FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dear Mayor Williamson,

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Dear neighbor,

At the September 16 CCNA membership meeting, neighbors discussed Mayor Williamson's firing of Kay Kelly as Kearsley Park Director. A motion was made and unanimously supported for the CCNA to write a letter to the mayor to oppose that action and to urge that she be reinstated to the position. What follows is the text of the letter sent to him today:

October 1, 2008

Mayor Donald J. Williamson
Municipal Center
1101 S. Saginaw Street
Flint, Michigan 48502

The Honorable Donald J. Williamson,

I am writing on behalf of the members of the Flint College Cultural Neighborhood Association. A motion to send this letter was unanimously approved by approximately 70 members in attendance at our September 16 meeting. The membership protests the firing of Ms. Kay Kelly as the Kearsley Park Director.

A few years ago, Kearsley Park was a drag on the neighborhood. Drug use and other illegal activities were unfortunately the norm. The park was ill-kept and the facilities – what was left of them – were deteriorating badly.

Then, in conjunction with Mott Community College, the city and college embarked on a park revitalization plan. A state grant was awarded to revitalize the park – and, after a series of neighborhood meetings (with hundreds of 4th and 7th ward residents involved), a park revitalization plan was adopted and implemented.

New playground equipment was purchased and installed; a baseball field meeting college standards was built, the pavilion was refurbished, and the park was largely revitalized. Later, an additional state grant was obtained for the non-motorized trail, and park usage increased dramatically.

At about that point, the informal consortium that had been involved with the park upgrades obtained a Ruth Mott Foundation grant to hire a park coordinator for programming in the park and to build an endowment fund for long range activities and oversight.

The consortium selected Ms. Kelly. Since that time, a number of programs have been offered that have made Kearsley Park a destination in Flint. Summer Theatre, the Blue Grass Festival, an annual Car Show are just a few examples of the kind of activities that Ms. Kelly has implemented and shepherded to great success.

Beyond that, her dedication to keeping the park in great shape is notable. She often can be seen working long hours, with paintbrushes and trimmers in hand. The summer youth
that she directs are there because of her dedication.

Kearsley Park is in an adjoining neighborhood, and citizens in the College Cultural Neighborhood use and appreciate it. The park’s successful programs, and the vast
improvements under her leadership, contributes to property values and esthetic improvements in our neighborhood, just as they have in the immediate park neighborhood.

Ms. Kelly has been instrumental in improvements to our city, and has cost the city virtually nothing because of the grant funding that has been renewed from time to time, in part, because of her success.

We in the College Cultural Neighborhood were shocked and disappointed that she was
dismissed. She has created outstanding programs based on some personal loyalties to her and to her leadership. We cannot imagine that just anyone can step in and carry out those or other programs that have been so valuable to our area. Practically speaking, we fear that the grants that have paid for her distinguished service may ultimately be in jeopardy because of the manner in which she was dismissed. That suggests that no one will have the resources to carry on the park programming – regardless of their dedication and/or talent.

We call upon you to reconsider your action and bring Ms. Kelly back to her position as the Director of Kearsley Park.

We look forward to your response. If you would like to present it in person, our next
neighborhood meeting is scheduled for November 18, 2008, 7-9 pm.

Sincerely, and on behalf of the residents and members of the College Cultural Neighborhood Association,

Sherry Hayden
President

Last edited by LakeWoman50 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:37 am 
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

Right on, I hope he listens.

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Kay Kelly is a fine woman who I hold a lot of respect for, the mayor is wrong on this issue in my opinion!

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Rushmoore
F L I N T O I D

Kay Kelly is a good woman, that is why the Con dumped her.

Post Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:26 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: