FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Capitol Theatre

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

This would be a great project for downtown. A revitalized Capitol would definately bring people to downtown and would be a great benefit fot the university's music program.

UM-Flint may purchase part of downtown Capitol Theatre
School of Music needs a place to grow, and downtown Flint landmark could fit the need, administrators say

Music Department Chair Lois Alexander recalls a time conducting a music class with live instruments when a neighboring professor trying to give a test walked in mid-song, asking if they could be any quieter.

"No, no I can't!" she had said.

Alexander knew for the sake of the music program and other professors that use first-floor French Hall, they were going to need more space.

As a possible solution, the Capitol Theatre building at 104 East 2nd street has 30,000 square feet, three floors, and a 2,000-seat theatre. The building is currently home to an architectural firm, a temp service and a law office. There is also an H&R Block, an auto parts supplier, and The Flint Club. The building is currently two-thirds occupied, says General Manager Troy Farah, whose family runs a real-estate business from a sprawling office on the third floor.

The Capitol Theatre has hosted bands such as Slayer, Primus, Rage Against the Machine, Black Sabbath, R. Kelly, and Cyprus Hill. Starting early last year, UM-Flint has been exploring using the Capitol Theatre building for use by the School of Music.

Farah's family has owned the Capitol Theatre building for 30 years. He has been the general manager for 20 years. According to Farah, acoustic testing took place as early as January of last year, but testing was held up because of a funding problem, saying it was "stuck" until recently.

"We believe the University would be by far the best caretaker for the 'Capitol,'" said Farah, a University of Michigan alumnus. "I think it would be great for downtown; it's a win-win."

The feasibility study is being funded by the C.S. Mott Foundation for $48,000.

"The study is essential for a project of this size," said Joel Rash, who promoted and booked shows for the Capitol Theatre during the '90's and is now the leader of the Launch program at UM-Flint, via e-mail. "With the future of one of Flint's signature historic buildings at stake, the opportunity for UM-Flint to be involved is very promising."

The study will determine if it's cost effective to revamp the Flint landmark, or design and raise a new building.

The study is being done in preparation for the looming accreditation for UM-Flint's music program by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM), to happen in 2010. The studies occur every 10 years.

In the 1990 study, a "glaring deficiency" was found with rehearsal, storage, and performance space by the NASM.

"It has been going on by their records, for 20 years and the University hasn't addressed it," Alexander said.

To maintain its accreditation, UM-Flint has to have adequate performance and rehearsal space, says UM-Flint PR official Jennifer Hogan.

Currently the school of music has two rehearsal rooms on first floor French Hall and storage space.

"Storage is a problem here," Alexander said. "We're just cramped."

The School of Music currently uses the 420-seat UM-Flint Theatre for performances, which Alexander says has poor acoustics for orchestral music. UM-Flint's performances have also been hosted by local churches when space became an issue.

Should UM-Flint decide to use the Capitol, it could cost roughly between $25 million and $30 million, according to Assistant Vice Chancellor Bill Webb. The Capitol seats 2,000, but Alexander guesses 700 seats may be lost to make room for equipment and larger seats.

Alexander says they could use a rehearsal space at least 50 percent larger their space in French Hall, which is about 1,500 square feet. Alexander says students aware of the study are excited about the potential of the Capitol Theatre.

"They understand we have space issues," she said. "It's packed; you have to step over things."

Another reason for the study is a possible sharing of the new space with the Flint Symphony Orchestra and Flint Youth Symphony Orchestra. Both groups use the Whiting Auditorium for their performances. The Whiting costs about $12,000 per performance to book, and it is becoming cost-prohibitive for both orchestral groups.

Rash believes the Capitol needs an appropriate user.

"Exploring use by U-M is a great long-term solution," he said.

Farah says that if it proves feasible for UM-Flint to use the building, they would then "structure a deal," whether a sale or lease.

As far as reaccreditation for the music program in 2010, Alexander doesn't see any problem.

"It's going to bode well," she said.

Alexander sees the Capitol as a potential "hub" for performance activity and is excited about the music program having a permanent home to grow into.

"When you realize you've got a home, it makes a difference," she said.

Tim can be reached at
tijagiel@umflint.edu.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:32 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

The Capital Theatre needs a full blown historical restoration. Theatre buffs around the country know of the Capital Theatre and its a treasure that needs to be restored to its former glory, not scabbed togther.

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rusty
F L I N T O I D

When I was working at Flint Community Players, we talked to Troy about the possibility of buying the Capitol. Troy wanted about a million bucks for it.

We were like "YEAH!" Then we realized it would take about three million to fix it up...

Bad boiler, flooded bowling alley..

Needless to say, we didn't buy.

It was a great place for us to do Rocky Horror back in the day!
Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:22 am 
rusty
F L I N T O I D

That being said though, it would be great to see the Capitol fixed up and put to good use. I'm sure showing some second run flix or other artsy stuff for students in the area would be a big boon for downtown!
Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:24 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

If they restored that place properly, it would be a huge draw for downtown and a major investment in FLINT.

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

The Capitol Theater is on the state and national register, making it eligible for state and federal historic tax credits.

If the restorers or contracters could somehow get unpaid or cheap interns from EMU's historic preservation program or WMU's public history program to do preservation and restoration labor on the building, that might lower costs too.

I mean, I went to a required field school where I repointed mortar, reglazed windows, repaired clapboard siding, and fixed a collapsing basement, and I had to pay THEM! So I'm sure there are some suckers who would love to work on a building like the Capitol for nothing or nearly nothing...
Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:19 pm 
lofasz
F L I N T O I D

The Capitol Theatre was built in the late 20s.

The architect was originally born in Austria and was out of Chicago. His name was John Eberson. The Capitol Theatre is one of many "Atmospheric Theaters" that were built around the country.

The Capitol Theatre motif is a Mediterranean Garden. The ceiling is actually supposed to have clouds floating around. I think they used dry ice to create the effect.

It is indeed a work of art and needs to be restored. I had the pleasure of repainting the second floor ceiling back in 1988. We tried to use the rich colors that were in the original marquee back in the 20s.

It is only appropriate that UM may be involved. They saved the Michigan Theatre in Ann Arbor back in the 80s. It would be exciting to see the Capitol saved in Flint. She is quite the beautiful theatre.

Unfortunately, the economics of trying to run a theatre today make it near impossible to turn a profit. It needs some creative energy to find a solution to that problem.

The UM solution would be perfect for the Capitol. It has exactly what they need for a music school.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:38 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: