FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Kerry Nelson Flint City Council
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
bigmouthconservative
F L I N T O I D

I noted some commentary on another site regarding this council person living in Grand Blanc. Sure enough I did some checking and he does indeed live there on MacClandish Road.

What gives?

How in the heck can he represent his ward and live in GB? Josh Freeman help me out here. What is the residency rule on being a council person? I would think you need to live in the ward you represent at the least!

Nelson is a Williamson puppet as demonstrated by his comments in the Flint Journal last night regarding Plante and Moran's comments regarding the budget deficit in the City of Flint.

Sounds like some photos of this hack council person at his GB abode may be in order!
Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:57 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

section 2-101 of the city charter states: Every elected city official and every candidate for elective office shall be a registered elector in the district he or she represents or seeks to represent.
(adopted by the electorate,, 11-5-74)

Also, if you check the County's web site, there is NO listing for the property he supposedly lives at.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
bigmouthconservative
F L I N T O I D

Okay, phone book shows it, anyway...city of Flint property records shows a home on Addsion is owned by him...Unpaid 2008 summer taxes and a water lein...Nice...
Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:26 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

0% Homestead credit too.
Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
section 2-101 of the city charter states: Every elected city official and every candidate for elective office shall be a registered elector in the district he or she represents or seeks to represent.

Also, if you check the County's web site, there is NO listing for the property he supposedly lives at.

Note that the requirement is not that you live in the Ward, merely that you are an elector of the Ward. Your voter registration must match what is on your drivers license in the State of Michigan.

When I ran for re-election in 2005, clearly, Sandy Hill did not live in the Ward. I had phone bills with her address at her apartment on Meade. She would give out her phone number on Meade at events as a contact. But, since she changed her license to a relatives on Maryland, it met the requirements of the Charter.
Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

****Sure enough I did some checking and he does indeed live there on MacClandish Road.****

Would appear that that's Atlas Twp., with GB mailing...If I am mistaken, please someone correct me. Smile
Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:51 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Wow.. This could be a big story, due we have facts that he does live there or just a name ( that happens to be his ) on a home in GB? We need proof!

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Can you provide proof BMC? Could it be he lives in Flint, but his dad has the same name? I think this would be huge if its true, but i heard in the past that Woodrow Stanley lived in Grand Blanc, and so did Scott Kincaid. All of them turned out to be untrue... Get some pictures and post on here BMC that would be AWESOME!

quote:
bigmouthconservative schreef:
I noted some commentary on another site regarding this council person living in Grand Blanc. Sure enough I did some checking and he does indeed live there on MacClandish Road.

What gives?

How in the heck can he represent his ward and live in GB? Josh Freeman help me out here. What is the residency rule on being a council person? I would think you need to live in the ward you represent at the least!

Nelson is a Williamson puppet as demonstrated by his comments in the Flint Journal last night regarding Plante and Moran's comments regarding the budget deficit in the City of Flint.

Sounds like some photos of this hack council person at his GB abode may be in order!

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Some of you folks are quick to criticize without knowing all the facts, or even doing enough homework to form a reasonable opinion.

1. Council members are elected in odd-numbered years and serve a four-year term commencing at 12 o'clock noon on the morning following the regular Council general election. Kerry Nelson was elected 11/08/2005 so his term will expire this year.

2. While true that Kerry Nelson is shown as owner of the Flint property on the City of Flint website with zero homestead exemption for 2008, there was a 100% homestead exemption for the year 2007. That indicates he must have moved during the year 2008.

3. Whitepages.com shows five listings for Kerry Nelson; obviously, they're not all Kerry L. Nelson, our 3rd Ward Councilman. Yes, Andi, there's a McCandlish Road address and phone number for Kerry Nelson (Atlas Township, Grand Blanc mailing); the listing date shows September 2008 which supports paragraph 2.

Do you all expect Kerry Nelson to resign his position immediately because he moved? It seems those of reasonable mind would have no objection to his finishing out his term.

It's no wonder qualified people aren't interested in running for office in this city!
Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:13 am 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

OOSL2,

I don't live in the Ward Nelson represents . I have an idea on what the residents, who do live there, are facing. On occasion I travel to his Ward to visit friends.

However, I do live on the East Side of Flint. I know exactly what the problems in my area are. I know this because I see them everyday I wake up. I jog, drive, and go for walks in my neighborhood. I can tell you every vacant house in my area. I could also tell you most of my neighbors names. I could even tell you what their complaints are. I see hazards that could be removed while I perform my daily routines, in my area. I know the lawns that need to be mowed, even in the winter. I can tell you what houses seem to attract criminal activity.

The point I am trying to make is, unless you live in an area, how can you know what the problems are? Nelson is supposed to do everything in his power to improve his Ward. Yet, he can't even live there? How does he receive information on the problem areas in his Ward? How many times have you called your council person? I haven't called mine one time. Since he lives in the same area as me, I trust that he also sees the problems in this area. I have seen him while on walks, and have addressed some issues I have though. Can the Third Ward say the same thing? Shouldn't they be able too?

To get to the real point... yes I do think he should resign. How can he fairly represent an area, he doesn't even live in? Can you tell me the problems that Clayton Twp. is facing. Just like Nelson, you probably can only address the problems that have been in the news, or have heard about.

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:06 am 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

Josh Freeman,

As you stated she met the requirments of the City Charter. However, she didn't meet the requirements of the Michigan State Law. It is illegal to fail to update your drivers license, when you move. Just a thought, would be kind of hard to prove it though.

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:13 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Josh, I would think that "in the district he or she represents or seeks to represent" would mean the person must live in that ward.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

Josh, I would think that "in the district he or she represents or seeks to represent" would mean the person must live in that ward.

Well Dave, while normal people would interpert that to mean you should probably live in the district, sometimes people in City Government are NOT considered 'normal'. It's easy to change your license, need little proof to do it.

Now, I have no clue as to where Mr. Nelson lives. And frankly could care less. Let the folks of the 3rd Ward fight that battle.

Last edited by Josh Freeman on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:29 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

[quote="00SL2"]
Do you all expect Kerry Nelson to resign his position immediately because he moved? It seems those of reasonable mind would have no objection to his finishing out his term. /quote]

Hmm, So one day He up and decided to buy a house outside the city?

Didn't think about it at all. Just slipped his mind he was a representative of Flint government?

Never once thought to make it public that he was moving?

Prepare the people he represents for his withdrawal from the city and the people he represents?

To do so would prove a level of incompetence and personal lack of conscience and judgment unfathomable to most hard working honest people.

So I am a bit suspect if this listing in Grand Blanc is really OUR Beloved Councilman Kerry Nelson.

It would just plain be ignorant to do something like that withouletin his ward know publically in a council meeting
Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Whats Kerry Nelsons address and phone # in Grand Blanc?

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:51 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: