FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: PROTEST AT A CULTURAL CENTER FUNDRAISER
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
PISSED OFF HISTORIAN

To anyone interested in protesting the Manning Court demolitions
at Historic District Commissioner Steve Heddy's fundraiser to raise
money for the Flint Institute of Music (that Heddy SHOULD have
abstained from voting on), the party will be held at Heddy's home,
1212 Woodlawn Park Drive in Flint. It will be from 11 am to 3 p.m.
on Sunday, december 3. 2006. THIS GUY IS A LOSER, LETS GET OUT IN FRONT OF THE HOUSE AND SHOW HIM THAT HE SCREWED UP
Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:05 am 
John

WAY TO GO FLINT STONES! THIS IS A GREAT IDEA. ABOUT TIME THE ACTIVISTS IN FLINT SPEAK OUT AND GET OUT. I WILL TRY TO ATTEND
Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:06 am 
rapunzel

This could very well backfire...think about it. If we get media to show up and very few show up to protest...it will look like few care?

Truth is many care but have other events to attend close to the holiday. Many would sign a petition on line or in person but can not be moved or shown at event.

NEED A PETITION! Someone that can make signs? A few on the camera can make it look strong depending on who runs the camera or writes the story.

NEED ACTIVE PARTICIPANTS! Please share with others on your email groups.

Notice how many do not sign real name? Big money is for demolition.

Peace,
RAP
Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:39 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel schreef:
This could very well backfire...think about it. If we get media to show up and very few show up to protest...it will look like few care?

Truth is many care but have other events to attend close to the holiday. Many would sign a petition on line or in person but can not be moved or shown at event.

NEED A PETITION! Someone that can make signs? A few on the camera can make it look strong depending on who runs the camera or writes the story.

NEED ACTIVE PARTICIPANTS! Please share with others on your email groups.

Notice how many do not sign real name? Big money is for demolition.

Peace,
RAP

Also, why the focus on this one person? There were 4 people voting to demolish. Does this mean you plan to have 4 protest events? Would there be a negative back-lash for picketing an individual's private home...granted he's conducting a fund-raiser there, but his event would also be perceived as for a good cause. Shouldn't the real target be the Cultural Center/FIM administration that asked the historical commission to approve THEIR [CC/FIM] plans to demolish the homes? It could look like some people picking on one person for a different agenda.

The real target ought to be the people who want to turn the homes into an historical asphalt parking lot, not the shlubs who agreed to give them what they wanted.

And as Rap says, if you are going for a media event, you better make sure you have a significant presence, else you end up looking bad and hurt the cause.

Better think this one through and prepare properly.

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:13 am 
Dayne

All we have to do is be on the public right away. sidewalk, or street
Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:37 am 
GregoryJVanucci
F L I N T O I D

Anyone interested should visit www.eastvillagemagazine.org to read about the Manning Street Houses to be demolished or the Flint Historic District Commission.

The website has photos of some of the Manning Street houses, the city's historic district ordinance, as well as other related stories, opinion pieces and a brief history of the historic district.

Please, send your letters by e-mail to eastvillagemagazine@excite.com, as letters to the editor are encouraged.

The stories speak for themselves. Additional stories are not planned, but are probably inevitable.

P.S., I don't regularly come to this site, as I do not have the internet at home or work. Please, forgive any slowness in responding to you if you attempt to contact me other than through the above mentioned e-mail address.

Last edited by GregoryJVanucci on Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
John

quote:
GregoryJVanucci schreef:
Anyone interested in reading about the Manning Street Houses to be demolished or the Flint Historic District Commission is encouraged to visit www.eastvillagemagazine.org.

The website has photos of some of the Manning Street houses, the city's historic district ordinance, as well as other related stories, opinion pieces and a brief history of the historic district.

Letters to the editor are encouraged. Please, send your letters by e-mail to eastvillagemagazine@excite.com.

The stories speak for themselves. Additional stories are not planned, but are probably inevitable.

P.S., I don't regularly come to this site, as I do not have the internet at home or work. Please, forgive any slowness in responding to you if you attempt to contact me other than through the above mentioned e-mail address.

According to Steve Heddy, Greg your going to be at the protest?
Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:51 pm 
GregoryJVanucci
F L I N T O I D

Dear John,

(I never thought I'd write one of those dear John letters....)

I realise this is after the fact, but I actually have to come to the library to use the internet, so forgive my delay in responding.

No, I did not go to the protest, nor did I ever have any intention of going, nor did I tell or hint to anyone that I would be there.

I was thinking of going as an observer (to possibly write about the event), but was too tied up in preparing the next issue of EVM. Its issue date is always the second saturday of the month and needs to be finished about a week in advance. We come out Dec. 9 (unless my math is bad).

As a rule, I must not take part in the activities of any formal or informal group, as I might appear to have a conflict of interest. I may not be a member of any group, participate in demonstrations either against or in support, sign petitions, or "break bread" at any organization's meetings. At meetings I usually sit apart from the group and must refrain from making any comments - certainly, no public comments.

I can vote during civic elections, but that's about it.

Trust me, there are many things I'd like to join in, sign, etc., but I can't and still maintain jounalistic integrity.

That having been said, if I had to choose between participating and informing people, so they have the information they need to make decisions they want to make to improve or maintain their quality of life, I choose to do the the latter with no regrets.

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Joe

quote:
GregoryJVanucci schreef:
Dear John,

(I never thought I'd write one of those dear John letters....)

I realise this is after the fact, but I actually have to come to the library to use the internet, so forgive my delay in responding.

No, I did not go to the protest, nor did I ever have any intention of going, nor did I tell or hint to anyone that I would be there.

I was thinking of going as an observer (to possibly write about the event), but was too tied up in preparing the next issue of EVM. Its issue date is always the second saturday of the month and needs to be finished about a week in advance. We come out Dec. 9 (unless my math is bad).

As a rule, I must not take part in the activities of any formal or informal group, as I might appear to have a conflict of interest. I may not be a member of any group, participate in demonstrations either against or in support, sign petitions, or "break bread" at any organization's meetings. At meetings I usually sit apart from the group and must refrain from making any comments - certainly, no public comments.

I can vote during civic elections, but that's about it.

Trust me, there are many things I'd like to join in, sign, etc., but I can't and still maintain jounalistic integrity.

That having been said, if I had to choose between participating and informing people, so they have the information they need to make decisions they want to make to improve or maintain their quality of life, I choose to do the the latter with no regrets.

WHY NOT?
Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:32 pm 
DemolitionMan
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dayne schreef:
Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:07 pm 
DemolitionMan
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dayne schreef:

ATTENTION ALL TREEHUGGERS:

The Supreme Court has ruled that The First Amendment does not allow picketting of a personal residence, but maybe you whiners don't care about majority rules judicial systems.
Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:12 pm 
DemolitionMan
F L I N T O I D

I attended the Holiday Walk and had a great time. Oh by the way...there was not a Save Manning Court demonstration....way to go, you really showed them...you are all a bunch of no organizational skills crash test dummies.
Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:18 pm 
Demolition Man Sucks C_ck

quote:
DemolitionMan schreef:
quote:
Dayne schreef:

ATTENTION ALL TREEHUGGERS:

The Supreme Court has ruled that The First Amendment does not allow picketting of a personal residence, but maybe you whiners don't care about majority rules judicial systems.

Is the sidewalk private residences?
Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:19 pm 
DELETED

DELETED

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:05 am 
Jessica

Me either, i was pissed i wasted my time... Sad
Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:09 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: