FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: LAND BANK FLINT'S BIGGEST SLUM LORD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Is The Genesee County Land Bank Flint's Worst Slum Lord?
Yes, they have bitten off more than they can chew
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
No, they are just trying to take over all the property in Flint.
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
RECALL DAN KILDEE - Lets Clean Flint Up.
55%
 55%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 34

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Then thats a problem, i would contact the media/press, get some attention then they will clean it up the next day!

Post Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

It's not part of their precious downtown, carriage town, college, Hurley area, so it's ignored.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:15 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Maybe you can call Mayor Williamson, see what he can do. How has he been doing cleaning up city lots? Didn't he fire all of the ordinance enforcers? It seems to me the city could have made some money writing tickets on overgrown lawns and unsafe housing.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:37 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Lessee, Kevin maybe we can get a big group out there again to eradicate the vermin this time.....shall we release our hounds? The beagles, that is. Smile

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:38 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Andi, the only things my beagle will catch and kill are bees. You'd think she'd learn after the first few stings, but no.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:54 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Mine goes after stupid red squirrels.....

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:32 am 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Remember Dan only cares about himself!

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
It's not part of their precious downtown, carriage town, college, Hurley area, so it's ignored.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:43 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/09/local_critics_now_popping_up_t.html

"increasingly local critics are popping up, wondering whether the Land Bank has bitten off too much and why more hasn't been done to its properties.

"It's not pretty," Lamb said of the three vacant Land Bank properties in her neighborhood. "They don't keep the grass mowed. One of the houses actually caught on fire, and it's supposed to be vacant and boarded up."

She's complained to township leaders - so have her neighbors. Now their frustration is growing along with the weeds surrounding the eyesores they're forced to live next to.

The Land Bank now owns more than 3,000 properties in Genesee County, acquired through tax foreclosures. Contractors and neighborhood groups take care of about 800 of them; leaving thousands that aren't maintained."
Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:48 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

I'll ask again: How well were those abandoned houses, with their non-tax paying absentee owners, being maintained before the Land Bank? Do you think the problem got better or worse when Mayor Williamson fired all of the ordinance enforcers? Why is it that a small-government activist such as yourself expects a government organization with a very small budget to eliminate all urban blight overnight, when neither the private sector or the City of Flint were able to? The Land Bank gets a lot of funding from private and philanthropic organizations, but very little from Flint. The grants provided for the purchase of the hotel was given so the Land Bank can sell the renovated building and use the profits for demolition projects elsewhere. Urban blight isn't likely going to be solved anytime soon, particularly in a city with a surplus of thousands of houses. As long as politicians like you and Mayor Williamson offer nothing but criticism and obstacles, and no offers of help, the problems will persist.
Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:03 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Probably in comparable shape to the Durant but better than Kildee's headquarters he spent millions on fixing up. The land bank is doing great things and spending big money downtown but I guess the rest of Genesee county just needs to "bite the bullet." I might vote for the Democrat Mike Carr but I definately will not vote for Dan Kildee.

The land bank doesn't have to do it all by itself. I would seriously condsider "helping them out' and taking over if they would give me all 3,000 properties for $1 or even $30 total.

It's a pain in the ass trying to buy one property from the land bank though let alone 3,000.
Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:32 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

The Land Bank's mission is to eliminate SURPLUS housing. Why would they sell it to somebody who wanted to rent it out as sub-standard rental property? They prefer to raze the property, and sell the land to its resident neighbors who are willing to maintain it, like the gardeners in the article.
Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:51 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

If they wanted to get rid of surplus housing then perhaps they should have razed the downtown buildings and not added hundreds of apartments.

Perhaps with their elitist money they saved they coud have bought bus fair for those poor people who can't afford to live in the lofts.

I also am supportive of the Flint police department. If the land bank was able to kill all the low end "surplus" housing in Flint we might not even be able to afford our police department.
Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:56 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

I'm sorry Adam, that made almost no sense. "Elitist money"? Isn't it about time you guys retire that word for a bit since you clearly don't know what it means? The Land Bank should provide bus fare? Really? Would you like to take another swing at that one?
Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:17 am 
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

Yes, let Adam take over. If he buys all those properties for a buck or even 30.00! He will have spent only a few bucks and he will instantly have them all mowed, cleaned up and turned into productive pieces of real estate.

Last edited by lunchlady on Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:
I'm sorry Adam, that made almost no sense. "Elitist money"? Isn't it about time you guys retire that word for a bit since you clearly don't know what it means? The Land Bank should provide bus fare? Really? Would you like to take another swing at that one?

I meant elitist money as the land bank apparently only cares about downtown and other "key areas".

Since it appears their main goal is to eliminate excess housing and ignoring the black areas and Eastside it might be cheaper for them to pay for the bus fair so they can just go through with bulldozers. I'm being fecitious but I'm not supportive of the elitist save downtown but f*** the rest of Flint strategy.

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:40 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: