FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: More legal wrangling on trash collection?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Just watched the Council meeting on Comcast and was dismayed by the degree of dishonesty within the Walling Administration, particularly in regards to the deficit, Kincaid addressed the most recent 'budget-to-actual" report and predicted the actual deficit to be $10 million or more by the end of the fiscal year. He has been very accurate in regards to budget projections since the Stanley administration, and most likely is correct now.
Kincaid mentioned about a month ago that Brown left a balanced budget in August and he was dismayed how the deficit had occurred and grown.

Eason has admitted that the administration had not made budget amendments although they had hired unbudgeted personnel and had projected deficits in numerous departments. Ignorance of the financial situation of he City of Flint does not make the administration look very competant. They campaigned on their competancy to run the city.

Is this a mechanism to outsource our trash collection? Sam Muma, President of AFSCME 1600, spoke to council. He, Interim Mayor Mike Brown, and Council negotiated labor cuts in the sanitation department during the budget process last year. During the Brown and Walling administrations in November and December 2009, 3 more positions were eliminated making a total of 10 cuts in personnel, from 35 to 25 trash collectors. Muma wanted to know how a budget balanced in December could be so out of balance in February.

A contract was signed in December, Under Walling, that guaranteed 25 trash collectors. Walling has not only broken that agreement, he refused to work with the union.

Expect more arbitration and legal fees!

Bade later commented that the city was examining the option of outsourcing. This option came up in the past and were linked to kickbacks and organized crime.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:46 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

We can only hope that garbage services will be privatized. Waste Management will do a ten times better job than the current setup, simply because efficiency, and a happy clientèle are key. The city would be wise to outsource this and as many departments as are possible. The private sector almost always does better work than governmental administrations. Never send a lawyer to do an economist's job.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:49 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

OT observation: This week two City of Flint garbage trucks were westbound on Court Street at Pershing/Corunna traffic light; one proceeded through light onto Corunna Road and turned left on Zimmerman; the other turned left at the light onto Pershing where left turn is prohibited.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:06 pm 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Kincaid mentioned about a month ago that Brown left a balanced budget in August and he was dismayed how the deficit had occurred and grown.

Eason has admitted that the administration had not made budget amendments although they had hired unbudgeted personnel and had projected deficits in numerous departments. Ignorance of the financial situation of he City of Flint does not make the administration look very competant. They campaigned on their competancy to run the city.

Eason has admitted that the administration had not made budget amendments (This shows that they have no Idea what they are doing!) although they had hired unbudgeted personnel (in violation of the Charter, which Walling swore to uphold.) and had projected deficits in numerous departments. Ignorance of the financial situation of he City of Flint does not make the administration look very competant.

In the Flint Charter, it state:

Sec. 1-603 FORFEITURE OF OFFICE AND REMOVAL FOR CAUSE.
A. The City Council shall declare the forfeiture of the office of any elective officer or appointee and may remove for cause any person appointed to an office for a fixed term. In every case there shall be a public hearing before the City Council with notice published in the same manner as notices of proposed ordinances. A Council member charged with conduct constituting grounds for forfeiture may not participate in the resolution of the charge.

B. The position of an elective City officer or an appointee shall be forfeited if he or she:

1. Lacks at any time any qualifications required by law or this Charter; or

2. Violates any provisions of this Charter punishable by forfeiture; or

3. Is convicted of a felony while holding the office or appointment.

C. Decisions made by the City Council under this section are not reviewable by the Mayor but are subject to judicial review in a hearing de novo. Any resident of the City may petition an appropriate court to require the City Council to hold a public hearing on the forfeiture of an office if the City Council has reasonably refused to proceed.

Starting with a balanced budget, putting the city approximately 10 Million in the red, making NO budget ammendments, while hiring unbudgeted, illegal hires! Does it sound like they are qualified? We as citizens have the right to demand council deal with this inept administration. And if they blow us off, we have the right to petition the courts to force them to deal with it. This is where I wish I had more law classes. Council has the power to remove every illegal hire and yet they do nothing except complain about them. This section of the charter seems to give the impression that they could remove Eason and maybe Walling for not being qualified based on thier performance, but they are as impotent as the last council.

Thomas Jefferson
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:34 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
munnbreslin schreef:
We can only hope that garbage services will be privatized. Waste Management will do a ten times better job than the current setup, simply because efficiency, and a happy clientèle are key. The city would be wise to outsource this and as many departments as are possible. The private sector almost always does better work than governmental administrations. Never send a lawyer to do an economist's job.

The trash industry has had major links to organized crime for like forever. During previous administrations attempts to privatize waste collection were accompanied by allegations of kickbacks.

The real problem is no one in the administration was paying attention to the budget to actuals given monthly by the finance department and walling was not giving them to Council. Rumors of a $1 million per month deficit were not truly revealed until council held the mid year budget review in december.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:17 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

yet WM has operated in suburban communities and these scandals have not existed. Flint needs to privatize trash services and a plethora of other services to save money. Lets have the city government doing bare bones work, police, fire, building inspection and codes, and not much more. Let the private sector do what they do best, work cheaply and efficient.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:43 pm 
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Your shocked? This mayor and staff lie to people everyday!

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Just watched the Council meeting on Comcast and was dismayed by the degree of dishonesty within the Walling Administration, particularly in regards to the deficit, Kincaid addressed the most recent 'budget-to-actual" report and predicted the actual deficit to be $10 million or more by the end of the fiscal year. He has been very accurate in regards to budget projections since the Stanley administration, and most likely is correct now.

Is this a mechanism to outsource our trash collection? Sam Muma, President of AFSCME 1600, spoke to council. He, Interim Mayor Mike Brown, and Council negotiated labor cuts in the sanitation department during the budget process last year. During the Brown and Walling administrations in November and December 2009, 3 more positions were eliminated making a total of 10 cuts in personnel, from 35 to 25 trash collectors. Muma wanted to know how a budget balanced in December could be so out of balance in February.

A contract was signed in December, Under Walling, that guaranteed 25 trash collectors. Walling has not only broken that agreement, he refused to work with the union.

Expect more arbitration and legal fees!

Bade later commented that the city was examining the option of outsourcing. This option came up in the past and were linked to kickbacks and organized crime.
Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

So fire a complaint already!

quote:
ConcernedCitizen schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

Eason has admitted that the administration had not made budget amendments (This shows that they have no Idea what they are doing!) although they had hired unbudgeted personnel (in violation of the Charter, which Walling swore to uphold.) and had projected deficits in numerous departments. Ignorance of the financial situation of he City of Flint does not make the administration look very competant.

In the Flint Charter, it state:

Sec. 1-603 FORFEITURE OF OFFICE AND REMOVAL FOR CAUSE.
A. The City Council shall declare the forfeiture of the office of any elective officer or appointee and may remove for cause any person appointed to an office for a fixed term. In every case there shall be a public hearing before the City Council with notice published in the same manner as notices of proposed ordinances. A Council member charged with conduct constituting grounds for forfeiture may not participate in the resolution of the charge.

B. The position of an elective City officer or an appointee shall be forfeited if he or she:

1. Lacks at any time any qualifications required by law or this Charter; or

2. Violates any provisions of this Charter punishable by forfeiture; or

3. Is convicted of a felony while holding the office or appointment.

C. Decisions made by the City Council under this section are not reviewable by the Mayor but are subject to judicial review in a hearing de novo. Any resident of the City may petition an appropriate court to require the City Council to hold a public hearing on the forfeiture of an office if the City Council has reasonably refused to proceed.

Starting with a balanced budget, putting the city approximately 10 Million in the red, making NO budget ammendments, while hiring unbudgeted, illegal hires! Does it sound like they are qualified? We as citizens have the right to demand council deal with this inept administration. And if they blow us off, we have the right to petition the courts to force them to deal with it. This is where I wish I had more law classes. Council has the power to remove every illegal hire and yet they do nothing except complain about them. This section of the charter seems to give the impression that they could remove Eason and maybe Walling for not being qualified based on thier performance, but they are as impotent as the last council.
Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:22 am 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

Don't we pay taxes for trash? If so can he cut that?
Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:22 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Three mils of property tax are levied on all home owners for trash collection. I would think that the millage money could not be used for any other purpose, but I'm sure the geniuses at city hall don't worry about minor details like that.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:15 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

The 3 mills for trash collection today doesn't bring in the same amount of revenue that 3 mills for trash collection did even last year. Anything tied to property values obviously are going to continue to decline in Flint.

Doug Weiland often quotes the fact that in 2006 the average house in the City of Flint was selling for around $55,000.00. Last year the average house in the City went for around $15,000.00.

The problem is not that money is being diverted from trash collection to some other use. The problem is that there isn't enough (or even the same amount) money coming in. It continues to decline dramatically. Meanwhile, expenses continue to rise.
Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Problem is if the assessment of the house is higher than the $15 k the person is still paying taxes on the higher value. It takes years for assessment to catch up and few people know how to properly appeal their taxes.

Expect more poverty appeals.

Until we downsize some areas, this problem will continue. There is less than 10% of the historic Civic Park area occupied, Basically only one or two short blocks are occupied. Homes are being burnt down and many have been demoed because of fires. Go through the process with the state and eliminate this area. No more snow plowing, trash pickups for a few homes, etc.
Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:22 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: