FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Bring Back The Ice Skating Rink Downtown!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

If you want people to come and stay downtown we need activities for them. I remember when people ice skated downtown during the winter at the Water Street Rink. Why not re open that and let people skate again?

Post Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

I agree Ryan. If they want the downtown region to really come back they need things to do other than eat. The skating rink brought people downtown before and with the booming size of UM-Flint and the new residence hall, there is always a need for more things to do downtown.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:40 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

thats a GREAT idea !!! Wink Wink
Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:06 pm 
Gumby
F L I N T O I D

I've alway thought that would be a great idea. Why don't you bring it up with people that can do something about it Ryan? You have a lot more clout than any of us on this forum. I bet the DDA would think this a good idea and jump at the chance. Problem is you gotta get the skate rental building back from the university (currently being used as an art studio) and buy some skates to rent out.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:13 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Gumby I don't have anymore clout than any of you guys on here! However I have been mentioning it to people and they say the insurance costs too much. I met with a group of students at U of M last week and brain stormed with them on how to go about opening up skating again. The students want it, but the University says it costs too much. I am glad to see so many people on here supporting such an idea!! I will let you know when I find out more..

quote:
Gumby schreef:
I've alway thought that would be a great idea. Why don't you bring it up with people that can do something about it Ryan? You have a lot more clout than any of us on this forum. I bet the DDA would think this a good idea and jump at the chance. Problem is you gotta get the skate rental building back from the university (currently being used as an art studio) and buy some skates to rent out.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Steve I think its important to bring small little things like that to our downtown. This will help not only retain people already down here, but attract more people to live, work, play etc. The reasons I keep getting are that the liability is too much. Thats hard for me to believe that, since the campus is so vast and big what additional cost would a rink for only a part of the year, for certain times cost?

quote:
munnbreslin schreef:
I agree Ryan. If they want the downtown region to really come back they need things to do other than eat. The skating rink brought people downtown before and with the booming size of UM-Flint and the new residence hall, there is always a need for more things to do downtown.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:41 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

There is a group of us that will be holding a meeting to get more people involved in trying to open the skating rink at the Pavillion first or second week in January. I will post on here when and where the meeting will be, since it will be open to everyone interested..

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:42 pm 
she47
F L I N T O I D

Check with the DDA as I believe they have control over the skating rink. But it may be U of M-Flint. I thought i heard vandals stole pipes and electrical wires throughout the River bank park. Have they been fixed.
Post Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:08 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
I met with a group of students at U of M last week and brain stormed with them on how to go about opening up skating again. The students want it, but the University says it costs too much.
UM-Flint students recently held a fundraiser, why not do it for this? If the students would use the rink--all the more reason. Where there's a will....
Post Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:32 pm 
she47
F L I N T O I D

Used to be able to ice skate at ballenger park, Next to the Armory on lewis and kearsley Park. Downtown is only the most recent to fold up.
Post Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:30 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
she47 schreef:
Used to be able to ice skate at ballenger park, Next to the Armory on lewis and kearsley Park. Downtown is only the most recent to fold up.

Also next to the swimming pool at Whaley Park.
Post Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
she47 schreef:

Iroquois Park, 2 at Forest park.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Mark Bonto
F L I N T O I D

quote:
she47 schreef:
Used to be able to ice skate at ballenger park, Next to the Armory on lewis and kearsley Park.

We used to go there all the time way back when! Skating to 70's songs, having weak ankles in skates, and constantly falling down on my butt. Ahh, what great memories!

Watch national award-winning “Comedy On Tap” Thursdays and Fridays at 8pm. Both on Comcast channel 17. Go to my website at: http://markbonto.com and listen to me, and see me live at The White Horse on the radio: Wednesdays 7-7:30am on WKUF 94.3 FM.
Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Sounds more like a pain in the ass Wink

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:23 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

See all this good conversation makes me think of how much Flinttoids use to use our park system that J. D. Dort gave to our city. People now don't use the parks or system we have. I would argue when cleaned up and polished we have one of the best park systems in the country!!

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:23 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: