FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: LAND BANK FLINT'S BIGGEST SLUM LORD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Is The Genesee County Land Bank Flint's Worst Slum Lord?
Yes, they have bitten off more than they can chew
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
No, they are just trying to take over all the property in Flint.
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
RECALL DAN KILDEE - Lets Clean Flint Up.
55%
 55%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 34

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

TV-12 got a tour of the Berridge, the units will rent for over $700 a month. Who in Flint will/can pay so much for rent across the street from Carriage Town Ministries, a homeless shelter. For $700 a month I'd rent out a spare bedroom with full house privileges, meals and laundry, to a well screened college student.

According to What's Up Downtown, "New Housing Targets Young Professionals and College Students." "The former Berridge Hotel, located one block west of the Durant Hotel, will be redeveloped into 20 affordable housing and commercial units while the adjacent Tinlin Building will be redeveloped into four apartment units. The Berridge Hotel is expected to be complete by the end of 2008."

Source: http://www.whatsupdowntown.com/
Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:32 pm 
she47
F L I N T O I D

The land Bank never anticipated having so many properties. However, they need to put together a plan to better take care of the properties they have. Development is needed and right now the trend appears to be towards rentals instead of purchasing homes. The City can not be reimbursed for taking care of these Land bank properties as the ordinances don't apply to them.
Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:56 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

I'll ask again, but I don't really expect a response:

quote:
What I'd like to know is why all of this cash Don the Con gives to "neighborhood watch groups" can't be spent on lawn maintenance.

What this really comes down to is that the Land Bank, like nearly every other government institution today, is underfunded. The irony is that so many of you talk spend your time complaining in other threads about how government can never possibly be the answer to any of our problems, yet you balk when the Land Bank can't settle their problems overnight.

These are facts:
1) The Land Bank has had to take over a lot more properties than it anticipated at its formation, because the increasingly worsening economy has drastically increased the number of abandoned homes.

2) Your mayor has done NOTHING to help.

3) The problem would be far worse if the Land Bank didn't exist.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:32 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
she47 schreef:
The City can not be reimbursed for taking care of these Land bank properties as the ordinances don't apply to them.

Kind of like the City not being able to collect on all of the privately owned lots that they mow. Because the Mayor imposes an emergency on mowing every year, the City is not able to assess the property owner per the ordinance. Rather than going through the proper procedure - posting the property - notifying the owner - then putting the costs on the property taxes - the taxpayers absorb the cost..... And we wonder why the City is in a deficit..... mis-management.
Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:
You guys complaining about the Land Bank have been saying the same things, talking in circles for months. What I'd like to know is why all of this cash Don the Con gives to "neighborhood watch groups" can't be spent on lawn maintenance.

Maybe it has something to do with the land bank rep's "we don't care about your area" attitude. I can't speak for what other block clubs do with the money they get, but our block club maintains the 3 empty houses on our block that have been empty for over 10 years. They are not land bank houses. I's like to see people putting "This is a land bank house" signs on all their rotting properties.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Dave....

These houses that you are taking care of.... are they Land Bank houses? I'm not clear from your post.... also... are these the houses that you were asking the lovely Land Bank lady about?
Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

She47 I totally agree with you, I don't think Dan Kildee and Friends are saying yes we are making Flint look bad, good job. I honestly believe they are overwhelmed and trying to get the most done they can. With that said, its not okay for them to keep getting properties and not able to maintain them. They need to come up with a plan so they can maintain all their properties.

quote:
she47 schreef:
The land Bank never anticipated having so many properties. However, they need to put together a plan to better take care of the properties they have. Development is needed and right now the trend appears to be towards rentals instead of purchasing homes. The City can not be reimbursed for taking care of these Land bank properties as the ordinances don't apply to them.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Why don't we all get together and create some ideas or plans how the landbank with other partners can tackle this problem? From the prople I have talked to and the results of the non scientific poll here, I can tell people are somewhat upset.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
Dave....

These houses that you are taking care of.... are they Land Bank houses? I'm not clear from your post.... also... are these the houses that you were asking the lovely Land Bank lady about?

No. The land bank houses I talked to them about were on the next block over from us. 3 on Proctor between Dayton & Hamilton, and one on W. Dartmouth. The one on Dartmouth, 208, was torn down down a couple weeks ago after being abandoned for over 14 years. It was on the "emergency" demolition list for over 2 years.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

DAVE,

Why don't we all get together and create some ideas or plans how the landbank with other partners can tackle this problem? From the prople I have talked to and the results of the non scientific poll here, I can tell people are somewhat upset.

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
Dave....

No. The land bank houses I talked to them about were on the next block over from us. 3 on Proctor between Dayton & Hamilton, and one on W. Dartmouth. The one on Dartmouth, 208, was torn down down a couple weeks ago after being abandoned for over 14 years. It was on the "emergency" demolition list for over 2 years.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:01 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

she47

quote:
she47 schreef:

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:02 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

ahhhhhhhh, youth.... go ryan go!!! Wink Wink Wink
Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:18 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:

What this really comes down to is that the Land Bank, like nearly every other government institution today, is underfunded. The irony is that so many of you talk spend your time complaining in other threads about how government can never possibly be the answer to any of our problems, yet you balk when the Land Bank can't settle their problems overnight.

These are facts:
1) The Land Bank has had to take over a lot more properties than it anticipated at its formation, because the increasingly worsening economy has drastically increased the number of abandoned homes.

We can "fix" some of these "underfunded" government programs by eliminatin some of them. I'm "balking" because the land bank appears to be causing more problems than it's solving.

1. The land bank should sell more properties and make it easier for people to buy its properties. Vacant properties are not an asset.

2. He has done some cleanups.

3. We would have far less vacant unowned properties if the land bank didn't exist.
Post Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:11 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Adam I know we can set up a system that brings all partners together, City of Flint, Genesee County, HomeOwners, youth, volunteers, State of Michigan, Land Bank etc. Then we can tackle this problem, however the land bank must work to get people who have the where with all to maintain or fix them up to be able to purchase them.

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:

These are facts:

We can "fix" some of these "underfunded" government programs by eliminatin some of them. I'm "balking" because the land bank appears to be causing more problems than it's solving.

1. The land bank should sell more properties and make it easier for people to buy its properties. Vacant properties are not an asset.

2. He has done some cleanups.

3. We would have far less vacant unowned properties if the land bank didn't exist.

Post Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:23 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

????????????????

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:04 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: