FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Beggin for Money Again!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Dear Friends,

Effective this Sunday night, Don Williamson has resigned as mayor of Flint and there will be a vacancy in the mayor's office in Flint. On Monday morning, the doors of the campaign office will open and we will again start working for change.

Here we are, on the verge of a great endeavor again. There are a number of steps in the process, including collecting petition signatures to get on the ballot, and then running in a primary and a general election on a compressed timeline. We will report on the details next week of what we will be doing at each step of the journey.

I hope I can count on you to be with me again. We need to get our office setup, stock the shelves with supplies, and purchase print materials. Please make a contribution through paypal by visiting our updated website.

I just have to tell you how incredibly excited I am about this fresh start for Flint. We now have another chance to lead Flint in a new direction and make real positive change for all of Flint's families and children.

My immediate goal is to raise $10,000 in the next 10 days so that our team has everything they need to get going full force on a citywide scale. You can make a contribution online with a credit card.

As always, thank you for your friendship and support. I'll keep you updated as we move forward in the coming days and weeks.

Sincerely,

P.S. You can also send a check to: Friends of Dayne Walling, PO Box 937, Flint, MI 48501.

P.S.S. By Michigan law, each individual can contribute up to $1,000 per election cycle. A new cycle started the day after the election in 2007. Please contribute as much as you can today.
Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:30 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Walling has no chance, all his old suppoerters now support Michael Brown.
Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:29 pm 
torgohugo
F L I N T O I D

How can you answer your own post with something completely contrary? Do you, or don’t you believe Walling can win this election? Please let us know

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:51 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

That was an email Walling sent out.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:28 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Do you, or don’t you believe Walling can win this election?

Of course he can with your Dollars and votes especially those dollars, You on board???? Laughing

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:16 am 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

People like The Mott Family, Kildees,Uptown peoples all support Michael Brown for mayor

quote:
torgohugo schreef:
How can you answer your own post with something completely contrary? Do you, or don’t you believe Walling can win this election? Please let us know
Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:17 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Good reason not to support him. These are the people that think the North & east sides are not worth bothering with.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

well....i remember going to whittier and playing mott football. sometimes after school i'd see mr.mott driving his corvair down court street. i have to say my memory still has a soft spot for the motts. the kildees as far as i can remember have always performed well for average citizens in flint, in addition to dan being simply a nice charitable guy. with all my respect for the aforementioned, i will need to see something of young mr. walling before he gets my vote. i will also say, as a black guy, walling standing and receiving endorsements from some local "notable" blacks will do absolutely nothing for me. we shall see.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:32 pm 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

Dave,

Do you agree that the rebuilding of the downtown area will benefit all of the areas of Flint. I think if they make the downtown area nice it will bleed over into the eastside and the northside. Where do you think they should start? I'm not sure if you are against the downtown area being rebuilt or not. The way I see it every part of this town is hurting in a bad way. I don't care where they start as long as they start doing something. We need to establish a tax base to provide money for improvement projects. I do agree that the north end is often ignored. So I'm not one of those forget about the north end people, just to let you know.

Didn't Lakewomen support Walling? Brown stated he wasn't going to run for Mayor. I can't see a politician going back on what they said Laughing Laughing I also think Buchanan is going to make a run for it.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:13 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
seek4truth schreef:
Dave,

Do you agree that the rebuilding of the downtown area will benefit all of the areas of Flint. I think if they make the downtown area nice it will bleed over into the eastside and the northside. Where do you think they should start? I'm not sure if you are against the downtown area being rebuilt or not. The way I see it every part of this town is hurting in a bad way. I don't care where they start as long as they start doing something. We need to establish a tax base to provide money for improvement projects. I do agree that the north end is often ignored. So I'm not one of those forget about the north end people, just to let you know.

Didn't Lakewomen support Walling? Brown stated he wasn't going to run for Mayor. I can't see a politician going back on what they said Laughing Laughing I also think Buchanan is going to make a run for it.

Sorry to butt in but doing business in Flint can be very difficult. I think making it easier to bring jobs to Flint would be better than waiting on the Mott Foundation's dollars to trickle on over. Besides I'm sure a lot of the people the Mott foundation hires probably don't even live in Flint. Flint has a tendency to F*** over real business owners like Kumar (Genesee Towers) in favor of who the Mott foundation and the real people who run Flint want.

On a more realistic note Flint appears to be representative of politics in America anyways. It's mainly about special interests. The Uptown six have done a great job of focusing city county state and Federal resources on downtown while shuttering down the competition. (Kumar)

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:59 pm 
AfricanHunter
F L I N T O I D

Revitalizing the Flint downtown area is likely the last single thing to be done.
I believe it was Churchill that said, “Those who do not learn from history are condemned to relive it ... Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it”. Well, we have spent millions on our center city in the past and the results, the returns on investment, had been marginal at best. Been there, done that, we have bigger, more pressing concerns. An aging and broken infrastructure, sky high crime, a roughly $10 million deficit, no jobs, no new business, no trust in leadership (no real leadership at all), and a former administration and city council that preferred to spend taxpayer monies in litigation instead of city needs. (and many of those wish to be mayor!?!?) I could go on, but by now I should have made my point. We must prioritize. I have read these forums and a few individuals seem to believe they already know who is going to run for mayor and who the victor will be. It may just be the right time for a non-politician type (dark horse) that really has the best interests of the community at heart. The field of candidates hasn't closed yet....More to come when the time is right.......

Overdue for a NEW face and NEW Direction. Our community has lost too much ground..We must draw a line in the sand NOW..and push back HARD! Our troubles are not insurmountable, like all travels, the cure begins with one foot in front of the other. United!
Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:53 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Downtown Flint is very important, you look any successful city and their core is healthy.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
AfricanHunter
F L I N T O I D

Sorry if I offended!
I didn"t say lets completely forget downtown, I said it's near last and we must prioritize.

By the way, wouldn't it make sence that a failing city would likely have a failing center and vise-versa as the latter has the revenue to spend and the former does not?

It would not make sense to spend much money downtown at this point when we can't even make our neighborhoods safe due to lack of police and fire staffing. Who would we be improving downtown for? Persons that dont feel safe in their city dont travel downtown to infuse monies into that local part of the economy. There may hardly be any residents left here. Runoff by crime you know.

The city is similar to a mid-evil castle under seige, when you are down to burning the furniture to stay warm......you dont start throwing it out over the walls.

Overdue for a NEW face and NEW Direction. Our community has lost too much ground..We must draw a line in the sand NOW..and push back HARD! Our troubles are not insurmountable, like all travels, the cure begins with one foot in front of the other. United!
Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:34 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
seek4truth schreef:
Dave,

I'm not against downtown. I am against every penny going into some areas while others are completely ignored. If even 10% of the money going to the "pet" areas would be spent in the rest of the city, it would be a huge improvement.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:44 pm 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

"If even 10% of the money going to the "pet" areas would be spent in the rest of the city, it would be a huge improvement."

I agree with you that the north end does get ignored...right now. I was talking to a buddy and this is how he described Flint. It kind of made sense so I will share some useless information with everyone. Urban area's usually start out successful, like Flint. The residents slowly start to move to the suburbs when the city becomes too crowded. When the cost of living gets to high in the suburbs you start to see a increase in buisness and people relocating to the city. I think this is what Flint is going through right now, at least I hope.

I think it is more important at this moment to rebuild downtown. At this moment downtown is fragile. We have the oppurtunity to cater to a whole new tax base. The college students. If we provide entertainment, shopping, and safety, our tax base will increase. This will provide more money to area's of Flint that need it. Not to mention if downtown becomes the jewel it once was people will start to move in that area. Once housing becomes unavailable they will slowly start to move as close as possible to the downtown area. I know I will get critized for this, but homeowners usually take better care of there property. Hopefully these homeowners will start to move north of the river and you will see the north end and east side start to improve without assistance from city hall.

The bottom line we need money to come in to be able to help the area's of Flint that need it.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:14 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: