one was there when they closed the plants! at least that's the way I remember it. I could be wrong. But I know Great lakes wasn't there then! And it was brought to the table to build one there (it seems) before the one in Birch run was built.

National Guard. I've thought that also in the past. What was it that they did in Gary Indiana when the State took over Gary? i agree whole heartedly. I'm not for the STATE run government. However, Something drastic has got to happen in Flint. Before it will change! If our local politicians continue to refuse to put the funding into actually fighting crime. Wasting officers limited time and resources busting up Church Dances, and imaginary drug busts at clubs. Someone has got to have the authority to step in! State Federal etc.

Oh and your NYC example. RIGHT ON THE MONEY! I’ve been talking about that for years now. BTW NYC did it while both poverty and unemployment went up and Crime dropped 50 Percent! It was only a few years later that AFTER crime came down that NYC’s Poverty and unemployment dropped. That’s my whole point! Fix the Crime Problem. The other problems won’t go away completely. But they will go down drastically. I just feel Flint needs just a little more of a solution. We need to tackle our education system here also. Once we solve the crime issue. We need to have the talent and education level to begin to grow! Thus a 4 year program or solution will not be sufficient.

For some stupid reason I believed the Don and thought his ideas if he was able to implement them would benefit this city long term. I didn’t realize he didn’t really mean to implement any of them! And then continue on with the worst example of despotism and cronyism Flint has ever seen. Placing some of the most unqualified people in positions of decision making and planning for the future than anyone on record.
Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I think if we targeted violent crime we might be able to make a dent. I'm not really sure what our Flint police are targeting but apparently there is no plan and I doubt there is effective leadership. I think we should first target murders and then go down the line. The current reality is that If you kill someone in Flint you will most likely get away with it unless you fall prey to street justice. I think either we need to begin solving our crime prblem by solving our murder cases. Most places use punishment to deter crime. If we can not punish people for committing murder (the most serious of crimes) what makes us think we can punish other crimes. From what I have heard we save some money by not having enough investigators for things like murder cases. Solving murder case should our highest priority always and not just if the victim is a popular white street racer or if the case is popular.
Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:44 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I'm With Roscoe, and Rudy. Let's start by treating every crime as one that is deserving of attention! Make officers accountable. Make Sgt's accountable and so on up the chain. Appoint a police chief and then hold him accountable!

Open the City Jail in order to handle the influx of Criminals.

THe thing that gets me is that the City Jail Could have housed up to 128 prisioners. Yet? The most it ever had at one time was 58. THis goes back to the study that I had read from the eighties. That a felon in prision had committed about 180 some crimes the year before he was finally caught and arrestted. One thing I found interesting, was the mention, that many of these felons had been picked up or even ticketted by police for many of these smaller, less serious and less violent crimes! And that they had committed many other felony crimes that they had never been caught or punished for. Start treating each crime as important! Each crime is a priority. Each crmie deserves the police departments attention to solve! Then you will see crime change in Flint!
Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

Sounds we are all on the same page. Amazing!

I am a huge fan of COMPSTAT the NYPD computer program that monitors crime and sticks officers in problem areas. It's amazing.

In addition to launching COMPSTAT, the following happened in NYC to help reduce crime. (From Wikipedia)

* The training and deployment of around 5,000 new better-educated police officers

* The integration of New York's housing and transit police into the New York Police Department

* Police decision-making devolved to precinct level

* The clearing of a backlog of 50,000 unserved warrants

* Mayor Giuliani's robust 'zero tolerance' campaign against petty crime and anti-social behavior (this is the broken windows concept)

* Widespread removal of graffiti

* Programs that moved over 500,000 people into jobs from welfare at a time of economic buoyancy

* Offering housing vouchers to enable poor families to move to better neighborhoods.
Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:45 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Now, if you could search this forum back far enough. You’ll find references to my disgust with this Mayor's "Cotton Candy" Approach to CompStat/Broken Windows. Just do what people can see. Nothing else. Just enough to get people to think you where doing it. But not enough to actually accomplish anything. I was pointing this out immediately. Within the First 6 Months. OCUH I even have some of my analogies on my website.

http://www.cityofflint.net/one_way_works.htm

This was just a document able example, not within the six month period. I wasn’t tracking everything I’ve written until then.
Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:34 pm 
CandyCane
F L I N T O I D

State Prison or Federal Prison? Either way, I think we can use it. The United States has the most incarcerated people out of any country in the world. 1 out of every 32 adults.
Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:28 pm 
Karen

That site should be used for a more contributing purpose.
Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:37 pm 
rapunzel

I believe the city jail can only now be used as a holding facility. 48hrs?
Laws say medical staff etc. have to be on site wether 58 inmates or 600?

Overhead operational cost? not sure what all entails.
Community members have asked for a tour of the closed City jail.

We have not been met with open arms though we toured the county jail.

We would like to see the pros and cons, no pun intended.

If the city jail being opened is not cost efficent then let's put the idea past and come up with a cost efficent alternative.

The county jail was overcrowded the day it was built because the citizens would not pass a millage.

Yet they pass parks, buses and library forever millages.

Hell, you can't enjoy the parks when criminals are there, you could walk to work or school if it was safe.

The two most important safety millages are the schools to educate for employment and the county jail to incarcerate small crimes prior to them becoming murders.

My house taxes can't afford one more millage so citizens need to address priorities.
Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:54 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

The City jail Cost in terms of DOLLARS approx 1.5 million a year to operate.
It's first year reopened it brought in 360,000 in fines and tickets payoffs from people not wanting to go to jail. After that it averaged 330,000 a year. While still costing 1.5 the benefit of crime going down instead of up is PRICELESS!!

There was a few programs in the works to help defray the costs of the city Jail.
Leased to other municipalities. The benefits and cost savings to the other local communities was immense. Only POLITICS stood in the way. And it still stands in the way! I could list a number of benefits if you'd like.

quote:
If the city jail being opened is not cost efficient then let's put the idea past and come up with a cost efficient alternative.
Ok let's use the old argument. If taking guns out of the hands of children saves one life than it's worth it. If putting any number of criminals behind bars at a cost of 1.5 million a year. So that one life is saved? How do you add up those costs?

These people getting put into the City jail were regular offenders. Many Hardened or hardening criminals. They had no remorse and no desire to change their behavior. All's they were looking at is how they can get out of there and continue to do what they've been doing to get put in there in the first place!

With the Jail CLOSED right NOW! I already know of stories were officers would have arrested a criminal for a crime had they been able to put him in jail the first time. Yet, this same criminal was detained twice in the same night for the same thing and released again into the community. Do you think the criminal is going to stop since he was caught twice? Do you think he is going to appear in court after being released PFI Pending Further Investigation? Do you think he is going to actually appear in court on his appointed appearance date? The People need to wake up and remove this horse’s @#$% and let’s get something done!

This just gets my goat. MAYOR OPEN UP THE JAIL!
Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:15 pm 
pissed off ma ma bear

BIGGIE9 ,,,,you did it again,,,you made me laugh again,,,thanks I need laughs,,,laughing about just fencing in Flint that the criminals are already in place,,,,First we do have to get all the good Flint talk people out , and the Laundry room guys, and Steve and you,,,
Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:07 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: