FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Wise Guys . . . & Gals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
This whole thing is making my undies get in a twist......with the venue that was chosen for the debate and the premise of it at that....especially with a "megachurch" I could go on and on and on and on about religious ideologies...

...but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

I agree. Officially, this wasn't a debate - it was a "forum" put on by a pastor that both candidates were invited to. Unofficially, it would have been political suicide for either candidate NOT to have accepted the invitation. It sure does smell like a religious test.

In the short term, I'm ignoring it because the NRA, NAACP, and several other single-issue organizations put the candidates through these dog-and-pony shows, so why shouldn't the evangelicals have a shot at it? They're as important a voting block as anyone else.

In the long term, I'm ready for the first candidate to stand up to this nonsense. Western civilization already had the enlightenment. Didn't we get the memo?
Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Mellow D
F L I N T O I D

Would you feel the same way if this had been held in a synagogue or mosque?
Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:32 pm 
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Mellow D schreef:

A fair question. Obviously, it isn't about the building. My concern is that for a brief moment in history a narrow and literal interpretation of the Bible borders on becoming a litmus test for becoming President. If the tables were turned and it was the Talmud or the Koran, I'd feel the same way.

If Christ were here there is one thing he would not be--a Christian.
- Mark Twain's Notebook
Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Mellow D schreef:

Shalom,

Just as mad.

Masalaam. Wink

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:10 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

marko?
I hate it when you're right....to a certain extent. Smile Smile

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:12 pm 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

I didn't see a "religious test" at all.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:16 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
strattonsigns schreef:

Possibly, because you don't want to see one? Smile

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:19 pm 
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
strattonsigns schreef:

That's the beauty of it. Consider this: somewhere between 10-25% of Americans are atheist or agnostic. Over 500 people in the US Congress, and only 1 is a self-described atheist.

So, either our legislators are an inherently godly bunch of folks, or a couple dozen have decided lying is preferable to loosing an election by being targeted by the religious right.

That my friend, is how the test is administered.

(McCain is rubbing off on me Embarassed )
Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:44 pm 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

"Does evil exist, and if it does, do we ignore it, do we negotiate with it, do we contain it or do we defeat it.?"

"The Civil Rights Act of '64 says that faith-based organizations have the right to hire people that believe like they do. Would you insist that faith-based organizations forfeit that right to access federal funds?"

"America right now ranks 19th in high school graduation. We're first in incarcertaions. Eighty percent of Americans recently polled said they believe in merit pay for teachers. . . Do you think better teachers should be paid better?"

Define rich. I mean, give me a number. Is it $50,000, $100,000, $200,000? Everybody keeps talking about, 'Well, we're going to tax the rich.' How do you define that?"

WHO ARE THE THREE WISEST PEOPLE YOU KNOW IN
YOUR LIFE AND WHO ARE YOU GOING TO RELY ON HEAVILY IN YOUR ADMINISTRATION?

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO TRUST IN CHRIST AND WHAT DOES IT
MEAN ON A DAILY BASIS? I MEAN, WHAT DOES THAT REALLY LOOK LIKE?

AT WHAT POINT DOES A BABY GET HUMAN RIGHTS IN YOUR VIEW?

WHAT WOULD BE LOOKING OVER YOUR LIFE, EVERYBODY'S GOT WINGS,
NOBODY'S PERFECT, WOULD BE THE GREATEST MORAL FAILURE IN
YOUR LIFE AND WHAT WOULD BE THE GREATEST MORAL FAILURE OF
AMERICA?

CAN YOU GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE OF WHERE YOU WIN AGAINST PARTY LOYALTY AND MAYBE EVEN WIN AGAINST YOUR OWN BEST INTEREST FOR THE GOOD OF AMERICA?

WHAT'S THE MOST SIGNIFICANT POSITION YOU HELD TEN YEARS AGO THAT YOU NO LONGER HOLD TODAY, THAT YOU FLIPPED ON, YOU CHANGED ON BECAUSE YOU ACTUALLY SEE IT DIFFERENTLY?

WHAT'S THE MOST GUT WRENCHING DECISION YOU'VE EVER HAD TO MAKE AND HOW DID YOU PROCESS THAT, COME TO THAT DECISION?

AS AN AMERICAN,WHAT'S WORTH DYING FOR? WHAT'S WORTH HAVING SACRIFICE OF AMERICAN LIVES FOR?

WHAT WOULD BE THE CRITERIA THAT YOU WOULD COMMIT TROOPS TO END THE GENOCIDE, FOR INSTANCE, LIKE WHAT'S GOING ON IN DARFUR OR COULD HAPPEN IN GEORGIA OR ANYWHERE ELSE, A MASS KILLING?

WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO CONSIDER AND EVEN COMMIT TO DOING SOME KIND OF EMERGENCY PLAN FOR OTHER FANS LIKE PRESIDENT BUSH DID WITH AIDS ALMOST A PRESIDENT'S EMERGENCY PLAN FOR ORPHANS TO DEAL WITH THIS ISSUE?

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE US SHOULD DO TO END RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION FOR INSTANCE IN CHINA, IN IRAQ AND IN MANY OF OUR ALLIES. I'M NOT JUST TALKING ABOUT PERSECUTION OF CHRISTIANITY, PARTICUALLY WITH THE PERSECUTION AROUND THE WORLD THAT PERSECUTES MILLIONS OF PEOPLE?

THE THIRD LARGEST AND THE FASTEST GROWING CRIMINAL INDUSTRY IN THE WORLD IS HUMAN TRAFFICKING. $32 BILLION A YEAR, LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THAT THERE ARE ABOUT 27 MILLION PEOPLE LIVING IN SLAVERY RIGHT NOW, MANY THEM IN SEX TRAFFIC, BUT IN OTHERS. HOW DO WE SPEAK OUT AND HOW DO YOU PLAN TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT?

TELL ME IN A MINUTE WHY YOU WANT TO BE PRESIDENT?

WHAT WOULD YOU TELL THE AMERICAN PUBLIC IF YOU KNEW THERE WOULDN'T BE ANY REPERCUSSIONS?

WHILE SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS DO INQUIRE AS TO THE CANDIDATES FAITH.....MOST DO NOT.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:56 pm 
tricky mutha
F L I N T O I D

Do you have to SCREAM all your questions? You'll hurt your throat.

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:03 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Here are the official transcripts here:

http://www.rickwarrennews.com/transcript/

Strattonsigns you forgot that he prefaced the first few questions with quotes from the Bible.

You know what? God made a donkey talk in the OT, right? If he can use a donkey, he sure as heck can use someone like me to talk through....oy.

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:05 pm 
torgohugo
F L I N T O I D

Then we'd have to call in Saint Blaze for strattonsigns

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:09 pm 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

Copy and pasted....and if you can hear those capital letters my friend....you have a problem.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:22 pm 
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
strattonsigns schreef:
WHILE SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS DO INQUIRE AS TO THE CANDIDATES FAITH.....MOST DO NOT.

You're exactly right, which is why 2 pages ago I gave links and suggested that people watch the forum for themselves.

However, the larger point is, an athiest, agnositic, deist, Muslim, Buddist or Jew would be given the cold shoulder at best, booed at worst, and certainly never elected. Only born-again Christians who have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and savior get to play the game.

I've read the constitution, and I'm pretty sure that isn't in the rules.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:48 pm 
tricky mutha
F L I N T O I D

Oh yeah I have a problem SS- your incessant screaming has given me tinnitus

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:30 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: