FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: LAND BANK FLINT'S BIGGEST SLUM LORD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Is The Genesee County Land Bank Flint's Worst Slum Lord?
Yes, they have bitten off more than they can chew
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
No, they are just trying to take over all the property in Flint.
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
RECALL DAN KILDEE - Lets Clean Flint Up.
55%
 55%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 34

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

[quote="Ryan Eashoo"]

The Land Bank Doesn't actually own the property, they have about a 5% interest in the property. They sold this property to the developer ( out of lansing ). The land bank at this point has very little money out of there pocket if any I bet.

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
[b]Right on Josh, The Durant Hotel fixed up and with 300 plus people in it ( not counting businesses on the first floor ) means more tax revenue for the city coffers! They need to renovate Genesee Towers next!![/b

Not for the City's Coffers... but for the Land Banks coffers.... I believe that when a Land Bank takes over a property and that property gets put back on the tax rolls... those taxes go to the Land Bank rather than the local unit of government.

Doesn't matter who the Land Bank sold the property too... they (the Land Bank) still realize the property tax revenue for any property that they owned and then sold for a certain number of years after it goes back on the tax rolls....
Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

http://www.thedurant.com/

OK She47 Please go to the land bank website and ask your question. The money used for the Durant project was for the Durant Project. There was no money that has been used on the Durant project that could have been used to tear down houses, to cut grass. If someone was giving you 500 dollars a month to buy food for your children and you were using it to buy a new car. Do you think whomever it was would still give you the money?

I can't make it any plainer than that.

THere is nothing going on with the durant that is keep the land bank from taking care of the rest of the overwhelming numbers of property's in the city of Flint. The kitty is just so big.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
she47
F L I N T O I D

ted I spoke to the interim director last summer and asked about work on demolishing houses in Flint. I was told there was no money and the Durant was budgeted for 2 years. There is only one basic pot of money for the land bank. Money put in the durant project can't be spent on fixing up houses or demolition or maintenance.
Every one who has a defined budget decides how to allocate their funds. The land bank decided the Durant was their priority.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:17 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
she47 schreef:
ted I spoke to the interim director last summer and asked about work on demolishing houses in Flint. I was told there was no money and the Durant was budgeted for 2 years. There is only one basic pot of money for the land bank. Money put in the durant project can't be spent on fixing up houses or demolition or maintenance.
Every one who has a defined budget decides how to allocate their funds. The land bank decided the Durant was their priority.

So what costs did the Land Bank incur from the Durant? Please be specific.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

THere is not one basic pot of money. You must be working for Don WIlliamson. He loves to take out money from the Water Department. Create ficticous job titles so he can pay his cronies. He does the Same thing with the Police Department. He pays one person as a Police officer using money out of the Police Budget. MONEY FOR THE POLICE DEPARTMENT and pays one of his Cronies (oops I mean aids).

Parks and rec has what 70 employees being paid from that accuont. Most do nothing for Parks and rec. We have taxes that are collected for Parks and Rec yet it doesn't go to parks and rec. Look. Not everyone is willing to violate the public trust and just take money from one area and throw it into another.

Did you go to that website and ask your question. Please and I do mean this seriously. Post your question and response back to this board. I'd love to see the answer.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Maybe the land bank big shots just don't care about certain parts of the city.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Gees o Pete. C'mon Dave. That's just ridiculous. And Completely unneccessary.

Plus, Your smart enough to know why it was begun in the first place.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:24 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Dave,

I am frustrated to believe me! There are a lot of HISTORICAL homes in Carriage Town that the land bank owns and the roofs are falling in. I understand they can only take care of so much, but they need to get more monies to maintain them as I am expected to maintain mine.

I don't believe the landbank is doing it on purpose, its just the sheer magnitude of properties they receive its hard for them to handle.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Well don't quote me on each exact cost, however I know they bought it for something like $200 - $250,000.00. I know they re sold the property to an East Lansing Developer (Karp & Associates.) who has lots of experience with Historical properties in Lansings "Old Town". They paid approx: $500,000 which basically covered all the landbanks costs on the property, acquisition, holding costs, pre development etc. I also believe the building is now owned by a Limited Liability Corporation. Monies for the rehab are private funding, donations from Ford & Mott Foundations, brownfield monies, historical tax credits and other non profits. Also, something to really point out is that this isn't a goverment rehab, a large portion of the rehab is private funding.

They came before the Flint historic district commission earlier this year and presented their plans. I think everyone will be really happy with the outcome of that.

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
quote:
she47 schreef:

So what costs did the Land Bank incur from the Durant? Please be specific.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:

Is it?
When I asked a land bank rep about 3 houses in the next block from us that have been unsecured & unmowed for 4 years she angrily told me to do it myself.
Why are the only houses in the 5th ward scheduled for demolition next year all in the area South of Welch Blvd?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:

Is it?
When I asked a land bank rep about 3 houses in the next block from us that have been unsecured & unmowed for 4 years she angrily told me to do it myself.
Why are the only houses in the 5th ward scheduled for demolition next year all in the area South of Welch Blvd?

Dave,

Do you know who does the demolitions for the Land Bank? The City of Flint does.

Do you know who determines which houses to demo? The City of Flint does.

Do you know who at the City of Flint decides which houses to demo? Mr. Carpenter does.

And do you know who tells Mr. Carpenter what to do? Mr. Williamson does.

Maybe you could ask Mr. Williamson why you can't get the houses a couple of doors down demolished.

Someone has been buying properties around the Hurley/Smith Village area in anticipation of redevelopment that is my guess on why the focus in the 5th Ward is in that area.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:39 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

In fairness to everyone here you can't just tear down an old house. There is a huge process to follow with many steps. Owners can appeal the process and get more time. ( which usually happens ). If the city deems a property a immeadiate threat to people, then it can't just go tear someones house down. It has to start the legal process! That can take a year sometimes, once thats done then they have to get a bid to tear it down.

Then they have to do enviromental, lead, asbestos etc. ( unless burnt down ). Then they have to take off utilities, water, sewer, gas, electric etc....

Its not just hey that house looks bad and has been standing there for 20 years like that lets tear it down. There is more to it than that....

Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:45 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Josh, Carpenter told a friend of ours that Carolyn gave him a list of houses in the 5th ward to be torn down next year - all in the area I mentioned.

Ryan, I know about the long process. A house on the block I grew up on was just torn down after being on the demo list for 14 years. There are 4 more on that block that have been abandoned for over 12 years. Three of the 4 are loaded with black mold - I've looked.

Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:07 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Josh, Carpenter told a friend of ours that Carolyn gave him a list of houses in the 5th ward to be torn down next year - all in the area I mentioned.

Ryan, I know about the long process. A house on the block I grew up on was just torn down after being on the demo list for 14 years. There are 4 more on that block that have been abandoned for over 12 years. Three of the 4 are loaded with black mold - I've looked.

Speaking only from my own experience, and knowing full well that Mr. Williamson has the same feelings for Ms. Sims that he holds for me, nothing I requested from the Administration ever happened (except 1 thing).

It is entirely possible that what you say did happen... I don't have first hand knowledge of that...

I would just take into account who your friend is... the relationship your friend has with Ms. Sims... the relationship your friend has with Mr. Williamson... and how any of their agendas may play a role in the information that they give out.....
Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:08 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Wow, You guys are talking about the very thing I have Jim Anninich on for my first show of 2009. ALready in the can just needs to be edited and the last 15 minutes filled. Look for it the first week of January. It'll be a good show. Talking about the CDBG dollors where the money goes and how to get it.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:30 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: