FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Urban gardening
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rgillmi schreef:
I would love to find a lot or two on my end of the eastside and get a community garden going. There are many people over here that I think would grow their own food if they had the tools or a place to do it. If anyone knows who to talk to find vacant lots and garden on them, please let me know.

I'll contact the Land Bank tomorrow to see if there is anything around here.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
rgillmi
F L I N T O I D

Thanks Josh. I checked their website and found two vacant lots on our end of town. One is on Averil right in front of Potter and seems to be fenced in with the neighbors lot and the other one is on Branch and appears to be a parking lot. The Land Banks "adopt-a-lot" programs sounds like it would grant use of the land for a community garden, but it seems as though the neighbors are using them.

There is a house next to mine that has been empty for a couple of months now. I checked the cities website and it lists it as being owned by a mortgage company in California. The people left the house and yard trashed and it is already being vandalized. I want to get in touch with someone to get any necessary permissions to clean it up a bit and maintain the lawn and do some planting in the spring. Does anyone know who to contact about that? It needs to be as least boarded up and some of the stuff needs to be hauled away including a swimming pool that is no longer enclosed. The whole yard used to be fenced in, but when the family left, they took the fence with them. It is at the corner of Delaware and Branch, (2620 Branch). We have had officers out twice over the vandals and kids breaking in, but we are told there is nothing that can be done without a property owner being involved. The house doesn't even look livable anymore, I am personally hoping they will bulldoze it and sell it to me cheap, and we can put a community garden/mini-park there.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Welcome to my world. When I asked a land bank rep about 3 houses on the next block in that condition, i was told to do it myself. I'm thinking about making signs that say: "This is a land bank house" and putting them on those houses.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

I called the City about the property next to you (2620 Branch Rd).

The number that they have on file is for the Tax Department at Countrywide. They may be able to direct you to the person/company that is supposed to be maintaining the property for them. I've found in the past that even these large banks have local property managers.

The phone number that they gave me is 1-800-669-2329

Hope this is helpful.
Post Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Got this response from the Land Bank.... if you are interested email me and I can get you the contact info (freeman3727@sbcglobal.net)

"On the other question, we have at least five vacant lots in the area from Branch to Averill between Holly and Beechwood. One is a double lot at Risedorph off Curry. We’d be happy to talk to someone about an urban gardening project in the area. We would probably want to get some input from neighbors, but there are lots that may have potential."
Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:26 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Here is an article with a contact name, this person may be able to help you out so you can get some input.....worth a shot.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008812150342

"Given the amount of open land, I think there's a real opportunity for Detroit to provide a significant amount of its fruits and vegetables for its population and the surrounding area," said Mike Hamm, the C.S. Mott Chair of Sustainable Agriculture at MSU.
Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:45 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

A couple of my neighbors got in trouble for urban gardening, so beware! They got arrested they had 14 beautiful pot plants in their backyard. lol

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: