FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Mayor announces 6 new police officers

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

For the South side of Flint. None for the rest of the city? Heard another home invasion call in the Mott Park area on the scanner this morning.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:16 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

At Council last night the City Administrator talked about funding additional police with Block Grant Dollars for other areas of the City. It would include 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and parts of the 6th.
Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Hey this grant was very specific and stated that the area needed thriving businesses and an upswing in crime. The 9th Ward fits this description. So does the 6th Ward for you Mott Park residents, but the money had to be spent somewhere and if it was the 6th ward, 9th warders would be mad. Lets not look at where specifically this is, but how its in our city and helping a part of our Flint.
Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:39 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
For the South side of Flint. None for the rest of the city? Heard another home invasion call in the Mott Park area on the scanner this morning.

North side weed and seed initiative has been going on for years. This money was allocated to target crime in the north side of the city. I don't recall you objecting to this over the last few years. The city is taking a step in the right direction, regardless of where the officers are being assigned.
Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:39 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Don't forget the city has to commit to match these grant funds. Ask why these details are left out of the news announcement.
Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:51 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Rolling Eyes The South side has had a serious gang problem for years. The gangs have placed girls as young as 12 into prostitution. This task force is long overdue!
In my opinion the resources that were available in the North side were not used as advantageously as they could hve been. Also, they never had funding as great as this.
I am not hearing about the cuts in revenue sharing from the state. These funds hit the general fund and are the biggest source of funding for public safety. Are the cuts for this year? The revenue sharing funds come in installments and the final payments come after our fiscal year ends. The state operates on a different fiscal year than the city. Adjustments may have to be made in the budget as I hear the cuts may be as much as 2 million.
Officials should tell us what the total impact will be. If we have to lay ooff police what is the final tally.
Applying for grants and getting them are two separate issues. The federal government cut off COPS grants, and lessened Byrnes and JAG grants years ago.
Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:14 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

amen to that!!!! please help the 7th. ward and the south side.

saginaw st to center road

lippincott to lapeer rd.

there are some real hot spots in those area!!

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:22 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Southside did submit a grant to DOJ for Weed and Seed funds. They competed nationally for funding but did not receive it. I am sure they will submit again next year.

Downtown also submitted a grant and received funding. I believe the re-entry portion was the key to receiving the grant.

Peace,
RAP

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:24 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: