FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Public Safety Summit saturday April 24
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

CITYWIDE NEIGHBORHOOD ACTION AND PUBLIC SAFETY SUMMIT
SATURDAY, APRIL 24TH
MOTT COMMUNITY COLLEGE- BALLENGER FIELD HOUSE
8:30A.M. TO NOON
8:30 AM IS CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST AND REGISTRATION
SUMMIT STARTS AT 9:00 A.M.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:16 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

What are they going to teach people that attend this summit? The city is broke, cops are gone, fires are being set. you can't trust your neighbors, crack heads are probably 60% of the population. So keeping your porch lights on, calling cops if you see anything suspicious and joining a neighborhood watch are pretty much pointless . If you live in the College Cultrual area and Downtown area you are covered, if not, you pretty much on your own. Watch your back and walk around like you are hunting for bear, with a twist. The bears in this case are two legged and also possibly hunting for you. And with all the houses burning down much of the crime will drop. No place for the evil doers to live anymore and if your house survives the area around your house will be open and clear. Your killing field will be wide , make good use of it. Load and load friends, lock and load.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:18 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Last week on our block- - - -
Disturbance call - large group arguing, punches thrown; sorry, 26 calls ahead of yours.
Same day, different address - disturbance call, man with a gun; one car arrived 30 minutes after man with gun left. Officer couldn't get details - name of perp, description, direction of travel, etc., due to getting sent to a shooting call immediately after arriving. Two officers did come 2 hours later to get the details. I should mention that when I called 911 with details about the car with the gun toter, they gave the officer the wrong direction of travel.

Just another day in the hood.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Public Safety Summit. Translation=Campaign rah, rah session for Walling.

I was there. This is not a guess, but an observation.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:22 pm 
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

Hey Rick Hetherington, I was also there, I thought it was productive and informative.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Good for you Pachuco. A bunch of cronies reading from pre-made cue cards about all the "great" things the administration has done is not informative. There was a mic in the middle of the floor. Where was the question and answer session?

Write your questions down and we'll collect them. That way we can weed out the hard questions and answer easy ones that won't expose our deficiencies.

Yeah, great session. Very productive if you were looking for damage control for a failing administration.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:10 pm 
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

Look, I am just speaking from my personal experience. It was informational and I got to ask questions and have them answered, in addition to seeing the action plan for my ward and group(youth). I'm glad you made the effort to attend though, I mean it showed you atleast cared.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:58 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Sometimes I wonder why I keep caring. Nobody in this administration seems to listen anyway. You can make suggestions and give ideas and nothing changes. Walling is running things the way he wants based on theory and hyperbole. There is no input from people with the working knowledge to implement change and improvement. Until he gets his head out of the clouds and gets a grasp on reality this City is destined to continue to falter.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:43 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Bossman- You are absolutely right!

It started late and when Dawn Jones started speaking she was like the head cheerleader at a pep rally. Did you notice how hard she tried to be upbeat? That phont rhetoric had to be hard to maintain.

After Dawn's 20 minutes of BS, we had to endure a 40 to 45 minute campaign speech read by Dayne Walling (remember he doesn;t need teleprompters). I kept expecting to hear a choir singing behind him "How great thou art".

The informative crap Pachuco heard is mostly on the cities web site. But then he is another of the mayor's cheerleaders.

Things were so bad the Police Chief showed an organizational chart of the Public safety services and then said it had been changed but he wanted people to know he had one. Most of the questions fom the audience were about public safety, but they put all but 2 in abeyance until the end. Most didn't wait until the end and left earlier.

They advertised free parking but did not tell you it was in the parking ramp quite a distance away.

Keep on telling the truth Bossman!

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:12 pm 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Bossman schreef:

DITTO.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:21 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Good thing I didn't waste my time attending.

Rearranged some plumbing in the basement, baked a loaf of French bread, helped a neighbor with some outdoor lighting, worked some on a project to put house numbers near the curb at the houses on our block, did some research on the city web site looking up owners of a couple dilapidated houses in a friend's neighborhood.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

You know what Sally Haywood , I am about tired of your bs . You call me a Mayor's cheerleader, I'm a Flint cheerleader, whether it's on this site, or in a different, county, state, or country for that matter.

Do you think that I like the fact that animals rip my garbage overnight because it came late and I had to pick it up? Do you think that I like the fact that when I leave this fall for college, I am leaving my mom and five younger siblings in a city that has been notoriously dangerous for decades? NO!

But, you know what? It doesn't matter what Mayor or City Council, I am here, even as an 18 year-old young man to support them. I may not agree witht them or the decisions they make, hell I'm against the garbage plan! But he is our Mayor, the majority of the city elected him to a job, one that's one of the hardest in the state. He is the chief executive officer of one of the most dangerous cities in America, one with the highest unemployment rates, and with one of the fastest declining revunues. Did this all just happen with his election to office? No! It's been like this for a while... And it didn't help with your old boss Sally, Don Williamson , costing this city millions through lawsuits and wreckless spending. I hated him as mayor, but you know what?

Instead of complaining about him, even as ayoung 14,15,16 year old, I still went out and made a difference with him as Mayor. I even worked in his office in the summmer under Michael Vance and Robert Cook cleaning lots and parks. Our leaders... They need our help to make this city better and complaining about isn't helping. Maybe when it's election then you can vote the Mayor out of office, but he needs our support now.

But what I do, is I don't complain about this or that, I take action and do my part on my own and also with the leaders of this city to try to make it a better place. I'm a handsome, young man, I don't have to get up early in the morning to go to summit, or go help at a neighborhood clean-up, or maybe canvass for the census bureau-- I could sleep in until 1 p.m. So don't tell me this Mayor doens't care about this community or that I am just one of his cheerleaders.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:59 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If he TRULY cared, why does he keep hiring unqualified people at high salaries while cutting police & fire to the point he's endangering public safety?

You help with cleanups? Our block could use all the grass along the curbs edged, everything along the curbs swept, and a new coat of white paint put on the curbs. Interested? We have a gas powered edger & I'll buy the gas, supply the broom & paper bags for sweeping up, the paint & brushes. I'll also buy you lunch, and dinner if necessary, & keep you supplied with the cold drinks of your choice.
Interested?
I'd do it myself, but I'm old, as you have said, and can't afford the amount of Geritol it would take to get it done.

Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:14 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Webs, the student parking ramp (H), off Horrigan Drive, is actually next to Ballenger Field House.

Map: http://www.mcc.edu/maps/pdf_maps/parking_guide.pdf
Notes:
Chief Alvern Lock: Public Safety Director, Police, Fire & 911.
Fire - 3 Stations
SAFER - 39 for May.
Police - Patrol, Community Policing, Special Ops, School Liaison, Traffic & Detective
May 16 - Police reverting to 8 hour shifts.
Mini-Stations (6), Wards 1,4, 6, 7, 8, 9; Adding Wards 2 & 5, Haskell & Hurley .
Foot Patrol: 1st shift 9A-5P; 2nd shift 7P-3A.
Tip Line and Non-Emergencies: 237-6812
THANK OUR OFFICERS AND FIREFIGHTERS!
Some of the Q&A today:

Q. What is being done about the liquor store problem and adjacent park?
A. Chief Lock responded: "We are law enforcement agency. We have to enforce rules. The liquor store has rights also." Does have someone looking into liquor license. Special Ops looking at park activity. Put people in the park.

Q. Why acceptable to ignore 911 calls in North End?
A. Chief Lock responded the issue with 911 is in answering calls. Not ignoring, but getting backed up on calls.

Q. What is being done about shootings in the 5th ward, 300 and 400 block of Odette and 500 and 600 block of Grace(?)?
A. Chief Lock responded: People shot--being investigated. Shooting--they disappear when they see police coming. About anonymity when calling 911 about these incidents--they're working at making it better.

Mayor Walling: City of Flint BLUE BADGE PATROL VOLUNTEER CORPS - creating today to support mini-stations, provide training for volunteers and block clubs. Chief: This group provides the police support. Expanding ministation hours 9AM-9PM, maybe even Saturday and Sunday. (Need more volunteers.)

Q. About TRASH and COMPOST?
A. Mayor Walling responded: A few seasonal workers will be on the job next week. They will continue to monitor week by week.

Q. About using jail inmates.
A. Mayor Walling: Sheriff already uses work detail. Walling doesn't like how they work. Went to Genesee County Land Bank.

Q. Tax Increase?
A. Mayor Walling: Hasn't made up his own mind whether they've done enough. If council has majority to put millage on ballot he won't stand in way. We use every dollar we have as effectively as possible.

Q. Who is responsible for action items?
A. Mayor Walling: Working through an implementation, determining what volunteers can do....etc.

Q. About bringing back firefighters.
A. Chief Lock: There's a process of bringing back firefighters that they have to follow. Have to work with HR Department.

Q. ?
A. Chief Lock: We have tech grant to get new computer equipment and dispatch closest...

Q. Complaint about noise and vibration of windows, loud noise and gunshots.
A. Chief Lock: Keep calling, need neighbors to call.

Q. About Mini-Station Volunteers
A. Chief Lock: Community Policing will continue - 2 officers.... Also, COPs program, 4 on 1st shift, 4 on 2nd shift, help Ward Officer(s).
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:45 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Crowfeeder schreef:
quote:
Bossman schreef:

DITTO.

Pachuco- You really are too sensitive! You criticize and complain about others, but you are quick to take offense. So you're walling's cheerleader? It was you who stated you idolized Walling. You are really angry because others did not see this event as informative as you did. perhaps it's because we have more experience and have studied city government.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:59 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: