FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Should Central H.S. be sold to Powers,pro or con ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
J HUNTINGWORTH TUNE
F L I N T O I D

You don't have to be Catholic to go to Powers.
As it happens I am not a Roman Catholic. and I know of numerous non Catholic families in this area who send their children to parochial schools for the overriding reasons that they value their kids education and safety.
I've personally seen these parents manage the cost by pinching the Nickel until the Baffalo had to sh*t.It can mean not eating at restaurants except on very special occasions,never going out to a movie,and keeping the house at 60 f in the Winter ( no I do Not exaggerate ) A new car? Running up the charge card for an unnecessary expense ? It dont happen.But its worth every Penny.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:09 am 
Domet
F L I N T O I D

I have opposed this idea from the start and continue to oppose it now. There is something deeply disturbing about allowing a private school to move into what was an amazing public school - it will change the dynamics of the neighborhood and just push the area in entirely new directions that will benefit a few more than the many.

Consequences for this move are beyond simply filling up an empty building - they stretch beyond just giving the Flint School District a bundle of money. The 48503 area code in which it resides is already a neighborhood under attack by gentrification - this would, in the long term, be a terrible mistake. Powers, go somewhere else.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:50 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

You're right; just let the building sit there & rot like the rest of the closed schools.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Maybe they can turn it into a new headquarters for the acorn klan once they regroup that would probably make domet all giggly.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:00 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Domet schreef:
I have opposed this idea from the start and continue to oppose it now. There is something deeply disturbing about allowing a private school to move into what was an amazing public school - it will change the dynamics of the neighborhood and just push the area in entirely new directions that will benefit a few more than the many.

Consequences for this move are beyond simply filling up an empty building - they stretch beyond just giving the Flint School District a bundle of money. The 48503 area code in which it resides is already a neighborhood under attack by gentrification - this would, in the long term, be a terrible mistake. Powers, go somewhere else.

So,your propsal for the now vacated building formerly know as " Flint Central High School" Mr . Leftwingnut (a.k.a, Lil ACORN) ? What "dynamics" ? The neighborhood is pretty snooty to begin with. And just to throw this in people THIS ARGUMENT IS USELESS! POWERS WON'T MOVE INTO IT ANYWAY!! The information I have seen is Powers wants to be farther South, even further away from that sink hole known as Flint. And your "under attack by gentrification" Lil ACORN is hillarious! Oh, yuppies are so horrible ( are there any yuppies left in this era anyway?) . Yes, yuppies who move into areas do horrible things to those area, I mean totally ghastly. They rename things ,typically showing seriously prentensious attitudes. Yuppies ( again gasp) rennovate houses and get businesses started. And I have even heard ( now steady yourself here Lil ACORN,this one is going to horrify you) they create wine tasting clubs and go out and buy expensive wines ( as opposed to cheap crack ) and expensive cheeses to go with these expensive wines . These people who do these horrible things can't be allowed to mingle with the likes of the welfare mommas and thugs who could move into this area. God forbid that from happening! Why these poor , underprivliged folks may see what these other people have done and feel bad about their life choices and feel (shudder) "bad" about their lives and what they have chose for their lives. And we know Lil ACORN just loves those baggy panted, dysfunctional folks so much that he wants to make sure they never feel compelled to any different from what they are already.See if they changed their lives Lil ACORN fears he and all others like him ( the Terminally Self-Righteous Saviors of Humanity) would be out of a job.
Look pal, I mock yuppies too. And god knows I wouldn't fit in with them damned snobs,but let's get real. I would rather have employed , tax paying , expensive wine and cheese buying , quiche eating, gallery going, "what's going on with my IRA" snobs than the government cheese eating, cud chewing ,baggy pants wearing "gangsta" wannabe that you seem to be looking out for. IF Powers wanted to take over the old Central building I say welcome with them open arm. I say throw one huge ass wine and cheese party to welcome to the "hood". Let me know where I can send donations for the wine and cheese fund. And Lil ACORN, please, stop yammering about " under attack by gentrification". Flint should welcome attacks of this nature more often. I would say even encourage such " attacks" . All we need is the correct cheese ( and wine) to lure them pesky yuppies.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:18 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I gotta wonder who could be snobbish while living in FLINT.
Elite Hoity Toity uppity one from the Hamptons, meets little acorn while on holiday"I say old chap (as he sips some $20 latte) where do you and yours reside", ah yes we and our family come from Flint Mi. a cultural area dont you know, no riff raff allowed. Laughing

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:26 am 
J HUNTINGWORTH TUNE
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Domet schreef:

I don't wish to be rude,but your conclusions seem to me inaccurate, erroneous , and irresponsible ..
Should Powers,or some other fine school be convinced to invest the significant funds necessary to rehap the building ,it would be a boon for the students and the area as a whole.The students of Powers would benefit from attending a school in proximity to the cultural advantages of U.M Flint, Mott,Whiting,Dort Music,F.I A.,Flint Public Library,Sloan, and the Planetarium .
Flint Students would benefit from an infusion of funds needed to rehab other schools now in use by them, as well as by the stanching of a negative capital flow ,the heating of a empty and deteriorating Central.
The area surrounding Central could benefit from an influx of people who thought enough of their childrens safety and education to send them to Powers.Flint by an enhanced tax base.Attacked by gentrification ? Look around you.Thats an attack I would invite.
Are there negatives? Yes probably.But for whom? May I guess? Do I smell an agenda?
Is Powers still interested? I do not have any inside information to the contrary.Maybe they are not and all this is futile.You tell me..Has Powers been contacted? Has Powers contacted the Flint School Board?
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:44 am 
Domet
F L I N T O I D

quote:
J HUNTINGWORTH TUNE schreef:
I don't wish to be rude,but your conclusions seem to me inaccurate, erroneous , and irresponsible ..

You presented nothing to suggest that my "conclusions" (none of which I drew, since there is... no data to conclude anything from) were inaccurate, erroneous, or irresponsible. I stated an opinion based on sociological understaning of both the area and instances throughout the country of public schools being put to use by private entities. You can toss words at me all you would like, but when they are little more than bluster and attack, you still have a point to make, and I will be merrily waiting.

As to an agenda - what sort of agenda would I be undertaking? I am a concerned citizen in the City of Flint and my opinion on the matter is as valid as yours. The difference is that I made mine without condescending you or your position.

Pissed - what an insane rant. It's good to see you still haven't learned to be reasonable. I don't give two shits about your thoughts on yuppies or ACORN - your understanding of gentrification is clearly slanted and lacks genuine understanding. There are both positives and negatives to gentrification, and as has been shown in various urban renewal projects across the country it can be an incredible boon for the area it occurs in. I am not against the progression of the city, and I am not against Flint becoming prosperous - however, gentrification has the habit of curing a city of some of its ills while simply pushing the problem elsewhere without resolution. I don't have all the answers, and I have never claimed to - but I will say that I am more interested in exploring the options rather than just watching good people getting screwed over in a process that allows those with money to trod all over people who have built their lives here. Not every person in Flint who would be affected by gentrification are crack addled losers, and if you don't recognize that then you fail to understand what I am talking about and you miss the point entirely.

Twotap - still a sad old man. Ha.

Dave - I never said anything about letting the building rot. Just because I do not support Powers moving into the building does not mean that I think it should sit empty. It's a massive building, and there are a number of things it could be used for. Moving a private group there which has a tuition attached to it which would pretty much only let a certain segment into the building and thus further denying access to the community would be an apalling use of the structure as far as I am concerned. Letting it sit empty would equally be a waste. Use it for something the public can get use out of.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:59 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

What a liberal moron. Laughing

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:09 pm 
Domet
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
What a liberal moron.

What a clever and useful argument. Laughing

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:11 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quick and to the point. Laughing Someday youll grow up and see the real world maybe. Laughing

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:13 pm 
Domet
F L I N T O I D

Indeed, and ever as relevent, insightful and thought out as usual. Laughing Someday you will realize that just because you're old and bitter doesn't give you sole control over "reality" and that you've wasted your elder years being a partisan tool for poor reasons maybe Laughing

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:14 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Domet schreef:
quote:
J HUNTINGWORTH TUNE schreef:

You presented nothing to suggest that my "conclusions" (none of which I drew, since there is... no data to conclude anything from) were inaccurate, erroneous, or irresponsible. I stated an opinion based on sociological understaning of both the area and instances throughout the country of public schools being put to use by private entities. You can toss words at me all you would like, but when they are little more than bluster and attack, you still have a point to make, and I will be merrily waiting.

As to an agenda - what sort of agenda would I be undertaking? I am a concerned citizen in the City of Flint and my opinion on the matter is as valid as yours. The difference is that I made mine without condescending you or your position.

Pissed - what an insane rant. It's good to see you still haven't learned to be reasonable. I don't give two shits about your thoughts on yuppies or ACORN - your understanding of gentrification is clearly slanted and lacks genuine understanding. There are both positives and negatives to gentrification, and as has been shown in various urban renewal projects across the country it can be an incredible boon for the area it occurs in. I am not against the progression of the city, and I am not against Flint becoming prosperous - however, gentrification has the habit of curing a city of some of its ills while simply pushing the problem elsewhere without resolution. I don't have all the answers, and I have never claimed to - but I will say that I am more interested in exploring the options rather than just watching good people getting screwed over in a process that allows those with money to trod all over people who have built their lives here. Not every person in Flint who would be affected by gentrification are crack addled losers, and if you don't recognize that then you fail to understand what I am talking about and you miss the point entirely.

Twotap - still a sad old man. Ha.

Dave - I never said anything about letting the building rot. Just because I do not support Powers moving into the building does not mean that I think it should sit empty. It's a massive building, and there are a number of things it could be used for. Moving a private group there which has a tuition attached to it which would pretty much only let a certain segment into the building and thus further denying access to the community would be an apalling use of the structure as far as I am concerned. Letting it sit empty would equally be a waste. Use it for something the public can get use out of.

Blah,blah, blah,Domet. I guess you and you alone know all things that will result in this evil gentrifaction. You are an arrogant man( or woman, I have no idea) thinking you see all things more clearly than anyone else. So what is the problem you see from yuppies taking over the area around Central's old building? Them taking over houses now means they are occupied, them evil gentrifiers are greedy, they start businesses, Businesses employs people, thus largely elimimating a chief source of poverty, that being no job. So enlighten me Lil ACORN, how is that so problem evading? I would rather deal with people who have money than those who don't have any. You can always sue them, what can you get out the po folks? Hell ,you probably don't think po people should be convicted for doing bad deeds. Domet, you are a class warrior, get over it , them po folks would turn on you in a second especially if your academic work starts paying you well .
Like I said, I rag on yuppies all the time. But they are cash cows Flint needs.
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:40 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hey pissed wait till little domet gets out of mom and dads cozy little home, gets a real job starts buying his own food, washing his own jammies and tiedyed tees, mom quits packing his lunchs,( I wonder if she cuts the crust off his sammys?)and paying a mortgage and his own insurance and maybe even marries and has a kid or two. Well see what Mr. liberal educated know it all has to say then.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:08 pm 
J HUNTINGWORTH TUNE
F L I N T O I D

Tut Tut my dear Merry,Please don't get your knickers in a wedge.I was dealing with Observable data and common sense,surprising how the use of which can lead to practical and useful conclusions.
Some facts or data (quantified or not) are so clear that they have the status of an axiom.Trying to explain them even to such an obviously bright person as yourself ( oops I'm Patronizing you ) is like trying to explain the meaning of "IT" to President Bill .If you don't already get IT,IT probably can't be explained to you.But I'll try.
As it stands, slowly rotting, Central is a drain on the school system.If it were sold it would be a source of income to that very school system.Your Conclusion that it would somehow be better for ? The students,neighborhood,cosmos ??, to not do so,and in fact be somehow a negative for the neighborhood (where I live ) I find implausable to the point that I question your impartiality, (hence my comment about agenda.)
As for myself,,I am not in any way connected to Powers,not by employment , family relationship, or faith.I have never been in the school.
Neither do I have any connection to Central,other than being there for a few hours in 1966.I would not gain financially ,aside from the almost certain neighborhood improvemnt ,if a deal were struck.Can you claim the same disinterest ?
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:23 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: