FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: ACORN name cchanges after video scandal
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Domet schreef:
Concerned Citizen, Webs - I don't know if you folks heard, but it came out that those videos were "heavily doctored" and ACORN was cleared of those charges. This is why I have and continue urge you folks hold your decisions until the evidence is really out - ACORN has been cleared time and time again for crimes and accustions. This situation isn't any different...

Also, just because it needs to be said - your assumption about lakewoman's morals based on her belief in ACORN is not really fair, nor logically framed. Though I am loathe to appear on her side, I have to say that the argument you framed (though funny, certainly) is neither fair nor accurate. ACORN is a national institution, regional institutions and local groups - they can operate quite independently and do not necessarily reflect on one another. It is as if your brother was a criminal who killed 20 people and everybody thinks you'll do it too, just because you have the same last name. Not necessarily fair to categorically call all of ACORN evil or lacking morals and equally unfair to suggest Lakewoman or anybody supporting the organization is morally corrupt. I have a good amount of respect for you from past conversation, I expect you'll be able to see the reason of this and find more relevant reasons to criticize her position.

Domet,

I'm not sure what was "doctored", but those people were caught on tape saying those things. If Lakewoman can condone those things, then I have to stick by my opinion that she has no morals.

But as I have said before, I can listen to an argument and adjust my view. I partially agree with your statements in the second paragraph. You caught me making a broad, generalized statement about a group of people. Just like no politician is all good or all bad, everybody in an organization that size is probably not all bad. There are probably some branches and some individuals that were actually trying to do the right thing. That part I will agree with. But on the other hand, there were way too many instances of "funny business" going on at numerous locations scattered all over the country. It makes me believe that there is a pattern of corruption in that organization. And when I went to an ACORN function in Flint and saw the way they worked with individuals going out to collect voter registrations, that was not ethical. And hearing the stories of how they got some people to sign up, it was pure deceit and harassment. So is everybody and every branch in ACORN bad, probably not, but I believe an overwhelming majority are corrupt.

If you have noticed, I have not personally attacked you. The fact that you left ACORN because you had issues with things they did, shows that you apparently have a level of morality that ACORN violated. And apparently you felt they were crossing a line that was beyond acceptable political activism. Therefore, even though I don't agree with you on several issues when it comes to ACORN, I respect your right to you opinion.

Thomas Jefferson
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:17 pm 
Domet
F L I N T O I D

You're an alright fella, Concerned.

The group had a lot of problems, and to be honest they had bloated to much that their agenda became more relevant to them than their supposed goals to support and work with low to middle income families in need. It's sad but as it goes with many people and groups, with a rise in power so too often comes a rise in corruption. ACORN fell into a trap many before them had, and they tried to do too little too late.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:47 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: