FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: A new mini station for Hurley?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There may be a proposed mini-station at Hurley Hospital, probably by Patrick Street. Theoretically this site will address crime issues in the hospital-university sreas where new development is occuring. Since Hurley is already paying for an officer and the site is theirs, there should be minimal costs.
Problem is the majority of murders are occuring near Welch and Dupont and north of there. Shots were being fired near Haskell last night around midnight.
Officers Carpenter and Coffey are said to be good officers and citizens are hopeful there will be positive results with their involvement. Carpenter is PAL and 2nd ward and Coffey is the North side mini-station.
Many 5th ward
Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:50 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

impressive. Confused

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:45 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Based on web's post, Walling's former campaign office at Welch & Chevrolet would seem to be an ideal location for a ministation.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling says that location is too close to Haskell. Since Haskell is 2nd ward, many 5th ward will probably use it because it is closer to them. Plus Jesse Carpenter is an excellent officer.
Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:29 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

It makes sense as long as the city staffs the station and makes sure its functional.

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
There may be a proposed mini-station at Hurley Hospital, probably by Patrick Street. Theoretically this site will address crime issues in the hospital-university sreas where new development is occuring. Since Hurley is already paying for an officer and the site is theirs, there should be minimal costs.
Problem is the majority of murders are occuring near Welch and Dupont and north of there. Shots were being fired near Haskell last night around midnight.
Officers Carpenter and Coffey are said to be good officers and citizens are hopeful there will be positive results with their involvement. Carpenter is PAL and 2nd ward and Coffey is the North side mini-station.
Many 5th ward

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

looks great to me. also looks like walling is keeping to his word! i'm impressed thus far. Smile

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:42 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

I think that would be a great location. you need to spread out the ministations so criminals dont feel safe anywhere. Overall i'm glad to see things actually happening. A- on your first 100 days Walling.
Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:54 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The value of the Hurley mini-station is primarily for Hurley. The immediate area around Hurley has many vacant and abandoned properties. Much has been done to improve their image as a safe place to go for services. Grand Traverse and other nearby streets have been cleared of homes in disrepair and a greenbelt has been created. New parking lots to the west of the hospital are protected by Hurley security officers. The house on Begole that housed prostitutes is now vacant.
Heartland Manor is gone as well as the parking lots on University and on Fifth. It appears the remaining four houses on the west side of Begole ( just outside of the historic district) have been purchased and are ready for dmolition. This will leave the entire area bounded by Fifth, Begole, University and Patrick vacant and ready for a major development project. The site already gorgeous and will be better in the fure.
Hurley is proposing housing for employees who want to walk to work. John Carpenters work in rebuilding an entire street in Smith Village was to tie in to eigth street leading to Hurley. A mini-station will help this effort. This will also help safety issues in Carriage Town and Kettering. This is an area for future development.
BUt what it doesn't do is serve the residents well in the northern part of the fifth ward.This area is struggling. Even the new Downtown Weed and Seed are is a sham and merely a mechanism to promote Salem Housing and their allies.The federal government needs to be ashamed of itself.
Post Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:40 am 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

Name one thing the city of Flint does good at Eashoo?

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
It makes sense as long as the city staffs the station and makes sure its functional.

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Many 5th ward

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:39 pm 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

Walling talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk.

quote:
munnbreslin schreef:
I think that would be a great location. you need to spread out the ministations so criminals dont feel safe anywhere. Overall i'm glad to see things actually happening. A- on your first 100 days Walling.
Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:40 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling deserves a chance. However, he is on the news so much you have to wonder who is really running the city, Maybe that is what Greg Eason is doing.
Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:06 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

derrick, what do you have against the mayors administration?

P.Y.
Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:44 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The value of the Hurley mini-station is primarily for Hurley. The immediate area around Hurley has many vacant and abandoned properties. Much has been done to improve their image as a safe place to go for services. Grand Traverse and other nearby streets have been cleared of homes in disrepair and a greenbelt has been created. New parking lots to the west of the hospital are protected by Hurley security officers. The house on Begole that housed prostitutes is now vacant.
Heartland Manor is gone as well as the parking lots on University and on Fifth. It appears the remaining four houses on the west side of Begole ( just outside of the historic district) have been purchased and are ready for dmolition. This will leave the entire area bounded by Fifth, Begole, University and Patrick vacant and ready for a major development project. The site already gorgeous and will be better in the fure.
Hurley is proposing housing for employees who want to walk to work. John Carpenters work in rebuilding an entire street in Smith Village was to tie in to eigth street leading to Hurley. A mini-station will help this effort. This will also help safety issues in Carriage Town and Kettering. This is an area for future development.
BUt what it doesn't do is serve the residents well in the northern part of the fifth ward.This area is struggling. Even the new Downtown Weed and Seed are is a sham and merely a mechanism to promote Salem Housing and their allies.The federal government needs to be ashamed of itself.

Weed and Seed sites compete for grants nationally. We are lucky to have been granted this Downtown site. Community members worked hard together to create programs to be funded. A number of detroit sites submitted and did not receive.North Central Flint has a grant extentsion. Southside Flint submitted and will submit again.
If you did not help ..then you have no basis to complain.

Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:30 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Rapunzel- I rarely take offense but you righteous indignation is exactly why inner city groups don't get along. You don't know what I do in the community ...
I helped with the former east side weed and seed only to see Kate Fields try to usurp the authority of the US Attorney. Dan Kildee said he was totally humiliated when Kate tried to throw out the US Attorney Nancy Abraham. The whole process had to be redone with a new fiduciary.
The North Central group had to discharge aformer director for misude of the office. A closed door session with some top brass from the Detroit weed and seed was held in the Sylvester Broome Center.
The Downtown weed and seed is outrageous. You may as well call it the Salem Housing-Metawaneenee Hills pandering group.
If the south side grant failed then it is the fault of those overseeing the grant process. Probably divided and/or misplaced loyalties. YOUR LOYALTIES APPEAR TO BE WITH THE DOWNTOWN STATUS QUO GROUPS.
Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:05 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Derrick what do you mean he doesent walk the walk? He said he would begin to open ministations, he has. He said he would work to redevelop brownfields, he has gotten committment from th Army Corps of Engineers to turn Chevy in the Hole into a park. He said he would pursue more public safety grants, he has gotten 2. He said he would put business forms online, he has. He said he would make the city more transparent, he has started a city blog and twitter account for easy access to city events. And this is only 100 days! Its a 2 1/2 year term. So when you say he doesent walk the walk, please elaborate for us all. Also, your posts on other topics advising leaving the city simply makes me think you have no desire and are willing to put no effort forth to see Flint thrive again. Please answer your claim about Walling's supposed inactivity though, I'd love to hear this logic.
Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:26 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: