FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: How did race get interjected in the new IRS building?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

There's a pro wrestling event at Doyle-Rider Friday night at 7 . Money to go towards playground equipment. I wonder if Eric & Greg would be interested in a match for a good cause?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue May 04, 2010 8:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
DELETED

DELETED
Post Wed May 05, 2010 10:02 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

People watching the video were amazed and thought Greg and Eric were going to come to blows.

Freeman has commented they may pull the plug on the council meetings.
Post Wed May 05, 2010 10:57 pm 
History1999
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
At the Monday, April 26, 20010, Council meeting a public hearing was on the agenda to amend the Brownfield Plan for the new IRS building being constructed on 901 to 915 N. Saginaw. The amendment was necessary because of a change in developper after the original developer was unable to secure the necessary bank funding. Also, one parcel was owned by the Land bank and was part of the their Brownfield plan. it was removed from the Flint Brownfield plan. Phase 2 tests revealed no contamination, so the brownfield is based on blight.

The first speaker on the brownfield was Nick Singelis. He addressed the issue of the contractor hired to build the new IRS building. Singelis addressed allegations the contractor was not labor friendly and had bypassed the prevailing wage. he noted the city could contact a number of labor organization leaders. federal contracts normally require prevailing wage. He stated he desired the city ensure more local subcontractors be included in the construction.

(Note- the contractor of the new Social Security office in Ward 1 used a number of local subcontractors.)

Suddenly Greg Eason jumped up and angrily denounced Singelis and his comments. He said he was pleased there was new development going on in the North end and there was no "hockey pockey whent the development was south of the river". This project would "help the north end change it's complexion" and the "north end deserves development". He accused Singelis of dehumanizing "people of color".

The next speaker was Eric Mays and that is when things got really heated.
Pointing at the 3 white representatives of the project, Mays said "these are white folks and eason raised the race issue-opened a can of worms". "When it comes to race it's who's at the top." He pointed at Eason and told him, "Eason, you went to the white folks and you benefit".

It appeared that Eason got up and moved towards Mays. Mays turned and struck a fighting stance and Eason was frozen in place. Was Eason going to attack Mays? Looked like it, but you can never tell.

Mays must have thought so to as he angrily stated he had the right to fight back. He spoke about what Eason does in private coming out in public. Possible reference to city Hall stories about allegations of anger management issues.

Mays reminded Eason that Mays father, Pastor of Shiloh Baptist until his death, had been instrumental in the construction of Shiloh Commons, a townhouse development in the north end.

Race continued to dominate the public hearing.

First of all, Singelis did not "address" any issues, he raised them. His main argument was that local union officials weren't going to make any money off of the project. Then he raised the issue of how he found some people "who can't speak english", that were working on these projects, and how distasteful he thought that was.

Easom then took the floor, taking exeception to Singelis' comments, assuming that the people referred to as "people who can't speak english" were people of color.

When Mays took the floor, he talked for 45 minutes, just to hear the sound of his voice. Irony is, he complained that council didn't time to thoroughly review the issues...

BTW, IMHO, Easom had every right to stand and object to what Mays was saying about him.
Post Tue May 25, 2010 9:23 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
People watching the video were amazed and thought Greg and Eric were going to come to blows.

This must be the reason council meetings have not been appearing on Sundays on Comcast Cable channel 17. Who is responsible for seeing that these get aired, or announce that they will no longer be aired? I'd really like to know because that's the ONLY reason I still have Comcast and it's time to renew again or switch. I just received notice they're upping the rates again and eliminating more channels unless I get their box.
Post Tue May 25, 2010 9:56 pm 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

Can anyone say Nick is a crook?

quote:
History1999 schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
At the Monday, April 26, 20010, Council meeting a public hearing was on the agenda to amend the Brownfield Plan for the new IRS building being constructed on 901 to 915 N. Saginaw. The amendment was necessary because of a change in developper after the original developer was unable to secure the necessary bank funding. Also, one parcel was owned by the Land bank and was part of the their Brownfield plan. it was removed from the Flint Brownfield plan. Phase 2 tests revealed no contamination, so the brownfield is based on blight.

The first speaker on the brownfield was Nick Singelis. He addressed the issue of the contractor hired to build the new IRS building. Singelis addressed allegations the contractor was not labor friendly and had bypassed the prevailing wage. he noted the city could contact a number of labor organization leaders. federal contracts normally require prevailing wage. He stated he desired the city ensure more local subcontractors be included in the construction.

(Note- the contractor of the new Social Security office in Ward 1 used a number of local subcontractors.)

Suddenly Greg Eason jumped up and angrily denounced Singelis and his comments. He said he was pleased there was new development going on in the North end and there was no "hockey pockey whent the development was south of the river". This project would "help the north end change it's complexion" and the "north end deserves development". He accused Singelis of dehumanizing "people of color".

The next speaker was Eric Mays and that is when things got really heated.
Pointing at the 3 white representatives of the project, Mays said "these are white folks and eason raised the race issue-opened a can of worms". "When it comes to race it's who's at the top." He pointed at Eason and told him, "Eason, you went to the white folks and you benefit".

It appeared that Eason got up and moved towards Mays. Mays turned and struck a fighting stance and Eason was frozen in place. Was Eason going to attack Mays? Looked like it, but you can never tell.

Mays must have thought so to as he angrily stated he had the right to fight back. He spoke about what Eason does in private coming out in public. Possible reference to city Hall stories about allegations of anger management issues.

Mays reminded Eason that Mays father, Pastor of Shiloh Baptist until his death, had been instrumental in the construction of Shiloh Commons, a townhouse development in the north end.

Race continued to dominate the public hearing.

First of all, Singelis did not "address" any issues, he raised them. His main argument was that local union officials weren't going to make any money off of the project. Then he raised the issue of how he found some people "who can't speak english", that were working on these projects, and how distasteful he thought that was.

Easom then took the floor, taking exeception to Singelis' comments, assuming that the people referred to as "people who can't speak english" were people of color.

When Mays took the floor, he talked for 45 minutes, just to hear the sound of his voice. Irony is, he complained that council didn't time to thoroughly review the issues...

BTW, IMHO, Easom had every right to stand and object to what Mays was saying about him.
Post Wed May 26, 2010 3:35 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

This must be the reason council meetings have not been appearing on Sundays on Comcast Cable channel 17. Who is responsible for seeing that these get aired, or announce that they will no longer be aired? I'd really like to know because that's the ONLY reason I still have Comcast and it's time to renew again or switch. I just received notice they're upping the rates again and eliminating more channels unless I get their box.

This show did air and many saw it. I disagree with history. Greg has no right to jump up and confront every speaker. I disagree with nick's position, but he had the right to express it. You have to remember Nick was running for County Commissioner at the time and wanted union support. he took a pro-union position. You can question his motives but I would be careful of accusing the union officials whose names he threw out of wanting money for these projects.
Nick's comments about not speaking English was in the context of his attempts, no matter how lame, to ask each person at the work site if they were county residents.

Even Eason has to follow council rules and in this instance he did not. Many have had to sit in council and listen to negative statements regarding their actions. Why should Eason get a pass.

Yes, some council, like Freeman, have expressed reservations about continuing the cost of meetings.
Post Wed May 26, 2010 10:53 pm 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

Come on untanglingwebs, Eason is crazy! He is only City Administrator because of the agreement to support Walling and that his wife use to work for the MOTT FOUNDATION
Post Thu May 27, 2010 10:19 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Actually Derrick, karen Aldridge-Eason still works for the Mott Foundation nd is on loan to Granholm.

HISTORY was trying to clean up Eason and there really is no way. It appears Eason was on a downward spiral when he ran for Mayor. He is shown on Advanced Solutions documents as applying to be her CEO on the DOE grant she eventually received from the city. Eason was simply a DBA and a consultant and no longer a corporate leader.
Post Fri May 28, 2010 7:11 am 
History1999
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

This show did air and many saw it. I disagree with history. Greg has no right to jump up and confront every speaker. I disagree with nick's position, but he had the right to express it. You have to remember Nick was running for County Commissioner at the time and wanted union support. he took a pro-union position. You can question his motives but I would be careful of accusing the union officials whose names he threw out of wanting money for these projects.
Nick's comments about not speaking English was in the context of his attempts, no matter how lame, to ask each person at the work site if they were county residents.

Even Eason has to follow council rules and in this instance he did not. Many have had to sit in council and listen to negative statements regarding their actions. Why should Eason get a pass.

Yes, some council, like Freeman, have expressed reservations about continuing the cost of meetings.

So it's ok to asume anyone who doesn't speak english is not a county resident?

So it's ok to address the council - not on the issue at hand, but on your political campaign?

So it's ok to address the council and verbally assault the person who has just spoken?

I disagree
Post Fri May 28, 2010 6:24 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Singelis never said he assumed hey were not county residents-he was unable to communicate with them. They were on an M-DOT program so they at least must have had their green cards.

Council should not allow Rev. Beatty, Larry Hutchinson or anyone to discuss a political campaign. They have done so for at least 3 years. Council has control of that issue.

Greg was the one who stood up and denounced other speakers. He also never misses a shot to jump up and criticize the unions. Greg was the one spewing venom and he was the only angry one. Greg seems to "zone out" during many hearings and I assume it is some kind of anger management tool.

Yes the comments Singelis made were self serving. But he did not put them into a polltical context.
Post Sat May 29, 2010 6:44 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Council should not allow Rev. Beatty, Larry Hutchinson or anyone to discuss a political campaign. They have done so for at least 3 years. Council has control of that issue.
Shouldn't that include lengthy church sermons, or rambling on about many different topics having nothing to do with city council?
Post Sat May 29, 2010 12:36 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Shouldn't that include lengthy church sermons, or rambling on about many different topics having nothing to do with city council?

AMEN TO THAT TOO
Post Sat May 29, 2010 6:16 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: