FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint High School in Top 100 Schools in Nation.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
squash
F L I N T O I D

IA and Sabis, IA's parent company, have their detractors. In fact this website is dedicated to them:

http://sabisstinks.wordpress.com/2009/03/01/supporting-articles/

While showering all this praise and bashing Flint teachers please do not forget that IA exists to turn a profit. Education profiteers, if you will. They are not obligated to provide transportation. While they are required by law to not discriminate on the basis of race, ability, SES, etc. their are ways to "encourage" unwanted students to return to trad. public school. No Adam, charters do not get less. They do however incur some "administrative" fees that public schools do not.
Charter schools are not the problem though. We must do better. Sometimes we deserve the criticism, but to compare is unfair.
I would agree with Candidate Ford's comments, but would also include "more dedicated parents" as well.
Dave, do you have anything positive to say about anything? Save firearms of course.
Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:03 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave, do you have anything positive to say about anything? Save firearms of course.

I believe Dave likes fast cars also.
Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:05 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Of course I do.

I'm positive that if my kids were school age, they wouldn't be in the FPS. When I see a paper a girl down the street did for Sophomore English at Northern with no capital letters, no paragraphs, and no punctuation with an "A" on it, there's something wrong with the FPS.

I'm positive that everyone on our block will work together & make it look even better than it did last year.

I'm positive that our car is dark blue, with Police Interceptor decals on it.

I'm positive that the guy I watched jumpering his power after Consumers removed the meter almost s**t his pants when he tried to do it with the main breaker on & got that loud boom, spectacular shower of sparks & cloud of smoke.

I'm positive he didn't hear me laughing.

I'm positive that if there was a NHRA sanctioned drag strip in this area with an NHRA regional, or National event, the attendance would be huge. Chevy in the hole is not the place, though. You need at least a 1/2 mile, and preferably 3/4 mile shut down area. 300mph nitro cars need that much.

I'm positive that too many people that have handguns never practice with them.

I'm positive that the Flint Police department is sorely undermanned and any further reductions will border on criminal.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

The Flint teachers union seems to doing about as good as GM at saving jobs. Although some Flint teachers may not be very good my sense is the main problem lies in the bloated overpaid administration. Flint also has more challenges than other districts but when you have to pay so many 100 k salaries it's hard to bring in the necessary resources to meet all those challenges. I'd rather fire some 100 k admins and bring in 3 or 4 parent facilitators for the same price.
Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:35 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

FCS admin will roll out the budget plan to Board on March 24 at 6pm. Meeting on March 26th where board members will ask questions of admin and discuss proposal with each other.

It is very interesting that this year they will do this in an open meeting. In previous years they did this in small group meetings (closed door) then unveiled it to the public.

So the public and board will all get first sight of the proposed budget at the same time.(I think this is a good thing less closed door politics)

There may be very limited opportunity for public comment on the 24th and 26th. The first meeting is for us and the board to hear what is being proposed, the second meeting is so the board can discuss it.

I think is is good for the public to hear what the board thinks about the admin proposal before commenting. The board may very well tell admin the plan sucks and go back to the drawing board.

I go to board meetings to hear the board rather than public comments droning on... many not knowing of what they speak.

After the public hears what is proposed and what the board thinks, we will have until June 30th to comment. Even if the board adopts the budget they can make changes up until that time.

I am glad the board chose to do this in a very open manner rather than the back door politics of past boards.

Peace,
RAP

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 pm 
nhsmember91
F L I N T O I D

Ok, when you say students that don't fit into IAF have to go back to FCS because they accept all... our school CAN NOT turn students away. You merely have to take a basic skills placement test. Even if the student was expelled from a FCS you can attend our school during the same year as your expulsion. It is in no way a "private" school and our state funding is alot lower than a comunity school. The teachers are not unionized, and their pay is alot lower than a teacher in a union in the FCS. Our teachers tend to be young and enthusiastic about teaching. My personal experience with older teachers is that they loose their enthusiasm about teaching but are instead more focused on the paycheck. During my many years in FCS that was all I had, older teachers whom were unenthusiastic and didn't expect much from their students. Just as in any other schools we have our share of problem students but it's the teachers influence that helps them get back on track. Maybe the lack of enthusiastic, motivated teachers is where the problem lies in the FCS.

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:35 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: