FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: LAND BANK FLINT'S BIGGEST SLUM LORD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Is The Genesee County Land Bank Flint's Worst Slum Lord?
Yes, they have bitten off more than they can chew
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
No, they are just trying to take over all the property in Flint.
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
RECALL DAN KILDEE - Lets Clean Flint Up.
55%
 55%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 34

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
lunchlady schreef:
Yes, let Adam take over. If he buys all those properties for a buck or even 30.00! He will have spent only a few bucks and he will instantly have them all moved, cleaned up and turned into productive pieces of real estate.

I wouldn't move them. I guess we have a different definition of productive real estate. I think the main definition is on the tax rolls. Perhaps when the downtown elitists who often don't have to pay taxes like the rest of us really starts losing police people might start to listen to me.

Some people might call it racist for the land bank to only focus on elitist "white areas" while letting places like the black north end of Flint whither and die.
Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:49 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:
I'll ask again: How well were those abandoned houses, with their non-tax paying absentee owners, being maintained before the Land Bank?

They weren't. Does that mean the land bank doesn't have to, either? At the very least, the land bank should board them up. The first time someone is raped or murdered in a land bank owned, unsecured house, they'll be sued out of existence.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I was reading a brochure the land bank has and it states that they maintained all of their properties, over 2800 of them. They are appling for more funding next year so they can hopefully maintain them all. (MSHDA or HUD)

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
quote:
lunchlady schreef:
Yes, let Adam take over. If he buys all those properties for a buck or even 30.00! He will have spent only a few bucks and he will instantly have them all mowed, cleaned up and turned into productive pieces of real estate.

I wouldn't move them. I guess we have a different definition of productive real estate. I think the main definition is on the tax rolls. Perhaps when the downtown elitists who often don't have to pay taxes like the rest of us really starts losing police people might start to listen to me.

Some people might call it racist for the land bank to only focus on elitist "white areas" while letting places like the black north end of Flint whither and die.

It was supposed to say mowed not moved. oops.

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
I was reading a brochure the land bank has and it states that they maintained all of their properties, over 2800 of them. They are appling for more funding next year so they can hopefully maintain them all. (MSHDA or HUD)

They maintained all their properties and are applying for more funding next year so they can hopefully maintain them all????????????? HUH?

On July 8, I was at a meeting of a group of block clubs that was attended by Land Bank representatives Jeff Burdick and a young lady whore name I didn't get. I brought up the land bank owned houses at 2226, 2230, and 2310 Proctor. The yards are full of all kinds of trash, the houses were not boarded up, and the "lawn" was about 4ft tall. The young lady, almost angrily, said: "Do it yourself". The people attending got very upset with her, and she walked out of the meeting. Mr. Burdick wrote down the addresses, and 10 days later the front yards were mowed, with the weeds that were cut left laying all over the sidewalks. The back yards were not mowed, no trash was picked up, and the houses were not boarded. This is how they maintain all their properties?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

Here's everyone's chance to become a land tycoon. 400+ parcels being auctioned on September 11th. From tear-downs on the north side to empty lots on Lake Fenton.

As a side note, parcel #400 is several dozen properties listed together with a minimum bid of $2mill. Anyone know what that's all about?
Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:06 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

What a mess.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:59 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Marko Rollo schreef:
Here's everyone's chance to become a land tycoon. 400+ parcels being auctioned on September 11th. From tear-downs on the north side to empty lots on Lake Fenton.

As a side note, parcel #400 is several dozen properties listed together with a minimum bid of $2mill. Anyone know what that's all about?

I think they need to adjust their bidding process. I've heard it costs like $5,000 dollars to tear down a house. They should bite the bullet and take loses on properties like this http://www.tax-sale.info/lot/show/id/7363 that they want a minimum of $4,845.02.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:40 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Nope, chances are they can get more in taxes by building a mansion in the long run by selling it as a big lot. Rather than keeping 8 little cabins circa 1905 and collecting piddly taxes on a plethora of little lots.

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:35 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
Nope, chances are they can get more in taxes by building a mansion in the long run by selling it as a big lot. Rather than keeping 8 little cabins circa 1905 and collecting piddly taxes on a plethora of little lots.

That might actually make sense if the "mansions" weren't in tax haven zones.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:19 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

****That might actually make sense if the "mansions" weren't in tax haven zones*****

I don't think that there are too many tax haven zones on Long Lake/Lake Fenton waterfront. Smile

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:00 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I admit the Land Bank is doing fine outsdie of Flint but a lot of the millions in rehab in Flint were in Enterprise zones.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:22 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

My biggest problem with the Genesee County Land Bank is that they really are a land bully. They have thousands of properties all over the area, but it is so hard to get one! I know we need to keep the slum lords away and screening who receives the homes is appropriate, but it is hard to get someone to help you at the land bank. As an east side resident, I know all too well what abandoned and neglected vacant homes and lots can do. Many of my neighbors (who are good people and I know would take care of the properties) have been denied by the land bank for miniscule reasons. The properties sit vacant, burned, etc. and here we have folks who want them to improve their neighborhood, but can't get them. One woman on my block wanted a piece of land for a community garden that the land bank owned, but she was told it wasn't on "the list" of properties that could be sold. Right now it is over a foot high. Who knows, maybe Flint's next drag strip is going in there instead!
Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:31 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Well, I think the work on the Berridge and Durant are very very important. Especially for the Carriage Town Neighborhood!!

Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:26 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

And screw the rest of the city, right?

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:27 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: