FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Land Bank NOT doing what they say
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rgillmi
F L I N T O I D

I am on the Land Bank's Citizens Advisory Board and will be attending our meeting that is coming up very soon and would love to get those addresses and look into why only the middle lot was mowed. I believe they are doing what they say with the Weed and Trash Abatement Program but they are just way behind right now and may be more than a month behind schedule. There is also a transition going right now between work crews as the fiscal years ends and between that and the extreme amount of garbage and tall grass they are quite behind.

I live in the Potter Longway Neighborhood on the end of a block surrounded by vacant houses and was mowing them for a while and missed a week and the grass is knee high now. Our association is setting up a survey of properties in our area that are not being maintained and compiling a list to forward to city officials and the land bank. We have discussed also sending letters to property owners and looking for a local company to give us a deal or volunteer time to get grass mowed at these places. I suggest that other groups that haven't done this yet do the same thing.

I am also on the committee working with the Parks and Rec Dept to develop the plan and contracts for the Adopt a Park program. We finallly had things squared away and a contract that the unions, parks dept, and we (citizens, non-profits, block clubs) agreed on and scheduled an orientation meeting only to have it cancelled at the last minute by the Mayor because he has some issues with the program. The existing city mowing contracts run out on July 1st and it is unclear what kind of progress 3 full time parks employees will make in thousands of acres in 64 parks. Many churches and groups have already stepped in and started mowing the parks that aren't getting done now and plan to sign up officially when the program gets started.

Robert Gill
Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

You can get a permit to take trash to the dump, but it is not free. Last time I bought a permit, I believe it was $15 for a truckload.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:02 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Mr. Gill, drive South on Chevrolet, from Dayton to Hamilton. As you approach Hamilton, you'll see 3 empty lots followed by 2 abandoned houses. The 3rd lot id the one that's been getting mowed, and is the only land bank property. Both the abandoned houses have trash dumped around them. The first one has trash in the back & the 2nd has a pile of trash that I witnessed being dumped in the driveway.
If you prefer, look up my address in the phone book & stop by. I'll gladly show them to you.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
monlynn810
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
The property was not mowed regularly. The mower used handled the tall grass & weeds without any problems.
Bottom line: they are only mowing land bank properties, regardless of what their newsletter says.

1. The properties on Chevrolet are right behind me - I see what they do.
2. On the street our son lives on, only the land bank properties are mowed.
3. A person mowing for the land bank told me they have been told to only mow land bank properties.

Well, that sucks. But frankly, it doesn't surprise me. Flint seems to have been built on good intentions. Hasn't fared us very well in the last 30 years...
Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:59 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Maybe it's deliberate. Letting some properties go wild so the much hyped code enforcement effort can hit owners with fines. Fines that will never be paid.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
You can get a permit to take trash to the dump, but it is not free. Last time I bought a permit, I believe it was $15 for a truckload.
Did you get the permit at city hall, and where is the dump?
Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:33 pm 
UncleSmack
F L I N T O I D

quote:
monlynn810 schreef:

Well, that sucks. But frankly, it doesn't surprise me. Flint seems to have been built on good intentions. Hasn't fared us very well in the last 30 years...

Flint was built on hard work and people pulling their own weight. It's falling apart with good intentions in mind. What troubles me is excuse after excuse...why not just say,
"We have/had every intention of doing what we said we would do. We underestimated "fill in blank" and are doing "fill in blank" to try to remedy the situation. We apologize and will work harder than ever to come through on our word. If you would like to volunteer to help our efforts, please "fill in blank", we would greatly appreciate your support"
It's honest...it's straight forward...it isn't condescending...
Someone said if they had a riding mower he would have no problem doing it...guess they should get with him and loan him a mower...everyone wins...also too simple? *sigh* I'd love to see this guy who said "do it yourself" out there doing it himself!!!
Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:58 pm 
monlynn810
F L I N T O I D

quote:
UncleSmack schreef:
quote:
monlynn810 schreef:

Flint was built on hard work and people pulling their own weight. It's falling apart with good intentions in mind. What troubles me is excuse after excuse...why not just say,
"We have/had every intention of doing what we said we would do. We underestimated "fill in blank" and are doing "fill in blank" to try to remedy the situation. We apologize and will work harder than ever to come through on our word. If you would like to volunteer to help our efforts, please "fill in blank", we would greatly appreciate your support"
It's honest...it's straight forward...it isn't condescending...
Someone said if they had a riding mower he would have no problem doing it...guess they should get with him and loan him a mower...everyone wins...also too simple? *sigh* I'd love to see this guy who said "do it yourself" out there doing it himself!!!

What I guess I really mean is that by not keeping to the values that built the city, it's been falling apart due to good intentions (as well as picked at by the occasional wolf). What I don't understand is why volunteers would be turned away, or why officials don't cut everything they can to keep our public safety and health services going (that would include things like mowing abandoned properties' lawns, and weekly trash pickup). I feel like Peter Pan is running the show -- If you just believe, you can fly!
Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:31 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

A person involved in the mowing program told me they are "encouraged" to mow non land bank properties so the LB can take credit for the mowing, BUT they will not be reimbursed for mowing them.

Post Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:36 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Situations like this make the upcoming election for Treasurer vitally important. The Treasurer also leads the Land bank.

Last year the Treasurers office put a number of properties in the Historic Civic Park area in their annual auction. Wonder if they disclosed all?
Post Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:48 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

"The Land Bank has annual budget of about $3.5 million, about 40 percent of which comes from the delinquent tax funds the county commissioners shut off last week. The funds flow into a land reutilization funds, which was set up by former treasurer Dan Kildee and approved by commissioners in 2003."

Genesee County Land Bank cuts mean more weeds this summer but officials worry about long-term financial health
Published: Monday, July 05, 2010, 11:00 AM
Ron Fonger | Flint Journal

GENESEE COUNTY -- Tall grass and more weeds this summer is one thing. It's the survival of the county Land Bank that's really worrying boosters of the organization that today owns nearly 5,000 vacant and abandoned properties here.

Now that the county Board of Commissioners stopped payments to the Land Bank last week, officials want to be sure those payments, which come from penalties on overdue property taxes, don't also dry up in the fiscal year that starts Oct. 1.

Losing quarterly payments that amount to more than $1 million a year could cripple the same organization that's become a national model for areas flooded with abandoned property.

Doug Weiland
"If the entire land reutilization fund went away, no way could we handle the responsibility" for foreclosed properties," said Douglas K. Weiland, executive director of the Land Bank.

Not only does the Land Bank own thousands of properties already, there are another 2,300 headed its way -- parcels taken in tax foreclosures by the county Treasurer's Office earlier this year.

Commissioners have been in a budget-cutting mood for months, particularly since two bond rating companies downgraded the county's credit worthiness, partly because of budgets that have been balanced for years with rainy day funds that have started to run dry instead of real cost-cutting.

County board Chairman Jamie Curtis said he doesn't plan to push again to intercept payments to the Land Bank, calling it a "one-time deal," but adding, "we have to have good oversight on everything."

Commissioner Ted Henry, D-Clayton Twp., said he won't rule out additional Land Bank cuts.

"I think it's going to be on the table. I think everything is on the table," Henry said.

In the short-term, there is worry about what many streets -- particularly in Flint -- will look like this summer with 17 fewer maintenance workers cutting grass and weeds and cleaning up trash on lots.

The Land Bank said in a news release that the $336,000 cut in its funding this fiscal year "will accelerate the decline in property values and undermine efforts to revitalize out community."

The Rev. Jacob Hawkins, who lives in the Smith Village area of Flint, said fewer workers boarding up buildings and cutting grass and weeds will spell problems in many neighborhoods.

"We're concerned already about tall grass and weeds," Smith said. "They are so tall you can't see out on the thoroughfare. I'm afraid somebody is going to get hurt."

Hawkins said he uses his own mower to cut the grass on abandoned properties already.

"People are wondering, 'What do we do now?' '' he said. "Personally, I cut two lots already but my tractor's about to go out.

"I hate to see it happen."

The Land Bank has annual budget of about $3.5 million, about 40 percent of which comes from the delinquent tax funds the county commissioners shut off last week. The funds flow into a land reutilization funds, which was set up by former treasurer Dan Kildee and approved by commissioners in 2003.

flintlongone July 05, 2010 at 11:31AM
Follow

It's time for the county tax payers to stop paying for the city of Flint. Let the city residents carry their own burden. The out county can not afford to carry themselves plus the city of Flint. No taxation without representation.

Inappropriate? Alert us.Reply Post new

bearking55 July 05, 2010 at 12:18PM
Follow

Lets see, as RON RONGER reported in MLIVE on Nov 11, 2009 the Land Bank got $32 MILLION Dollars to help out with this mess!!

NOW they're crying that they can't cut grass because of a $336,000 cut of the County subsidizing the City,
IS THAT A JOKE RON???????
Seriously, BE A REPORTER and answer this question!

oh yea, that's right, they used 97% it for Administration and BUILDING more because we're short of buildings in Genesee Co, and they HAVE to save the thousands of vacant homes to use to BEG FOR MORE FED TAX DOLLARS (of which, they've gotten more than this $32 million)

ir5 July 06, 2010 at 12:46AM
Follow

You'd think the head of the Genesee County teabagggers would have a more articulate response to this. Instead, they are a garden variety flamer. Stop yelling bearking. You'll catch more members with honey.

justicesearc July 05, 2010 at 1:19PM
Follow

"owns nearly 5,000 vacant and abandoned properties here." - most of the properties (if not all of them) we NOT ABANDONED - they were STOLEN from owners and the Land Bank REFUSES to sell them to buyers that might be "evil speculators". Time that the people of this county (and the country) realize that the more property the government takes as their own the less personal property there is and the less personal freedom and responsibility there is.

babe72 July 05, 2010 at 3:08PM
Follow

the land bank is a farce all it has done is create very high paying jobs for some who couldnt make it else where and keep good hard working people from owning a home

notstupidenough July 05, 2010 at 3:59PM
Follow

The way this written is that we should all open our wallets up and give to the land bank while they tax people out of their property. Give me a break. These guys never tell you what they make because if you knew you would not want to even listen to their sob stories. If this department does not have the funds to function, you do what you would do if you can't afford cable anymore..you elimante it and combine it with another worthless taxpayer funded department. Hey Flint Journal, the freedom of information let's you look and see what these people make a year. Why don't you bring in those numbers as well as the ones you are presenting here? Then we can see the whole picture, not just the politicians numbers, which they can reconfigure to make it look like they have a bonus coming. I am tired of hearing how we need to raise taxes so we can have the services they created. Let them live like the rest of us, not like the King we kicked out in the revolutionary war. You guys are taxing us out of our homes. Is that your mandate? The more properties, the bigger staff you will need? You can kiss my a--!!

shanedr July 05, 2010 at 5:10PM
Follow

The solution is simple S E L L T H E P R O P E R T I E S. Even if they were sold for a dollar it would remove them from the land bank and put them back on the tax roles, not to mention making someone actually improve the properties. Doing so would actually increase tax revenue. We could actually start bringing back police and other services. But N O we have to retain those properties until we can actually make a profit selling them; in the meantime the taxpayers must either pay to maintain those properties, pay to tear them down or worse live with how they destroy the neighborhoods. Not to mention the lost tax revenue.

Mamahooch1 July 05, 2010 at 5:53PM
Follow

Doug Weiland is a UAW 1-C stooge/puppet who used to be chairman Of the Genesee County Democratic Party.

Does that answer everyone's questions on why this Land Bank fiasco is so screwed up?

Go ask Douggy Boy how much taxpayer money is being paid and if he is provided a taxpayer provided car?

This parasitic sucking clown is getting paid BIG BUCKS boys and girls.

sasikat9 July 05, 2010 at 6:48PM
Follow

Gee I thought all the weeds were a sign that the land bank was letting everything go natural. I have a vacant house two doors down from me in the city of Flint.

Those weeds haven't been cut in two years. What have they been doing with all this money if they are responsible for all those weeds.

Flint like Detroit is a c-ess pool

justicesearc July 05, 2010 at 9:18PM
Follow

Sadly, if the land bank really did what their charter says they are supposed to do, there would be an owner to force to mow the weeds, tear down dangerous property and pay taxes. Instead, the weeds grow, the property says dangerous and there are no taxes paid. Why is it that the taxpayers have to follow the rules but the rule makers do not? AND they get paid for it. Something is very wrong with this system.

zuluto July 05, 2010 at 10:02PM
Follow

HEY,
CORRUPTION IS BUSY IN FLINT...IT IS GROWING FASTER THAN THE WEEDS.
Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:40 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Raynetta Speed and Bernard lawler were at the North End mini-station last Tuesday. They claim more grants have been requested to take care of the lots.

THE LAND BANK HAS BACKED AWAY FROM THEIR CLAIMS THEY WOULD CUT EVERYTHING 3 TIMES AND THEY NOW SAY MOST WILL BE CUT ONLY ONCE.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:16 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: