FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Are the Walling recalls dead?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
morebsfromwalling
F L I N T O I D

We are on track to obtain the required signatures. Anyone who wants to help, please visit RecallWallingNOW.com
Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:17 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Finally get your language approved?

Did Walling actually have the web site RecallWalling.com?
Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:51 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Another recall attempt filed against Flint Mayor Dayne Walling
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal
June 08, 2010, 1:33PM

Mayor Dayne WallingFLINT, Michigan — Mayor Dayne Walling is the target of another recall — at least the third recall attempt against him in recent months.

Resident Samuel Sutton filed the recall language against Walling last week, saying the mayor should be removed from office for laying off public safety personnel, according to the Genesee County elections office.

Sutton said Walling should be recalled for the following reasons:

"By ordering the layoffs of 80 public safety personnel including 48 sworn police officers and 23 firefighters and closing two fire stations, Mayor Walling jeopardized public safety. Since layoffs of firefighters and police were announced by Mayor Walling there were over 198 arsons in the city of Flint. Rather than retaining police and firefighters, Mayor Walling instead retained his appointed and non-mandated staff at excessive salaries. Mayor Walling drastically cut garbage and trash pick-up endangering the public health and welfare."

A clarity hearing on the recall language is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. June 17 at the Genesee County Courthouse in Probate Judge Jennie Barkey's courtroom. The Genesee County Election Commission will determine whether the language is clear enough to be understood by voters.

If the commission approves the language, Sutton would have 180 days to gather enough signatures to place the recall on the ballot.

Sutton is the third person to file a recall attempt against Walling in recent months. He declined to comment on the recall.

Flint school board member David Davenport is currently gathering signatures to put his Walling recall on the ballot. Another recall attempt by Flint resident and former city employee John Carpenter was not approved by the commission.

Walling has said the recalls are a waste of time as the city faces important issues.
Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:38 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

volunteers with recall petitions hit the streets and were very successful in the south side areas they hit.

Danny Parks has been calling people to get more volunteers.
Post Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:14 am 
FlintBeerMan
F L I N T O I D

recall that son of a .. and lets get flint moving forward.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:15 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Sutton may be out and Singelis too. When formulating recall language it needs to follow KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) rules. The new language was nearly a paragraph.

State law says that if the language is clear but such that it can't be answered in 200 words or less, then it must be thrown out. Sutton's language wasn't going to pass, even with Leyton's help.

The rmnants of the group is uniting with Davenport and they are really pushing the envelope. Over 2,000 signatures last weekend and they are going to be out daily.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:54 am 
monlynn810
F L I N T O I D

A much more constructive use of political involvement and fervor would be to put up a ballot measure to get rid of the 'strong mayor' city model Flint is governed by changed.

Because who is gonna replace this guy? And how is this person going to have any more ability or power to fix ingrained local problems than any other recent mayor has?

The City Council, even for the crazy amount of political in-games and favors and gladhanding they do, has recently shown itself to at least be willing to try. People might choose more wisely and better candidates might be fielded for council positions if the citizenry felt they'd have the ability to actually effect change, rather than just hold their fingers in the dam while whoever the current mayor is loots whatever coffers are left.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:52 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Again, the problem I have with a city manager is the fact that there would be no accountability to the citizens. The administrative and legislative branches of government serve as checks and balances on each other. Having the council appoint a manager accountable only to them and serving at their whims would eliminate those checks and balances.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
monlynn810
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Again, the problem I have with a city manager is the fact that there would be no accountability to the citizens. The administrative and legislative branches of government serve as checks and balances on each other. Having the council appoint a manager accountable only to them and serving at their whims would eliminate those checks and balances.

How many Mayoral recalls or removals have there been in Flint now? Seems to me the current system is broken pretty badly, and it doesn't matter who's in the mayor's office.

The council would be accountable to the voters and members would be open to the much-cherished Flint Recall just like the mayor is now. Only recalling a single council member (or even two or three) wouldn't have the same destabilizing influence on the city as ousting a strong mayor.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:22 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

In order to have any effect, you'd have to recall the majority of the council.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:57 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
monlynn810
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
In order to have any effect, you'd have to recall the majority of the council.

As it is now, or in the presumable future if we did switch to a manager? I just think the change in the way things are run needs to be more drastic and lasting than just another recall. Not that I don't think Walling is showing his true, incompetent colors or anything... just sayin', as they say.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:05 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: