FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Cultural center neighborhood is dangerous
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

To: ccnaflint
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:28:08 -0500
Subject: RE: [ccnaflint] sad story

Seems like we should hold a neighborhood meeting specifically about the crime watch issue.

Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:38 AM

Subject: Re: [ccnaflint] sad story

I think that some sort of watch group could be useful.I am sorry to say that Flint is clearly reaching its tipping point.This is especially true as the Summer months approach,and with the possibility of more Police layoffs.But I am only stating the obvious.We are on our own.

Crime can not be stopped when it is addressed only at the point of Murder,Rape and Armed Robbery.Ask Mayor Giuliani as to.how he cleaned up New York City .It starts with graffiti and broken windows.and speeding on Court st ( a petition was sent to our Mayor signed by 40 of our neighbors re this chronic problem, can you see any result ? )

I would like to know the details of what is proposed in the way of a crime watch,and what I can do to contribute either time or funds.

--- On Thu, 2/18/10, craig wolcott wrote:

Subject: Re: [ccnaflint] sad story
Date: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 5:17 AM

I mentioned a crime watch a year ago. Seemed it was rejected due to lack of interest and some felt it would be too much work. SCAT was supported by folks on the north side of Court as well as the south side, there was just not enough support from the community.

I would be happy to help in starting something up again, if there was enough interest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: ccnaflint Moderator
Sent: Wed, February 17, 2010 8:21:48 PM
Subject: RE: [ccnaflint] sad story

We used to have a neighborhood crime watch, at least on the south side of E. Court Street. It was called SCAT, South Court Action Team. Perhaps it is time to reactivate it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:16:41 -0800
Subject: [ccnaflint] sad story

As per our discussion on crime in the neighborhood/ Flint, I'd like to remind everyone that it's happening everywhere. Just consider the sad story below from Holly Twp! As a dog owner I am horrified...

I hope we can discuss a neighborhood watch! I heard today that a group of young adults were spotted checking car doors down Gold St today. Police were called and had a quick response time but it is unkown as to whether or not the group was caught.

~Cathy

Dog killed, gun stolen during home invasion in Holly Township
By Laura Misjak | The Flint Journal
February 17, 2010, 4:41PM
HOLLY TOWNSHIP, Michigan — Michigan State Police Groveland Post is searching for any information regarding a Tuesday home invasion in Holly Township.

Someone had kicked in a door to the home on the 2300 block of Belford Road sometime between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., according to a state police news release.

The homeowner returned to find his dog of 10 years, a shepard-chow mix, was shot to death. The owner told police his dog was "the nicest dog in the world," and wouldn't hurt anyone.

A 9-mm handgun was stolen from the residence, along with electronics and other items.

The suspect used a different gun to shoot the dog, according to police.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Trooper Trevor Radke or Detective/Sgt. Gary Muir at (248) 634-4882.
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Recall petition language submitted to recall Flint Mayor Dayne Walling over police and fire layoffs
By Melissa Burden | Flint Journal
February 22, 2010, 11:30AM

Dayne WallingFLINT, Michigan — A Flint Board of Education member who is seeking to recall six fellow board members has now turned his attention to the City of Flint’s leader.

David Davenport said today that he filed recall petition language with the Genesee County Clerk’s office against Flint Mayor Dayne Walling for “jeopardizing the safety of the citizens of Flint.”

Davenport said he filed the petition against Walling in response to him last week pink slipping 80 police and firefighters due to city’s budget problems.

“As a leader of the city, for me to allow money to be top priority over the safety of the citizens of the city is ridiculous,” Davenport said.

Walling said today that Davenport has a right to seek a recall against him but public safety is his top priority.

“I maintain my position that everyone must share in the solution to the city’s budget crisis,” he said. “I have asked for reasonable cost concessions from our public safety unions. We have not been able to reach an agreement yet. The layoff notices are in the mail and we have a window of opportunity here to get an agreement.”

If no agreement is reached with the unions, the layoffs would go into effect in early March, Walling said.

“We’ll have the largest public safety force that this city’s taxpayer force can afford and the more reasonable our unions are, the stronger the system will be,” he said.

A Genesee County Election Commission clarity hearing on the petition language tentatively has been scheduled for 11:30 a.m. March 10 in Genesee Probate Judge Jennie Barkey’s courtroom.

If the language is approved, Davenport will have up to 180 days to collect a to-be-determined number of valid signatures to get the recall on the ballot.

Last week, Flint resident Carolyn Spight submitted recall language against Davenport. A hearing on the clarity of that language is scheduled for 1 p.m. March 1 in Barkey’s court.
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

You really think college cultural is dangerous? So anyhwere that has breakins and needs crime watches is dangerous? Well than we should add Flushing, Swartz Creek, Woodcroft, Davison, Grand Blanc, Clio, Lapeer, Oakland County........
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:50 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

You should probably somewhat edit the email addresses for spam reasons. So spam bots don't pick up these peoples email addresses not to mention the privacy issue.
Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:14 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Many neighborhoods are experiencing crime they never had before. A woman spoke at council tonight saying they have had 2 drive by shootings on Zimmerman in the 8th ward. This had never happened in her neighborhood before.

The new northern neighborhood is experiencing armed robberies in homeowners driveways. Other neighborhoods are having gang shootots on the streets for the first time.

wait for summer, the gangs are already saying they want warfare.
Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:31 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Ok so when I read about two armed robberies in davison this year, that means thats a bad community too?
Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:44 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Also, we will be facing a new type of criminal. I can remember Sheriff Pickell discussing desperate and newly unemployed people committing crimes.

When the newly released felons return to no chance of a job they will be vulnerable for recidivism.
Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:23 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

How many residents want to patrol their neighborhoods with crime watch signs on their cars? Makes an inviting target.

We have a crime watch in our neighborhood. We all know one another and what people's schedules are. We keep an eye on each others houses & call 911 when we see something. We don't patrol - we keep our eyes & ears open. All it takes is caring about each other.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

here here dave. now THATS the way we do it!! Smile

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:21 pm 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

It is a bad area and getting worse fast. I was forwarded that e mail from a high profile member of that group and then in turn sent it to numerous people. I think people should know about this kinda of crime happening in my neighborhood. Maybe Rebecca should write things on a public yahoo group that hundreds of people can read and forward.
Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Also, we will be facing a new type of criminal. I can remember Sheriff Pickell discussing desperate and newly unemployed people committing crimes.

When the newly released felons return to no chance of a job they will be vulnerable for recidivism.

If I lose my job and need food,clothes and money I to will do whatever I have to do to make it.
Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:05 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The cultural area should be the safest part of town; it's where the mayor lives. I'm sure they get a lot more patrols than the rest of the city.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
We have a crime watch in our neighborhood. We all know one another and what people's schedules are. We keep an eye on each others houses & call 911 when we see something. We don't patrol - we keep our eyes & ears open. All it takes is caring about each other.

You almost have it perfect Dave.

Idea Adding a sniper rifle to that equation should work wonders. Twisted Evil

Thomas Jefferson
Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:11 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

Soccer moms from the burbs driving Hummers?

Sorry couldn't resist the smart alec remark.....
Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:24 pm 
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Derrick1965 schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

If I lose my job and need food,clothes and money I to will do whatever I have to do to make it.

And knowing this , I would do what it takes to make sure what I own stays mine,and you would be SOL even worse. Want to try your luck in my neighborhood Derrick?

Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: