FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Beware of Flint Police in Chargers!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ponycar
F L I N T O I D

My choice for a patrol rifle would be the M-4 with EO tech sights. Those sights allow you to keep both eyes open while moving through a building, down a street, etc. The compact size of the M-4 makes it very easy to transition back to your pistol.

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:08 am 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
NO PROBLEM WITH THEIR EATING DURING THEIR SHIFT. But must they all eat at the same time and same place. This is a big city and lots to patrol.

Why not eat together? I'm sure the majority of people eating in restaurants at lunch time are groups of friends or coworkers. The only reason anyone notices a group of police is because they're in uniform. I don't see the problem here.
Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:26 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
If these weapons have been needed for 12 years, then why are we wasting time training traffic personnel , who don't even help those in the field. Some of the 17 trained should have been trained a long time ago. Who's fault is that?.

How is it a waste of time to train anyone on a needed weapons system? Regardless of their position within the department, any officer can respond to any incident, at any time. Traffic officers are "in the field" as much if not more than patrol officers because they are not typically tied up on shootings/ stabbings/ domestics/ etc. They are able to leave a traffic stop to assist in active incidents much easier than a patrol officer can walk out of a domestic or other call for service. You act as if they would not respond to a critical incident (active shooter situation and others).

If 17 were recently trained on the patrol rifle, over 2/3's of those trained are not in the traffic unit, as the traffic unit has only approx five officers. You are correct in saying they should have been trained a long time ago. The ENTIRE department should be.

I guess I am just not understanding your problem with officers being trained on the rifles.
Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:43 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
BAH836 schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
NO PROBLEM WITH THEIR EATING DURING THEIR SHIFT. But must they all eat at the same time and same place. This is a big city and lots to patrol.

Why not eat together? I'm sure the majority of people eating in restaurants at lunch time are groups of friends or coworkers. The only reason anyone notices a group of police is because they're in uniform. I don't see the problem here.

BAH 836- I have been advised that contractually these officers are not guaranteed a lunch. Ayone who listens to the scanner will hear how many patrol officers are denied a (7) lunch break when they have a lot of calls. People in the area around Luigis find it curious how these guys can break at the same time so frequently and eat at Luigis.
Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:33 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
BAH836 schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
If these weapons have been needed for 12 years, then why are we wasting time training traffic personnel , who don't even help those in the field. Some of the 17 trained should have been trained a long time ago. Who's fault is that?.

How is it a waste of time to train anyone on a needed weapons system? Regardless of their position within the department, any officer can respond to any incident, at any time. Traffic officers are "in the field" as much if not more than patrol officers because they are not typically tied up on shootings/ stabbings/ domestics/ etc. They are able to leave a traffic stop to assist in active incidents much easier than a patrol officer can walk out of a domestic or other call for service. You act as if they would not respond to a critical incident (active shooter situation and others).

If 17 were recently trained on the patrol rifle, over 2/3's of those trained are not in the traffic unit, as the traffic unit has only approx five officers. You are correct in saying they should have been trained a long time ago. The ENTIRE department should be.

I guess I am just not understanding your problem with officers being trained on the rifles.

I have observed many accidents in the city and seldom do I see a "glory boy" at the scene. If these guys are so accessible then why did the city have so much trouble finding an officer for the recent double homicide and had to call in State and County to help? i am told these traffic cops are among the most disliked by their fellow officers, hence the nickname. The may only be 5, but I would rather see officers that are working the streets trained before traffic cops that get to choose their calls to respond to.
Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:48 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
BAH 836- I have been advised that contractually these officers are not guaranteed a lunch. Ayone who listens to the scanner will hear how many patrol officers are denied a (7) lunch break when they have a lot of calls. People in the area around Luigis find it curious how these guys can break at the same time so frequently and eat at Luigis.

Easy answer. Traffic unit has a different focus than patrol officers. They are not call/ dispatch driven, therefore they can eat at whatever time they want. Typically detectives and supervisors are no different. Also, don't be fooled into thinking when dispatch denies a code 7, officers do not eat lunch.
Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:17 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

I have observed many accidents in the city and seldom do I see a "glory boy" at the scene. If these guys are so accessible then why did the city have so much trouble finding an officer for the recent double homicide and had to call in State and County to help? i am told these traffic cops are among the most disliked by their fellow officers, hence the nickname. The may only be 5, but I would rather see officers that are working the streets trained before traffic cops that get to choose their calls to respond to.

Currently selective enforcement officers are, at times dispatched to crashes, however this is also not their focus. Traditionally, crashes were handled by Traffic Investigations Officers, but this unit was disbanded by Williamson. At that time crashes became the responsibility of patrol and Selective Enforcement continued to be proactive making traffic stops.

As far as accessibility, I believe the homicide you're referring to happened during the night. Selective enforcement typically does not work night shift. This is like asking why didn't a first shifter respond.

In my years working for the FPD, I never one time heard selective enforcement referred to as "glory boys," and I never experienced or observed any disdain toward any officer in the unit. This may have changed now that the department is severely understaffed.

As far as working the streets...they do work the streets. Research how many times officers nationwide are engaged in gun battles which start as a result of a traffic stop. When done with that, explain to me how training ANY officer, regardless of their street level focus, is a bad idea.
Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:48 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

One of the riskiest things an officer does is approach a vehicle with unknown perps inside. That and domestic violence calls can turn bad at any moment. Im having a hard time figuering out the apparent distain for the cops on this forum?

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:46 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

We have 5 officers doing traffic enforcement while the few patrol officers we have can't keep up with calls? Are these 5 grant funded? If so, where are the grants for patrol?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

They are not grant funded
Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:39 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
BAH836 schreef:
["]

Currently selective enforcement officers are, at times dispatched to crashes, however this is also not their focus. Traditionally, crashes were handled by Traffic Investigations Officers, but this unit was disbanded by Williamson. At that time crashes became the responsibility of patrol and Selective Enforcement continued to be proactive making traffic stops.

As far as accessibility, I believe the homicide you're referring to happened during the night. Selective enforcement typically does not work night shift. This is like asking why didn't a first shifter respond.

In my years working for the FPD, I never one time heard selective enforcement referred to as "glory boys," and I never experienced or observed any disdain toward any officer in the unit. This may have changed now that the department is severely understaffed.

As far as working the streets...they do work the streets. Research how many times officers nationwide are engaged in gun battles which start as a result of a traffic stop. When done with that, explain to me how training ANY officer, regardless of their street level focus, is a bad idea.

Let me get this straight:
They never work nights
They get more weekends off than patrol
They don't have to answer 911 calls
They can plan friendly lunches together

I can understand why some officers show disdain and I have only heard them called the "glory boys". They would ppear to have the best of the police world.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:37 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
One of the riskiest things an officer does is approach a vehicle with unknown perps inside. That and domestic violence calls can turn bad at any moment. Im having a hard time figuering out the apparent distain for the cops on this forum?

Sorry Twotap, typically you and I are in agreement but I will tell you why I had serious issues with the Flint PD. When I lived there I had cops threaten me , had cops engage in name calling when we called them for serious problems. I saw cops take dope off teenagers and sit in a squad car and roll the stuff up and smoke IN THE SQUAD CAR. I knew cops whose family members were the neighborhood hoods and yet, SURPRIZE, the punks never got arrested for the crimes they did in the open and everyone saw them commit these crimes. I knew cops who were SELLING drugs and when their activties were reported none of the complaints had any follow up to see if the complaints were valid. Shall I continue? I will anyway, I know BAH will say I am full of shit but he can go F himself.
I have seen cops cause accidents because they were drunk, WHILE ON DUTY! Everyone who the man got physically close to the man could smell the beer on him, he reeked. My friends dad had a Flint cop, while on duty and driving a patrol car , broadside him. This cop tried to insist that it was my friend's dad's fault, but luckily there were no less than 6 wittnesses who stepped forward and told what they had seen. Want some more reasons why people are 'disdainful" of the Flint PD? I will have other people join this conversation and they will add to the list.
So BAH,,want to tell me how it "really was" in all these incidents? Going to call me a liar like you typically do ? Come on, prove me wrong . And if I have this many incidents I can name off I will bet big bucks that the Flint PD has a whole lot more F ups than anyone would care to count. And yes BAH, I still hold the Flint PD in contempt for the Fletcher incident. I never saw this mythic "professionalism" you claim that exists . To me it it like the Loch Ness Monster, I heard about it but never seen much evidence for it.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:57 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
quote:
BAH836 schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

Don't waste your time with BAH . He will insist that you didn't see what you what saw there at Luigis. All citizens are liars for BAH, the cops are perfect and BAH"s attitude seems to be that unless he and he alone tells you what you saw, you don't have the right to offer an account of anything you may have THOUGHT you saw. It takes a trained police officer to inform you what is going on, and don't you dare argue with the men in blue, you have no idea of what you are talking about.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:03 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hey pissed your right we usually do agree and it sounds like you do have some issues with the cops. When I lived in flint we had a flint cop as a neighbor, he was the biggest asshole you would never want to meet and as disrespectful to his neighbors as could be. When he and his old lady moved they were not missed. By the way I heard later that she kicked him out and he eventually was kicked off the force. But I cant judge them all by this guy and I have made friends with lots of LEOs especially where I live now.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:42 am 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Hey pissed your right we usually do agree and it sounds like you do have some issues with the cops. When I lived in flint we had a flint cop as a neighbor, he was the biggest asshole you would never want to meet and as disrespectful to his neighbors as could be. When he and his old lady moved they were not missed. By the way I heard later that she kicked him out and he eventually was kicked off the force. But I cant judge them all by this guy and I have made friends with lots of LEOs especially where I live now.

Ok Twotap, if you had that butthead as a neighbor, and I had the run ins and experiences I had with the members of the Flint PD I can say it is a fair guess most Flint cops are assholes. Afterall how many cops are in Flint ( or were , before the layoffs) ? I have heard too many stories from what I had seen as decent people about being mistreated by members of the Flint PD to be dismissive and write all that off as simply cops having the proverbial "bad day'. I suppose BAH will drop in and tell us all we all just have to grin and bear whatever the cops dished out , or more than likely, tell us none of what we experienced ever happened. Come on BAH,we being unlike your brothers in the FPD, we will allow you time to try to explain all these sort of incidents. But I warn you whatever you have to say will be viewed with a set of very jaundiced eyes on my part.
Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:25 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: