FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Durant Hotel moving forward...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Richard
F L I N T O I D

It is about time and exciting to see this finally happening. This should open the door to getting downtown Flint up and going again. Congrats!

Richard

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/10/longvacant_durant_hotel_in_fli.html
Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:47 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I have always pushed to have the Durant Hotel and Genesee Towers renovated. Those two buildings are important to downtown coming back to life. Now if they can save the Durant Hotel they can save the Gensee Towers. Lets put these buildings back on the tax rolls.

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

County Treasurer Daniel T. Kildee, deserves credit for this project.It is expected to be completed by this time next year.

My pictures from the event follow.
The guy in the stocking cap and tennis shoes is William White.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30366181@N05/sets/72157608449101396/show/

Terry Bankert

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

So exciting!!! From what I've heard and read the rents are going to be reasonable too. I can't wait to see it finished!

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

If I wasn't so darned adement that our next living space was going to be a house, and that our future children will have a yard to play in, I would LOVE to live in the Durant. I hope they will leave the historic fabric intact, and not COMPLETELY gut the place of anything historic.
Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:22 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
I have always pushed to have the Durant Hotel and Genesee Towers renovated. Those two buildings are important to downtown coming back to life. Now if they can save the Durant Hotel they can save the Gensee Towers. Lets put these buildings back on the tax rolls.

Ryan, Who was the final vote to demo the historical houses in the culteral center....

THAT WAS YOU!

RAP

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:24 am 
brianstarr
F L I N T O I D

yeah thats pretty typical of the landbank to keep pouring money into projects like the durant hotel as monuments to its self but yet they cant seem to be bothered with dealing with more of there abandoned rotting propertys in the neighborhoods something seems wrong with putting so much into downtown flint while the rest of the city surrounding downtown is being allowed to sit and rot I SAY FIX THE NEIGHBORHOODS FIRST AND THEN FOCUS ON DOWNTOWN
Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:34 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I agree lunchlady 110%, this is going to improve all of FLINT.

quote:
lunchlady schreef:
So exciting!!! From what I've heard and read the rents are going to be reasonable too. I can't wait to see it finished!

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:34 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Yeah?

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Ryan, Who was the final vote to demo the historical houses in the culteral center....

THAT WAS YOU!

RAP

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:35 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

yes, it would be nice if the houses in the neighborhoods could receive some attention, but the Durant needed to be saved, and now. It has sat empty for over thirty years! Longer than I have been alive. And it is in such a central spot of the downtown, and holds a lot of memories for older citizens of Flint.

If they do it right, it could be a huge step forward for preservation in Flint. That being said, is Uptown involved?
Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:39 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I couldn't agree more Tegan. Uptown is not involved with the Durant Hotel as far as I know.

quote:
Tegan schreef:
yes, it would be nice if the houses in the neighborhoods could receive some attention, but the Durant needed to be saved, and now. It has sat empty for over thirty years! Longer than I have been alive. And it is in such a central spot of the downtown, and holds a lot of memories for older citizens of Flint.

If they do it right, it could be a huge step forward for preservation in Flint. That being said, is Uptown involved?

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:39 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Yeah?

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

THAT WAS YOU!

RAP

Ryan says, "Yeah" like the beautiful house on the corner behind the music center meant nothing to the community?
Every time I visited the admin building or the library I loved to look at that house. So very quaint, so lovely. Replaced by a VERY pointless parking lot.

The genesee towers is an eyesore and if torn down and replaced would do great things for that area/street.

Your vote will long be remembered by a great many citizens in the city of Flint.
Your word has been gauged and found worthless.

RAP

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:23 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:

The genesee towers is an eyesore and if torn down and replaced would do great things for that area/street.

RAP

We need the jobs the Towers could hold.
Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:25 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

RAP the The Durant Hotel was an eysore for 30 + years but a great number of citizens from Flint found it important to save. Not only for historical reasons but others as well. If The Durant Hotel can be saved so can other local landmarks, beautiful or not.

[quote="rapunzel11"][quote="Ryan Eashoo"] Yeah?

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:

RAP

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:17 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Amen Adam, Preach it brother Preach it... That building could do so much renovated for downtown,

Saving the Genesee Towers is a no brainer on so many levels. Lets go over a couple....

1.) it takes a building that is apart of our city's skyline and makes it viable again and keeps in tact our beautiful skyline.

2.) It can provide over 300 parking spaces. ( which are built right into the building) So more parking spaces without tearing down buildings. It will be cheaper to renovate that parking structure than to rebuild.

3.) Tax Revenue: That building filled up with tennats will put money back into the City of Flint's coffers. A 70% full building could put as much as $2 million dollars a year into the budget. A vacant piece of green space $2,000 dollars a year. A parking lot that will hold cars on it, maybe $10,00 a year. The point can be made to save the building based on ecconomics.

4.) Estimates have come in between $7 - $12 million dollars to do enviromental, demolition and site restorations.

Estimates to renovate the building are coming in between $10 - $20 million dollars. This includes re skining the building, putting a new facade on it, making it look prettier.

5.) Just because its ugly doesn't mean we should just tear it down, lets renovate it and put people in it working, living, playing, eating..

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:

RAP

We need the jobs the Towers could hold.

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:24 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: