FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  »Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > The In My Opinion Show

Topic: FLINT IN CRISIS

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

An economic emergency moratorium must be enacted now. Flint, Michigan may not have been hit with a natural disaster that devastated the island nation of Haiti where tens of thousands have lost there lives. But Flint has been hit economical by a man made disaster that is destructive and devastating. Citizens in effect are still dying. For the last 43 months Michigan has lead the nation in actual job losses. Published reports state Michigan over the last several months 700,000 thousand men, women and young adults have lost jobs. The vast majority in urban area's. And to add more misery to a troubled state millions of homes are in foreclosure. In Flint, Michigan it is estimated that over 50 per-cent of the employable are un-employed, and thousands of homes are being or have been foreclosed upon. Evictions are running rampant. People are living in the streets, abandoned buildings, cars and 4 or 5 families are living in single dwelling homes. Lives are being destroyed never the less due to electric, gas and water shut-offs. Neighborhoods are being destroyed by these feeding frenzies on foreclosures, evictions and job loses orchestrated by big business. City services have been diminished or eliminated due to lay-offs and un-funded city departments. Schools continue to fail un-challenged with a 40 percent graduation rate. Violence is on the rise. The citizens of Flint, Michigan need emergency action by the Obama administration to meet the economic disaster that has hit. Under Michigan law, specifically MCL 30.31 upon application of the mayor the governor can proclaim a state of emergency and designate the area involved. Mayor Walling needs to formally apply to Governor Granholm to declare a State of Emergency in Flint and demand she use the police powers to place a 2 year moratorium on foreclosure, evictions and utility shut-offs in the city. Granholm has a moral and ethical responsibility to the citizens of Flint that elected her to office to save our community and lives. History tells us that the Michigan legislature during the great depression of the 1930's declared a 5 year halt to foreclosures, evictions. The recently enacted "Helping Families stay in their homes Act, and the Home Economic Recovery Act must be strictly enforced by the U.S. Dept of Justice. Visit The "In My Opinion" show via flinttalkradio.com to view the latest in Internet television.
Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:25 pm 
FlintBeerMan
F L I N T O I D

you make sense

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:20 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Don't worry. Now Obama is working on that "Green Jobs" program that Granholm started. Get ready to really be 'blown away".

Link
Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:01 am 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

I hate to be the one that said I told you so. But read my post of February 1, 2010 "Flint In Crisis". Flint is now faced with more than a $20 million dollar debt and could possibly reach $30 million. It's wishful thinking to think any responsible financial institution is going to lend the city that much money especialy in lieu of Flint's disastrous financial and poor leadership history. "Let just say for conversation purposes" if someone was to lend the city that money how would the city be able to pay it back without raising taxes or asking for bonds of which the voters would defeat. Citizens and businesses are already over taxed, no new businesses want to locate in flint. People are leaving this city in droves there is virtually no jobs. The only people making money are the lawyers, criminals and criminal justice arena's. The state is poised and will again come in and take-over leadership control of the city of Flint, Michigan according to confidential sources. Walling needs to stop the grandstanding he cannot stop the hemorrhage. The city must file for bankruptcy now. If given a new lease on life this city will prosper.
Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:30 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

The Governor should declare Genesee County a Disaster Area and enable us to get federal funds.

quote:
ronald barry robinson schreef:
An economic emergency moratorium must be enacted now. Flint, Michigan may not have been hit with a natural disaster that devastated the island nation of Haiti where tens of thousands have lost there lives. But Flint has been hit economical by a man made disaster that is destructive and devastating. Citizens in effect are still dying. For the last 43 months Michigan has lead the nation in actual job losses. Published reports state Michigan over the last several months 700,000 thousand men, women and young adults have lost jobs. The vast majority in urban area's. And to add more misery to a troubled state millions of homes are in foreclosure. In Flint, Michigan it is estimated that over 50 per-cent of the employable are un-employed, and thousands of homes are being or have been foreclosed upon. Evictions are running rampant. People are living in the streets, abandoned buildings, cars and 4 or 5 families are living in single dwelling homes. Lives are being destroyed never the less due to electric, gas and water shut-offs. Neighborhoods are being destroyed by these feeding frenzies on foreclosures, evictions and job loses orchestrated by big business. City services have been diminished or eliminated due to lay-offs and un-funded city departments. Schools continue to fail un-challenged with a 40 percent graduation rate. Violence is on the rise. The citizens of Flint, Michigan need emergency action by the Obama administration to meet the economic disaster that has hit. Under Michigan law, specifically MCL 30.31 upon application of the mayor the governor can proclaim a state of emergency and designate the area involved. Mayor Walling needs to formally apply to Governor Granholm to declare a State of Emergency in Flint and demand she use the police powers to place a 2 year moratorium on foreclosure, evictions and utility shut-offs in the city. Granholm has a moral and ethical responsibility to the citizens of Flint that elected her to office to save our community and lives. History tells us that the Michigan legislature during the great depression of the 1930's declared a 5 year halt to foreclosures, evictions. The recently enacted "Helping Families stay in their homes Act, and the Home Economic Recovery Act must be strictly enforced by the U.S. Dept of Justice. Visit The "In My Opinion" show via flinttalkradio.com to view the latest in Internet television.

Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

We can't pay our bills now, so let's take on even more debt that we won't be able to repay. Yeah, that'll work.
What percentage of the property in the city is owned by the land bank, which pays no taxes on it and is exempt from all ordinances regarding blight?
How much revenue will the city lose due to the proposed property tax exemptions for University park?

It is way past the time to eliminate all services that are not essential. Cut everything except police, fire & trash collection. If the city isn't at least perceived as safe, nothing else matters.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:58 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Who can we Thank?
Reagan for the rewrite of the Tax laws that made it beneficial to outsource jobs. (the precursor outsourcing to over seas)
Engler for rewriting Insurance Law so that the Poor Pay more for Insurance int he State of Michigan on Cars and Homes.
Every president since who has helped more jobs overseas (Bush and Clinton for Nafta)
Flint City Council who has given GM so many Tax advantages to invest in Flint that are now on properties that don't even have Buildings anymore.
The People for Continuing to vote the same idiots into office that were running the City into the Ground.
The non Profits that were taking the grant money and using very little of it to actually help people in Need.
And now Our current president who seems to be attacking the poor by encouraging Higher gas prices and refusing to do anything about out trade deficits with other countries.

We have people on Fixed incomes that can no longer afford to pay their once budgeted bills and taxes.
Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Let's start with the city council who helps protect us from "evil" job creators by making it a pain in the ass to try and create jobs in Flint with our hundreds of pages of ordinances and numerous potential fines to be paid by job creators. It took us three years just to get a stupid "hoop house" in Flint. Think of the other less motivated businesses that didn't want to wait around 3 years to create jobs in Flint.

Also don't frorget about home business bans currently in place.
Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:30 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: