FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Like we couldnt see this coming.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
UncleEffort
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
I don't think I should need a license (permission) to get married

On the surface marriage licenses do seem a bit ridiculous; but they are legal contracts. Maybe all that should be necessary to get married could be a plain old contract that's been notarized and filed with a county clerk.

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:49 pm 
UncleEffort
F L I N T O I D

quote:
pan8 schreef:

I don't care what two adults do in the privacy of their bedrooms, it is none of my business but don't try and change an institution and that has been around for a thousand plus years. Please remember the gays are a minority and should not force the majority to accept their behavior. And please don't bring up the civil right marches of the '60s, not the same thing.

Pan8

Too bad, gay marriage is coming soon to a neighborhood near you. But don't worry, you won't be required to like it. You won't even be required to marry a man if you don't want to.

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:54 pm 
publius
F L I N T O I D

[quote="pan8"]
quote:
andi03 schreef:
Pan...everyone is going to offend anyone anymore. Smile

WHAT YOU SAID, WHY, WHY THAT OFFENDS ME!! Very Happy

I don't care what two adults do in the privacy of their bedrooms, it is none of my business but don't try and change an institution and that has been around for a thousand plus years. Please remember the gays are a minority and should not force the majority to accept their behavior. And please don't bring up the civil right marches of the '60s, not the same thing.

Why not? It seems to me that conservatives have never been right about ANY civil rights issue. They were wrong about slavery, wrong about women's rights, wrong about Jim Crow, and (now) wrong about gays. Can you name a single instance when conservatives were right about a civil rights issue? Our nation's history is filled with instances when the "majority" was wrong about what rights the minority should have. Thankfully, we have a political creed laid out in the Declaration of Independence ("All men are created equal...") that eventually defeats the conservatives every time.

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:41 pm 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

Publius-
"Why not? It seems to me that conservatives have never been right about ANY civil rights issue. They were wrong about slavery, wrong about women's rights, wrong about Jim Crow, and (now) wrong about gays."

I disagree with this comment. As I recall Abe Lincoln was a republican. He was the responsible for freeing the slaves. With the whole Jim Crow thing, everyone praises that LBJ was the first to include minorites in his rescue plan. This plan included the welfare we are currently using. I agree he was a Democrat. What people fail to realize is that the house and senate were lead by the Republican Party. So his plan would have gone nowhere if the conservatives didn't agree with his plan.

I just named two instances were republicans assisted in the civil rights issue.

As a "conservative" I don't agree with homosexuality. Does this mean I think they should be bashed? No, it doesn't. I don't feel they should be made a minority and protected under the discrimmanation (sp?) laws though. It would be hard to prove who is gay and who isn't. On the other hand, I don't feel that they shouldn't be allowed to be married. They are given this right as american. The same rights that let me carry my guns. I just had to remind you that I am a conservative. Laughing

I think every state should have the right to decide if it is legal or not, to be married as a homosexual. I don't feel that the Federal Government has the right to decide this issue for us.

Ok stepping off the soap box Wink

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:31 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
UncleEffort schreef:
quote:
pan8 schreef:

Pan8

Too bad, gay marriage is coming soon to a neighborhood near you. But don't worry, you won't be required to like it. You won't even be required to marry a man if you don't want to.

Already got one down the street. Very nice ladies with polite kids.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
pan8
F L I N T O I D

[quote="publius"]
quote:
pan8 schreef:
quote:
andi03 schreef:
Pan...everyone is going to offend anyone anymore. Smile

WHAT YOU SAID, WHY, WHY THAT OFFENDS ME!! Very Happy

Why not? It seems to me that conservatives have never been right about ANY civil rights issue. They were wrong about slavery, wrong about women's rights, wrong about Jim Crow, and (now) wrong about gays. Can you name a single instance when conservatives were right about a civil rights issue? Our nation's history is filled with instances when the "majority" was wrong about what rights the minority should have. Thankfully, we have a political creed laid out in the Declaration of Independence ("All men are created equal...") that eventually defeats the conservatives every time.

Sorry, check you facts that is if you went to school. The republicans and the party of Lincoln freed the slaves. Need more proof? The original racists were the Dixiecrats i.e. Gov. Wallace, Sen. Byrd, the KKK was formed to counter the republican base. President Bush 43 has sent more money to Africa than any other president. I can go on if you like.

Again, I don't care what gays do, just don't do it in front of me and please don't liken gay rights to the civil rights movement on the '60s.

Pan8
Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:41 am 
UncleEffort
F L I N T O I D

quote:
pan8 schreef:
The original racists were the Dixiecrats i.e. Gov. Wallace, Sen. Byrd, the KKK was formed to counter the republican base. President Bush 43 has sent more money to Africa than any other president. I can go on if you like.

What a crock the KKK was around long before Wallace and Byrd. Southern Republicans didn't support the 1964 Civil Rights Act anymore then Southern Democrats. If states rights were upheld back in 1960's and onward there would still be segregation in the South today.

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:04 pm 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

quote:
UncleEffort schreef:
quote:
pan8 schreef:
The original racists were the Dixiecrats i.e. Gov. Wallace, Sen. Byrd, the KKK was formed to counter the republican base. President Bush 43 has sent more money to Africa than any other president. I can go on if you like.

What a crock the KKK was around long before Wallace and Byrd. Southern Republicans didn't support the 1964 Civil Rights Act anymore then Southern Democrats. If states rights were upheld back in 1960's and onward there would still be segregation in the South today.

I can understand you not knowing the facts should you have gone to public school. The KKK was formed in the days following the civil war as opposition to Republican State Governments.

The facts don't lie and the fact is the Demon-crats were the original racists. Have you heard of the Dixiecrats? They sure as hell were not Republicans! If not then again I say, check the facts.

Pan8
Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:11 pm 
UncleEffort
F L I N T O I D

quote:
pan8 schreef:

I can understand you not knowing the facts should you have gone to public school. The KKK was formed in the days following the civil war as opposition to Republican State Governments.

The facts don't lie and the fact is the Demon-crats were the original racists. Have you heard of the Dixiecrats? They sure as hell were not Republicans! If not then again I say, check the facts.

Pan8

Somehow I'm not surprised that you know a lot about the KKK. Very Happy Was "History of the KKK" an elective at your school or was it a required class?

I especially enjoyed your conclusion that since the KKK opposed the reconstruction, ergo they must be Democrats. An astonishing leap of logic I must say. Certainly the Dixiecrats were a bunch of racists, but one things for sure. In 1960's Dixiecrats, for the most part, became Republicans.

Here's a question for you. Name one Southern Republican Senator that supported the 1964 Civil Rights Act?

Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:41 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

regarding gays & lesbians. when i was a kid there was a couple who lived down the street. two women, one white one black. they were the sweetest women. always nice to us kids. never once did they show anything but love (as a mother to a child) to us. this was almost 50 years ago. one has passed on and the other's mother came to her home to pass. i took fresh flowers for her to put in her mothers room. she told me right before her mother passed, she awoke from her coma and said the flowers smelled beautiful. she still lives there and is a great lady.

i grew up with a guy who was gay. i once asked him when in life he knew he was gay and he told me he had always known. in school, he was the only guy in the school who had the power to totally disrupt the class with his humor. the teacher would laugh so hard he'd cry. this guy, my friend, had a heart of gold that had been conditioned to reflect ignorant taunts. he eventually left flint and went to california to live his life in peace. he passed away probably 15 years ago, happy with the life he eventually learned to love. neither of these people, if there is a god, and there is, had to explain or deny ANYTHING to god that fateful day.
Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:47 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

[quote="UncleEffort"]
quote:
pan8 schreef:

Here's a question for you. Name one Southern Republican Senator that supported the 1964 Civil Rights Act?

100% of the southern Republican Senator voted against it. His name was John Tower of Texas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964#By_party
Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:27 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well heres the biblical take on the whole issue of Homosexual actvity. I suppose you can spin it any way ya want.

Lev 18:22-23 "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination." Lev 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death." 1 Cor 6:9 "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals" 1 Tim 1:9-10 "realizing the fact that (civil) law is not made for a righteous man, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers" Rom 1:26-27 "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error."

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:32 am 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

quote:
UncleEffort schreef:
quote:
pan8 schreef:

Pan8

Somehow I'm not surprised that you know a lot about the KKK. Very Happy Was "History of the KKK" an elective at your school or was it a required class?

I especially enjoyed your conclusion that since the KKK opposed the reconstruction, ergo they must be Democrats. An astonishing leap of logic I must say. Certainly the Dixiecrats were a bunch of racists, but one things for sure. In 1960's Dixiecrats, for the most part, became Republicans.

By and large the southern Demon-crats voted against the bill and it would not have passed without republicans voting for the it. I do know the southern demoncrats held the bill up in committee, all that is old news now. Who on slick willlie's cabinet were african americans and who on bush's cabinet were african americans? Oh yeah, I almost forgot slick will the "first black president." Give me a break. Laughing

You know nothing of me or my back ground so how can you state I have any affiliation with the KKK? I simply used them to illustrate that the southern demoncrates were the original racist party. Again the KKK formed post civil war as a counter weight to the Republican states government.

Now lets see, who voted for and who voted against the confirmation of Justice Clarence Thomas?

Pan8
Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:46 am 
UncleEffort
F L I N T O I D

quote:
pan8 schreef:
By and large the southern Demon-crats voted against the bill and it would not have passed without republicans voting for the it. I do know the southern demoncrats held the bill up in committee, all that is old news now.

I going to agree with you that the Republicans who voted for the Civil Rights Act are a credit to their party. It's pretty clear that the Act passed not on party lines but regional lines. It think that it was a good thing, in the long term, that the South abandoned the Democrats. They were dead-weight on the party.

quote:
Again the KKK formed post civil war as a counter weight to the Republican states government.

Again it was a North/South thing.

quote:
Now lets see, who voted for and who voted against the confirmation of Justice Clarence Thomas?

Are you saying that you only support Justice Thomas because he's black?

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:58 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I believe Justice Thomas aint "black enough" at least thats what we kept hearing. Those protesting against him would have much preferred someone like Ludicrious or maybe 50cent. Laughing

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:39 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: