FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint High School in Top 100 Schools in Nation.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Flint's International Academy charter school recognized as one of 100 best in nation by U.S. News & World Report
by Kristin Longley | The Flint Journal
Wednesday December 10, 2008, 4:10 PM
FLINT, Michigan The International Academy of Flint charter school was recognized for the second consecutive year by U.S. News & World Report as being among the 100 best high schools in the nation.

The magazine analyzed 21,069 public high schools in 48 states for its 2009 high school rankings and recognized the best schools with gold, silver and bronze medal status. International Academy received a bronze medal.

The purpose of the magazine's analysis is to determine "how well high schools serve all students, not just those that perform at the top of their class," according to Central Michigan University's Center for Charter Schools, which authorized International Academy.

The school has about 1,070 students in grades K-12.

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

just 3 days ago i talked to a lady who took her child out of whittier and enrolled him into that school....she is quite impressed. i really wish the FS
would do whatever is needed to become relevant again. that makes me
sad. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:27 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I agree with you BA, we need to do whatever it takes to make our schools to be within the top 100 ...

quote:
back again schreef:
just 3 days ago i talked to a lady who took her child out of whittier and enrolled him into that school....she is quite impressed. i really wish the FS
would do whatever is needed to become relevant again. that makes me
sad. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

To be honest..

International had what... 10 kids in last years graduating class.

Out of 1000 or so kids most are elementary age.

They do have a great program at INT. but lets compare apples with apples.

Peace,
RAP

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:28 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

RAP, I don't see any Flint Schools, big or small, 1st grade or 12th grade in any magazines about being QUALITY. So this is a big accomplishment!

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
To be honest..

Peace,
RAP

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:26 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

i didn't know that rap...that does make a comparison a wee bit difficult, actually unfair. i must say i do have hope for MY school system. i also know that for a good 80+ years the flint school system has done a great job with my family. Wink
Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:03 pm 
nhsmember91
F L I N T O I D

first i would like to say i am a senior at internatioanl academy of flint. secondly we do currently have 21 students in the graduating class of 2009... but for people to say that just because we have such a small number of highschoolers that it makes it unfair for us to be compared to other school, i think that is unfair in its self. i have been attending this school for 7 years... the first year it was open was my first year... and everyone of my classmates have been here about that time also. i attended central and this school is a big difference. the students actually come to learn, they have school pride, and we have one of the highest test scores in the city. 100% of our seniors are accepted to college... at our school you have to be accepted to a college to even graduate... what other highschool does that?!? so this makes me think... is it the size or quality that really matters?

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:57 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

NHS
It's great that you chimed in to defend your school. I'm glad that you have found a place that suits your needs. I'm a public school teacher in Flint and I understand your frustration. Still I believe that a quality public education should be available to all. In a perfect world charter schools would make traditional public schools better, but that has not been my experience.

Just a suggestion: Make your English teacher proud. Use some capital letters. Don't overuse the elipsis.

Good Luck.
Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:47 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Still I believe that a quality public education should be available to all.

Is their an area where thats not available??
Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:27 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Wasn't it you that said make the best of what you got?
Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:01 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

How ya doing Squash?? Very Happy
Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:39 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

good point squash....public schools have to enroll all students regardless of financial considerations, family support and past grades. i guess this is a case of apples and oranges. Crying or Very sad

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:48 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
nhsmember91 schreef:
first i would like to say i am a senior at internatioanl academy of flint. secondly we do currently have 21 students in the graduating class of 2009... but for people to say that just because we have such a small number of highschoolers that it makes it unfair for us to be compared to other school, i think that is unfair in its self. i have been attending this school for 7 years... the first year it was open was my first year... and everyone of my classmates have been here about that time also. i attended central and this school is a big difference. the students actually come to learn, they have school pride, and we have one of the highest test scores in the city. 100% of our seniors are accepted to college... at our school you have to be accepted to a college to even graduate... what other highschool does that?!? so this makes me think... is it the size or quality that really matters?

Hooray, that you as a student value education and your graduating class has doubled. Please keep your focus through college and meet goals you set for your self.
I did not mean to discount the apples that grow on the tree at International Academy. The young people that want to learn and the parents or guardians that support them.

I am just sad that the climate is poor for many of the oranges at Flint Community Schools. They have many ripe, sweet apples too and Oh... How they shine!

Just wish all the fruit flowering on our trees could blossom and come to fruition. see the drop out rate...will they rot on the ground?

Kids that do not fit in at International are kicked back to FCS and added to the numbers there. FCS has to accept all.

So No, the comparison is not fair.

Peace,
RAP

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:07 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
To be honest..

Peace,
RAP

Even when you take into account the "more dedicated students" my understanding is International Academy resurrected their building while FPS has failed at restoring their buildings. Don't charter schools also get less money than public schools? I wouldn't be surprise if IA is also better ran and has much better customer service.
Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:52 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

IA seems to exist for the students, while FPS exists for the administration and the teachers union.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: