FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Bill introduced to repeal the 22nd amendment

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hj111-5

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Um...evidently the sponsors haven't perused the Federalist Papers or any of George Washington's letters........
Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:27 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Yikes that would be terrible!

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

But that way the "chosen one" could be president FOREVER. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:50 pm 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

Wow, thats nice. I guess George Washington didn't know anything. He was only the founding father of this nation. I think if the original drafters of the constitution, saw how the nation is acting today, they would vomit.

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:27 pm 
torgohugo
F L I N T O I D

I usually don't cut and paste, but this info is useful- shows you how difficult it might be to do this:

The Amendment Process

There are essentially two ways spelled out in the Constitution for how to propose an amendment. One has never been used.

The first method is for a bill to pass both houses of the legislature, by a two-thirds majority in each. Once the bill has passed both houses, it goes on to the states. This is the route taken by all current amendments. Because of some long outstanding amendments, such as the 27th, Congress will normally put a time limit (typically seven years) for the bill to be approved as an amendment (for example, see the 21st and 22nd).

The second method prescribed is for a Constitutional Convention to be called by two-thirds of the legislatures of the States, and for that Convention to propose one or more amendments. These amendments are then sent to the states to be approved by three-fourths of the legislatures or conventions. This route has never been taken, and there is discussion in political science circles about just how such a convention would be convened, and what kind of changes it would bring about.

Regardless of which of the two proposal routes is taken, the amendment must be ratified, or approved, by three-fourths of states. There are two ways to do this, too. The text of the amendment may specify whether the bill must be passed by the state legislatures or by a state convention. See the Ratification Convention Page for a discussion of the make up of a convention. Amendments are sent to the legislatures of the states by default. Only one amendment, the 21st, specified a convention. In any case, passage by the legislature or convention is by simple majority

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:45 pm 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
But that way the "chosen one" could be president FOREVER. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Hmmmmmmmmm, I thought Ronald Reagan had passed on!
Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:16 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Yup he has. hey did you see the poll that showed if his Highness Barack had run against Reagan he would have had his liberal ass sent packing back to Chicago. Laughing

Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:27 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: