FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Witherbee's

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Anyone heard anyhting about the progress of Witherbee's Market? I drove by it a few weeks ago and it didnt seem too different. So if anyone knows of the progress up to now, please comment.
Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:01 pm 
MichaelFreeman
F L I N T O I D

Hello Munn, I have been working with this project and can give some accurate information on progress to date (I have noticed a few postings in here that are a little off, so doing this will hopefully help).

This project is being developed by a local nonprofit called Flint NIPP, INC. Initially, the project was promoted by local residents, but was turned over to be developed by a nonprofit due to an increase in project costs as the market analysis determined that downtown required more than an enhanced convenience store. They will own 100% of the facility, which will be leased out to the operator. If the project is sold to the operator, any grant support will be recaptured in the sale of the building.

The project will be the development of a 10,000 sq. ft. grocery facility on the corner of ML King and University Ave. The management will be facilitated by an operator with significant experience in this area and statewide. The operator was chosen by a competitive Request for Qualification Process. This project has employed expertise from national grocery retail consultants, financial/accounting, architectural, management, etc. – all of whom feel that the project is conservative and will fit well with complimentary investments that are taking place in downtown and Flint’s neighborhoods.

All construction sources are now approved and in place. This construction was not heavily funded with grants as there are a number of federal and state tax credits available for redevelopment in the area (MBT, Historic, etc.).

Upon environmental review of the project, it was determined that the site maintained gas tanks from its use as a Goodyear Station in the 1950's. These tanks were removed with assistance from the EPA and now the site is environmentally clean.

The current status of the project is as follows:

-The construction/project manager has been hired and is preparing for construction.
-The architectural plans are being finalized and the sub-contractors are preparing their work plans/final cost sheets.
- Permanent financing sources (commercial lending) are being finalized for take out of construction financing sources at close of construction.
-The architect is seeking approval from the Building and Safety Division of the City of Flint.
-The operator is preparing their plans for opening and ongoing management.

Admittedly, this project has experienced delays, and it is no longer necessary to discuss the primary delay as this obstacle no longer exists. On a positive note, why delays can lead to skepticism, this has provided all parties with additional time to plan, organize, and ensure the project does not fail (which Flint really does not need at this point). Suffice to say, the project is back on track and all involved look forward to creating a critical commercial amenity for Flint’s neighborhoods.

I hope being completely transparent encourages people that change is coming – and that this is a positive for our city.

Thanks for listening.
Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:15 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

I don't think a small grocery is the best option, we need a bigger chain to keep prices down.
Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:24 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

it is all about who is willing to open up downtown. I think that as long as the living spaces downtown are filled up, people will pay for the convenience of having a market within walking distance. of course, I'm sure a VGs or Kroger or Bueches would be welcome downtown if they were willing to invest in the space, but as far as I've heard, no such luck. maybe someday soon.

Hopefully, the "new urbanism" will encourage businesses of all kinds, local and chain businesses, to move into existing downtown buildings and adaptively reusing, since the trend in larger cities seems to be moving away from box stores and car-centric culture and returning to a walkable society

at least according to my settlement geography instructor...
Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:34 am 
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

Thanks for the update Michael! I can't wait for the store to open.

Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

When will this store be opening?
Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:45 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: