FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Goodbye Dawn Jones and Steve Montle!!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintBeerMan
F L I N T O I D

Flint City Council tells the mayor to get rid of the dead beats.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Word around city hall is he is trying to figure a way to divide their salaries around other departments. Could be hard to do as council will be watching and they eliminated the "vacant but budgeted" for positions out of the budget.

Walling did not try to veto as it would have been an embarassment. Josh Freeman did everything right as he kept all council in the loop and informed throughout the process. Walling could not undo their solidarity and he could not get his votes to push his veto through. It would take 6 votes for council to override the veto and Walling needed to have 4 on his side.

Watch for more budget shenanigans as Walling thinks he can do anything.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:41 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

He'll do everything he can to keep them. The heck with the citizens, cronies uber alles.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

I wonder what Jones et al have on Walling that makes him so eager to try to keep their lard butts in high paying jobs where ,it seems, very little is required of them.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:44 pm 
monlynn810
F L I N T O I D

quote:
1pissedoffguy schreef:
I wonder what Jones et al have on Walling that makes him so eager to try to keep their lard butts in high paying jobs where ,it seems, very little is required of them.

LOL, my husband was saying the exact same thing today! It does make one think, doesn't it?
Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:52 pm 
monlynn810
F L I N T O I D

I wouldn't be baking the "goodbye" cakes just yet...

quote:
Cathy Shafran
More: Bio, E-mail, News Team

FLINT (WJRT) -- (06/15/10) -- Flint's mayor is now talking about an intricate plan of how he'll save four key appointees on his staff.

City Council tried to eliminate the positions with budget cuts.

Last week, City Council took a unanimous stand to eliminate hundreds of thousands of dollars from the courts, economic development and the mayor's staff as a way to bring back weekly garbage collection and jail space.

Mayor Dayne Walling said even though he's not vetoing the council's budget, he's not taking their direction lying down either. Walling said he's figured ways to keep his appointees with little or no money in his budget.

Some, he says, will be funded through grants. Others will be funded from various city departments using a formula that calculates how much they work for those departments.

He used the governmental policy director's position as an example. "One of the primary responsibilities of the director of government policy is to follow state and federal grants. Those state and federal grants do not go to the mayor's office, they do not go to the city administrator's office," he said.

"They go to Department of Public Works, the Department of Public Safety, the Department of Economic Development. So if those dollars, that service is going to be available, it's going to be drawn from those department's personnel line items."

So their salaries will be drawn from different budgets based on the work they perform.

City Council finance chair Josh Freeman, who was a primary architect of the council's cuts, learned of the mayor's plans today from ABC12.

Freeman said the council was clear in what it intended with the amendments. "If that's the way the mayor chooses to use the city's limited resources, people in Flint will have to hold him accountable for the decisions he makes," Freeman said.

"We'll create a formula based on a work history of where those services are most needed," Walling said. "It will be based on a formula, so we'll create a formula."

"The green city coordinator will be, in part, funded through the energy efficiency and conservation block grant."

The citizens services director, who is spending a great deal of time involved in public safety, has been for a number of months funded by the foot patrol grant.

Already responding to those who say the mayor will be keeping his appointees at the expense of some police work or economic development or DPW work, Walling said he's convinced his appointees are needed to make the city grow.

"It's not a matter of one person for another. It's a matter of the right combination."

The mayor said all his department heads are working right now on making employee changes because of the budget cuts.

He expects to have word on those changes by the end of the week.
(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:12 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Freeman said there was enough money in the budget for either Jones or David Solis, Director of Governmental Operations. There is no way any logical person would pick Jones over Solis, who has an excellent record and is extremely qualified.

Makes you wonder if Jones deliberately slanted the news to favor Walling as a WJRT tv 12 reporter. Or maybe it is her relationship to the christian radio show and Walling's own radio show.
Post Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:16 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Or she still has enough connections at channel 12 to make sure their coverage is favorable to Walling.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling screwed the unions again. They made over $4 million in changes and concessions to help the city. Contractors are cutting the medians because Walling let the county use city equipment. City employees donated their time to clean up Mott Park Golf course (which angered Walling).

And now he is taking money from union employees to pay his staff. David Solis, Wallings best choice, had his salary safe. Walling obviously chose to use it for Dawn Jones. Now he proposes to use grant money to help pay Davids salary. Look at how many folks have been paid out of the grants budget! When is HUD oing to crack down and say NO MORE!
Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:29 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Curious to know what the criteria is for every grant to the City, and whether funding the mayor's appointees' salary is in violation of any of them.
Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:38 am 
monlynn810
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Curious to know what the criteria is for every grant to the City, and whether funding the mayor's appointees' salary is in violation of any of them.

Probably quite a few expressly state that funds aren't to be used for that sort of thing. Part of the reason for the precision required in grant writing is so that the monies won't be used for slush funds. But one or two unclear bits in one or two grants is all that would be needed.
Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:22 pm 
FlintBeerMan
F L I N T O I D

dawn jones has nice legs

Post Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:37 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Word is Steve Montle will be the new Director of the Downtown Development Authority.
Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:50 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: