FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Uptown using scab workers.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Today I seen about 50 people picketing the former Hyatt hotel in downtown Flint. They were protesting the use of non union, non local contractors. One person on the picket line said that Uptown didn't bid out a lot of the contracts. Why would Uptown do this to Flint and its peoples?
Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:18 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
LakeWoman50 schreef:
Today I seen about 50 people picketing the former Hyatt hotel in downtown Flint. They were protesting the use of non union, non local contractors. One person on the picket line said that Uptown didn't bid out a lot of the contracts. Why would Uptown do this to Flint and its peoples?

Because in this day and age, people that don't belong to unions even need jobs...

The locality makes a difference...are they using people from Canada like the parking ramp people did?
Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:21 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

THANK GOD! These people ought to be happy to have a job in this economy, yet they strike. Keep using scab workers Uptown! Im so tired of the pro-union talk on this website. It has hurt Flint and ruined GM, the unions need less power, and now.
Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:54 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

You would think that the great grandson of Charles W. Motts would go to the beat of a different drum
Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:56 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Munnbres...it's not the talk of pro-union. Scab workers AND union folks have bills to pay and need buy food to feed their families.

Any jobs that we can get in this area at the moment are good. If companies want to use non-union, fine. If they want to use union fine. We must come up with a workable solution and soon. We are destroying ourselves in order to maintain the happiness with appeasing the masses. Jobs are jobs, as long as employees aren't "bending over" than all is well.

My G-Grandma used to be a pastry maker for the Durant Hotel. She was a nobody though.
Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:07 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Uptown should bid out the contracts, particularly if they receive any public money... grants... etc for the work.

Of course, completely private companies with completely private funds can do whatever the heck they want. And people can picket. And scabs can cross picket lines. And people can .. about it. because that's freedom.

Bidding out contracts, however, won't stop the picketing because chances are, the winning bid would be an out of town or out of state business with likewise workers.

And who is Charles W Motts?

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:48 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

gee. my ggrandad worked at the durant also!

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:02 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

****gee. my ggrandad worked at the durant also!****

Kind of a small world, eh? Smile She also used to have a milliner shop downtown with her sister...I don't have any idea about the dates of all of this, I guess that I should ask some of the older relatives....hmm.
Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:40 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

if you have any extremely aged relatives who worked at the durant, ask them if they knew a mulatto guy named james h. johnson. a cook!Laughing Laughing

jesus....you mean the millender shop?? i remember going with my mom to that place downtown.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:49 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

It's funny the history of the area.

Great Grandma died in 1985 and the family historian on that side JUST passed away 2 months ago...I will ask her daughter when she worked there. It was probably in the 40's when she worked there after Great Grandpa died.

I was thinking the hat shops were called milliner shops...you are giving me some homework to do...Smile She had a shop with her sister, Florence? or Murlie. I guess it's funny because my mom made her own wedding veil and I made my own with help from that side of the family and all of the tricks handed down too boot...I guess the right of passage for the Smith sisters..Smile

Then there was the Boss Family that lived on Court Street back in the 1860's to 1870's that were friends of my three Great grandpa when they came over from England, they owned a stage coach company....

I think that you are getting me interested in genealogy again...Smile
Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:04 pm 
Gumby
F L I N T O I D

Lakewoman,

Funny I work across the street from the Hyatt and have never seen more than 6-10 guys out there including the day in question. Also their signs say "Local 1075 - No Contract No Work" Nothing to do with the use of non union, non local contractors. I am not saying you are lying but the facts don't add up.

From what I have heard is that the Labor and pipe fitters union is on strike nationwide because they don't have a contract. I heard this from a buddy at work whos brother is in a trades union. It seems to make more sense considering what is written on their signs.
Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:03 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

heard from a friend in the business that the pipefitters want a $1.80 per hour raise each year of the 3 year contract.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

1075 is the laborers union. from the wording of the sign quoted by Gumby it appears as though the general contractor is non-union and unwilling to sign a labor contract(which basically states the contractor will be signatory to the union as far as wages and fringes are concerned). i have heard of certain situations in which "project agreements" were signed which would encumber the general only for that project. i think the game is beginning with both sides shooting for homeruns. I WANT THIS, NO I WANT THIS!! there are only three ways this will end.
1. general signs agreement with unions stating he will forever remain union.
2. general says "frak-off" and does the project non-union.
3. unions ease up a little and allow the contractor to sign a PROJECT agreement, then uses some union and some non-union trades.

as far as pipefitters are concerned. genesee county fitters have been behind fitters in some other states for quite a while, and ahead of others. ultimately, the bargaining committee of both the contractors and the pipefitters local will hash out a solution.

P.Y.
Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:41 pm 
Gumby
F L I N T O I D

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=6862368
Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:57 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: