FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

Home Open Chat Political Talk  Flint Journal Political Jokes The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > The In My Opinion Show

Topic: STATE TAKEOVER-FLINT PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
squash
F L I N T O I D

The issue is much more copmplicated than bad teachers and union protectionism. (not sure that's a real word)

quote:
Unions never protect bad teachers. Administrations and Management fail to do their jobs properly allowing for good representation by UNions winning the arguement.

Ted I'm a little confused by this statement.

quote:
Try to get rid of a bad teacher & see how hard the union fights to keep them.

Do you really believe that there is a higher concentration of bad teachers in Flint? Or could it be that there is a higher degree of dfficulty in Flint than say Davison or Bendle?
Post Thu May 22, 2008 9:29 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave Starr schreef:

Try to get rid of a bad teacher & see how hard the union fights to keep them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is very easy when you have skilled management that knows how to do their jobs!
Post Thu May 22, 2008 10:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
jackofhearts1
F L I N T O I D

It seems obvious who those are that teach and who those are that administer. For those of you who administer, TEACH! Only when you have been in the classroom, can you begin to realize where your children come from. For me, they are my children. They are the reason I get up in the morning, the reason I don't take sick days (I don't want kaos when I return). These are the children that I know and love. These are the children that hug you everyday because they may not get a hug at home. These are the children that get free breakfast, free lunch, and sneak food at lunch-time for later. Why? Because many of these children only eat when they are at school. These are the children that need MORE background information and life experinences than other children.

I honesltly cannot believe that people who "THINK" they know what they are talking about, obviously have no idea compared to those of us who do.

For Administrators, these children are statistics, they are test scores, they are grant and funding and free lunch and free tutoring and free everything else you can think of to include.

I understand the opinions of the public. I also understand the opinions of the educators. I believe with No Child Left Behind (which I happen to disagree with) the government is literally forcing out bad teachers. Who in their right mind would get a bachelors degree, a master's degree or two, a PhD and additonal credits on a regular basis to keep their certification. And NO, the school doesn't pay for that and NO the school doesn't pay for your certification and re-certifications.

I'm sure no one on the outside would work for the wages we receive, with the education we have, if they didn't love the children!
Post Thu May 22, 2008 4:58 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

No child left behind is unconstitutional. In Davison our administration building was a small trailer for a very few number of people but in Davison I guess students and buildings are more of a priority than in Flint. Flint seems to want to "help out" teachers by giving them more administration to help teach them how to do their jobs. It's probably been a good thing for Flint's administration that I attended school in Davison but now I am in Flint. I still support Linda Thompson but half if not more of the adminstration needs to go back to the classrooms or be cut.
Post Thu May 22, 2008 6:42 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

quote:
I still support Linda Thompson but half if not more of the adminstration needs to go back to the classrooms or be cut.

Holy crap I agree with Adam. Put some of these administrators back in the classroom and they will most certainly retire. (most are coasting at 30+ yrs any way)

2 birds 1 stone.
Post Thu May 22, 2008 8:33 pm 
jackofhearts1
F L I N T O I D

When you have not made AYP the state decides, depending on the federal government, which districts need to be shadowed. Shadowing means they send in their representatives to "watch" over you. Believe me, the state does not pay for the shadowig. The district that is not making AYP does. Furthermore, low income districts are also financially burdened with transportation for those children who are homeless. Yes, we must provide transportation, no matter where they live, to their home district. We must also supply tutoring and additonal benefits and make the parents and communtiy aware that we have not made AYP. I'm not against the awareness part. I am against the district that is already financially burdened to take on other financial burdens when that money could be spent helping the children.

Who are the "shadowers, you ask?" That is what many of us educators would like to know. We see people in our building, that the district is paying, and nobody knows who they are, what their experience is, what position they hold, what their certifications are, how much they are making, are they part of the teacher's union or administration, and what their capacity is as an educator. Who do these people account to and what makes their word so much better than those of us who actually teach in the classroom?

There is absolutely toooooo much BS going on in the public system. We could save alot of money by doing the following:......... I would list it, but someone would come along, pirate the ideas and use them as their own. They would probably make alot of money in the process. That business, I should be getting into. It seems much more profitable. However, I am not a profitable person. I love my job! If it paid less, I would live with less. If it paid more, I would certainly be appreciative. Maybe we should go back to living in the houses of the students we teach and be paid in sugar and potatoes. Who are the educators now?

I guess if you want to put it into realistic terms, I could supervise at the shop. I am qualified to hold a supervisory position. Or better yet, I'll join the service as an officer. Who do you want telling those of you what to do? I have absolutely no more experience to dictate orders to manufacturers than I do to soldiers. Why must the government dictate our professional role to us? Who should do it? Those of us who have only an education or those of us who have an education in the field we spealize in, with the experience?????

Big government sticking their noses into business they know nothing about, except what they hear from their lobbiest and the public (who obviously have walked 20 years in my shoes), need to walk a day in those shoes. When their shoes are worn bare and they're tired at the end of the day and still do not sleep, because thy are worried that they could have done something else to help the 'one', then I'll be ready to listen. Until then, let the professionals who do the job, do the job.
Post Wed May 28, 2008 7:58 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
For Administrators, these children are statistics, they are test scores, they are grant and funding and free lunch and free tutoring and free everything else you can think of to include.

Nicely said. I couldn't have added or taken anything away from that statement.
Post Thu May 29, 2008 10:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Flint needs a Robert Bobb, like the new state appointed emergency financial manager for Detroit Public Schools. Flint Public Schools cannot govern itself or be transparent. Flint needs a system that truly educates it's students. If Governor Granholm does appoint a financial manager hopefully he or she will have the forsight to employ an Inspector General to root out fraud and waste. According to national statistics Flint schools graduate less than 50 percent of it students, this is unexceptable.
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:15 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Flint schools graduate 33 percent of its students. This is miserable.,

SQUASH, What don't you understand? about my statement?

I'll be more than happy to explain in detail.
quote:
Unions never protect bad teachers. Administrations and Management fail to do their jobs properly allowing for good representation by UNions winning the argument.

Maybe I should have said it like this.

Is it the defense attorney's fault when the criminal get's off because police didn't follow constitutional procedures?

School administrators spend way way too much time trying o figure out how to get more money out of the government than they do managing their schools!

Points to Ponder...

Does Flint schools use the same text books as Carman-Ainsworth, Grand Blanc, Swartz Creek, etc?

Do administrators take the easy way out when Parents don't show up for Parent Teacher Conferences? Or do they look at it as a minor obsticle and find other ways to get parents into the school so they can meet with them about their Children? Like hosting Bingo on Saturday?

Is the main response by the Administration "We can't do that" Or is it lets give it a try and do our best to make it work?
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:35 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: