FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Council candidate's husband helps catch metal thief.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Yesterday morning, someone called Lynne Waybright, 5th ward council candidate, and told her it looked like there was a break in down the street from her home. Lynne's husband, Bruce, went to the house and saw a truck pulled way up in the driveway that did not belong to the owners, who were renovating the house. The back of the truck was loaded with aluminum and copper. Bruce took pictures of the truck, including the license plate, as the thief was leaving. Bruce called back to his home, and a family friend that was visiting them called the police with the information, including the license number. The thief was caught on Carpenter Rd, on his way to a junk yard to sell the metal. The officers called Bruce & Lynne, who went to the location and showed the offficers the pictures. Thanks to Bruce's quick response and pictures, there's one less metal thief in Flint today.

It's too bad more people aren't willing to do the same. Crime will not be reduced until and unless citizens do their part. The Police officers can't be everywhere and see everything that's going on.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

now thats what i call a great neighbor!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:00 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Dave we need to come together for Lynne, she is the CHANGE we need in the Fifth ward. We need a council person that is dedicated to our ward the way Jim Ananich, Ehren Gonzalez or Sheldon Neeley are dedicated to their wards.

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Yesterday morning, someone called Lynne Waybright, 5th ward council candidate, and told her it looked like there was a break in down the street from her home. Lynne's husband, Bruce, went to the house and saw a truck pulled way up in the driveway that did not belong to the owners, who were renovating the house. The back of the truck was loaded with aluminum and copper. Bruce took pictures of the truck, including the license plate, as the thief was leaving. Bruce called back to his home, and a family friend that was visiting them called the police with the information, including the license number. The thief was caught on Carpenter Rd, on his way to a junk yard to sell the metal. The officers called Bruce & Lynne, who went to the location and showed the offficers the pictures. Thanks to Bruce's quick response and pictures, there's one less metal thief in Flint today.

It's too bad more people aren't willing to do the same. Crime will not be reduced until and unless citizens do their part. The Police officers can't be everywhere and see everything that's going on.

Post Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dan Moilanen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

Hence the need for the organized community policing that Walling wants to start. People need to know who to call, who to talk to, what to look for, etc.

"I am not a Marxist."
-Karl Marx
Post Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:29 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dan Moilanen schreef:
Hence the need for the organized community policing that Walling wants to start. People need to know who to call, who to talk to, what to look for, etc.
Wants to 'start' organized community policing? How does he intend to change what's already being done? This has been going on throughout the city for a long time.

When witnessing B&E in progress, call 911! Tell them there's been a problem in the area and you need someone now! Give detailed description of vehicle, license number, description of perpetrators, what they might be taking. This is what the officers tell us at our meetings. We've had more than one neighbor be called as a witness to testify in court as a result of thieves being caught in process of burglary. The officers at the meetings a few times even brought photos of suspects and vehicles they wanted us to watch out for and report ASAP if we saw anything suspicious. You don't have to be on patrol to watch for this activity, you can "watch" from home. Protect yourselves and your neighbors. One of my neighbors has a video hooked up to her house. One idiot tried to crawl through her bathroom window while she was at home--she got it on tape! Needless to say, she doesn't leave chairs outside anymore that can be used as ladder or stepstool. Common sense!
Post Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:48 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Its time to give notice to these pawn shops and scrap yard folks that buying stolen property is a felony. If these house stripper clowns dont have an outlet maybe they will find a more honest profession. Ya right. Laughing

Post Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:52 pm 
Dan Moilanen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
Dan Moilanen schreef:
Wants to 'start' organized community policing? How does he intend to change what's already being done? This has been going on throughout the city for a long time.

It's only being done in certain parts of the city. He wants to help get them organized and started throughout the entire city, in every ward. So it isn't a matter of him "changing" what already exists, but rather taking what exists and replicating it.

"I am not a Marxist."
-Karl Marx
Post Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:08 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

A few years back a community member witnessed siding being pulled off a house in his neighborhood. He called the police and followed the perps. When the police finally arrived they said HE WAS NOT THE HOMEOWNER so could not file a complaint. They also said they could not identify that that siding came from that house. There is No identifying numbers on the siding. I believe he took pictures.

At that time people were pushing shopping carts down the road with aluminum siding in them. Aluminum prices were high.

A few stings were made on scrap yards due to citizen complaints asking for ordinances to be enforced.

Peace,
RAP

Post Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:49 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

That happened here at the house next door a few years ago. I took pictures & gave the film to the home owner. I also told him I could identify the perp. The police said the pictures didn't clearly show the perp's face, & my identification wasn't enough. It ended well, though; the perp's cable connecting & water turn on "business" came to light & he got 3 years.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dan Moilanen schreef:

It's only being done in certain parts of the city. He wants to help get them organized and started throughout the entire city, in every ward. So it isn't a matter of him "changing" what already exists, but rather taking what exists and replicating it.

Dan, in a previous post by Terry Bankert, he stated that Walling told the group at a dinner that the neighborhood watches would not use the existing groups, but would be all new.
Please pass on to Dane that people patrolling in some neighborhoods would become targets. It may be better to train people to be better observers and have them call in what they see.
Our block club members have signs in their windows; WE SEE, We HEAR, WE CALL. They work.

Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:59 am 
Dan Moilanen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
quote:
Dan Moilanen schreef:

Dan, in a previous post by Terry Bankert, he stated that Walling told the group at a dinner that the neighborhood watches would not use the existing groups, but would be all new.
Please pass on to Dane that people patrolling in some neighborhoods would become targets. It may be better to train people to be better observers and have them call in what they see.
Our block club members have signs in their windows; WE SEE, We HEAR, WE CALL. They work.

Fair enough. I'm just going based off of what I was told when I was working on the campaign. Either way, you're right though, people who do patrols and are recognized for it may potentially become targets. That definitely cannot happen.

I think a lot of neighborhoods just have to work together, like you said, be observant and thoughtful of your neighbors and their property. Watch each others' backs.

I can definitely pass it on to him though.

"I am not a Marxist."
-Karl Marx
Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:02 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: