FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Clawson Supports Walling Recall

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
patclawson
F L I N T O I D

The people are speaking. That is good. The recall process is an important part of our democracy. It must be allowed to proceed.

David Davenport and his group of concerned citizens may have succeeded in obtaining enough valid signatures to get this issue on the ballot. If so, let the recall go forward. The right of the citizens to vote must be honored.

Over 14,000 petition signatures have been gathered. That's over 2,000 more people than voted for Dayne Walling in the 2009 election. That's quite a wake-up call. The howls of protest from Dayne Walling - and threats of criminal investigation from Prosecutor David Leyton - are just the protective reaction of a political class that is threatened by the power of organized and informed citizens.

Like Ronald Reagan used to say, trust the people to do the right thing.

I support the recall of Dayne Walling. The single most important function of government is to protect the safety of its citizens. Nothing else comes close. In this key task, Dayne Walling is failing miserably.

I had high hopes for him in the beginning, but Dayne Walling is proving to be a collossal disappointment as Mayor. He's a nice guy and well-intentioned, but he is out of his league in this job. He may be a Rhodes Scholar, but he lacks street smarts and executive experience. He forever forfeited his claim to be a reform mayor when he appointed as his top aides a fellow with a track record of sexual harrassment lawsuits and a woman who was convicted of a felony for shaking down a local crime figure. His hiring of a group of cronies at high salaries while Flint citizens are impoverished and suffering is another example of his failure of leadership.

The citizens do not need to wait out his term of office to decide they were tricked by his campaign promises. They have the power and right to fire him now for poor performance. Firings happen in the private sector all the time when employees don't measure up, and Michigan statutes provides a way to legally terminate the employment of incompetent elected officials. After all, the citizens are the bosses - not the politicians. We should never be afraid when citizens exercise their power over government officials.

However, as Flint citizens move forward with the recall process, one must ask: Who and where is the person with the talent, wisdom, executive experience - and thick skin - to replace Walling and get the city turned around?

I don't see any current political leader in the City of Flint who has what it takes to get this job done. What is needed is someone from outside the system to fill the leadership vacuum.

The City of Flint critically needs a person with a plan and clear principles. Someone who is tough, decisive, competent and not afraid to take names and kick tail like New York City's Rudy Giuliani. Who is that person? Will you please step forward?

I hope that the Governor of Michigan does not have to appoint another emergency manager.

Pat Clawson
Libertarian Party Candidate
Michigan State Senate - 27th District
patrickclawson@comcast.net
Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

"I hope that the Governor of Michigan does not have to appoint another emergency manager." - Pat Clawson

That's certainly a better option than having Eason move up to the position of a recalled mayor! However, I agree with your opinion about "needing someone from outside the system to fill the leadership vacuum." I'm sure there would be many with opposing views so it will be interesting to see the outcome of this ensuing disaster.
Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:43 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The State may come in as we now, under Walling, have a $15 million deficit. And he continues to hire his cronies. He can't blame this deficit on Williamson.
Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:49 pm 
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Mr. Clawson I respect you a lot and appreciate you coming forward. Knowing first hand how this administration works I am appauld by Mr. Walling's lack of common sense. Most people at city hall support him being recalled as well
Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: