FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Dodge City Flint
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

What the hell is going on there? I thought crime was on the way down.
People getting shot up like a freaking firing range back home. People getting dragged to death......
What a hell hole Flint continues to be. The saddest part is that you people are numb to the fact. You are used to that behavior. Do the youth of Flint consider this "normal" behavior? Is it considered an average night to duck bullets as you are walking down the street?
Oh, the price you people pay to live in paradise, I guess!
Man, I wish I could drag my old couch out to the front porch and watch a good drive by! You people have it made!
Greeting from Eutopia!

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:46 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

We sit on our porch every day. No problems. Except for the 2 drive-bys and one shootout in the street last year, that is. Shocked

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Crime goes up when the weather warms. I too, was under the impression Flint was having a good year then BAM! freaking idiots go nuts.
And you thought Irag was bad.
richard
Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:42 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I can see it all now. Global Warming causes increase in violent crime. Laughing Sound farfetched dont be surprised . Laughing

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:36 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I'm amazed at the weather issue dealing with crime. Is it because it's a beautiful day out so criminals can hang out on the streets. Or is it an issue of High heat and tempers flaring off?
Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Richard
F L I N T O I D

http://www.apa.org/monitor/feb98/global.html
Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:00 pm 
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
I'm amazed at the weather issue dealing with crime. Is it because it's a beautiful day out so criminals can hang out on the streets. Or is it an issue of High heat and tempers flaring off?

Neither? Both? Dunno, but the full moon does it too. Ask any street cop.
Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Really? So how was the shootings last night? It was a full moon
Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

Yeah guys... Don't bother attending the Crim or the Back to the Bricks, you know you might get killed out there, it's just so dangerous! Oh my don't go see Seinfeld at the Whiting, you might just get mugged! And definitely don't lease at the beautiful First Street Lofts, a vandal might learn your password, break past security and mug you on your seventh floor loft!
Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:55 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

See ya there early at the Crim at 6:00 am....good gravy...I'll be the one wearing the bullet proof vest...<sarcasm>

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:28 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

We that are still in Flint, at least those of us on this board, may be a bit Pollyanna-ish about things changing, but we do know the difference between "should have" and "should of". And yes, we even know which is grammatically correct.

Enjoy "Eutopia", langer!

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:46 pm 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

I don't buy the weather theory. It's been cooler and drier during this unfortunate uptick. What is different, however, and what I speculate matches up better with the timeframe is that this surge started right after Super Chief Dicks announced his fashion policing plan. I know, 2Tap & Dave, I know. Stay with me. Days later, Super Chief Dicks announces that he wants corporations to help him fund a neighborhood video surveillance program. For the second time is days, Super Chief sounds more like a contestant on Donald Trump's 'The Apprentice' than a leader of men serious about rooting out crime in Flint. And given his allegiance to the Don, that analogy may not be far off. Then there's the ongoing muzzle placed on officers from speaking with the media. Keep in mind, the Mayor's budget blunders have also resulted in the closure of the city jail and laying off of 48 officers. But there was enough in the coffers for the purchase of new Segways at $5,000 a pop (I just bought a new bike for $130). Now I believe that the majority of crimes – particularly violent crimes – are personal, passionate, and unpredictable by nature. Nobody says to themselves, 'I'm gonna shoot up my block because Super Chief Dicks wants me to pull my pants up.' But what all of these schemes and novelties scream loud and clear to any would-be thug is that these cops aint gonna do shit. They're bosses are too busy trying to innovate their asses out of a job than to be in a position to do what is necessary to make severe ramifications of such violence a credible deterrent. They take one look at a grown man on a two-wheeled unicycle and know he aint gonna put the lockdown on anyone BUT a kid who trips over his own belt. Again, there is no way that's an end-all be-all explanation for this sad situation. But it sure suggests that Super Chief Dicks is far too distracted with glitz and gimmickry to be effective. If I were the Don, I'd sit him down and tell him, "We're fired."

http://www.hr676.org

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/the_national_health_insurance_bill_hr_676.php
Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:43 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Actually, Crime probably is down. With the City jail having been opened for almost a year. We did finally get a good number of criminals off the streets.

The problem is we do not have a coherent and reasonable plan to fight crime. The simplist things to do seem far fetched to so many in Flint and it's government.

Hmmm, WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF FLINT REALLY WANTED CRIME TO GO DOWN AND ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT?

Insurance rates would come down.
More young people would actually go to school and graduate.
Business would actually want to come here.
We wouldn't need as many "Victum" organizations.
Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:24 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Studies show the opening of the jail did NOTHING to affect crime levels -- most people housed there were like suspended license arrests or drug offenses.

Furthermore, their fancy little improvement in the murder rate is completely gone, thanks to the 9 or so in August, and in fact, most people attribute any change in the crime rate to the involvement of the FEDS in working on busting that Pierson Road gang.

I do agree that lots of violent crime, particularly murder, is unpredictable and random. However, I think we can also agree that a certain type of violence is connected to "underworld" activity like drugs, prostitution and other racketeering. And when I talk about drugs, I mean the ones that are highly addictive.

The goddamn cameras don't work, I wish they'd shut up about it already. People just move their crime, big shock!

But all this is moot. They're looking for quick fixes to problems that have been stewing and are probably most directly attributable to poverty. Dicks & Co. don't have any fresh ideas... in fact, they have no ideas at all. Their police motto seems to be: SHIT HAPPENS.

And sorry for the length, but another aside: Did anyone read about the Flint cop who hit an unarmed fleeing suspect (teenage kid who was joyriding) with his SUV? That very set me off. How is THAT necessary?

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:41 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Studies show the opening of the jail did NOTHING to affect crime levels -- most people housed there were like suspended license arrests or drug offenses
What study? I'd like to read that one.

If it wasn't opening the Flint jail that brought crime down 6 percent last year. When, after Don was put in charge by the state crime began a 15 percent a year crime increase until the city finally put criminals behind bars? What would YOU suggest was the reason behind the crime mysteriosly, and magically starting to come down simotaineously with the opening of the jail?

quote:
But all this is moot. They're looking for quick fixes to problems that have been stewing and are probably most directly attributable to poverty. Dicks & Co. don't have any fresh ideas... in fact, they have no ideas at all. Their police motto seems to be: SHIT HAPPENS.
What? How would attribute any of this to poverty? Considering the areas of the US and the World that have higher levels of poverty don't even in a "MOST CASES" senerio, that show crime is relational to the poverty level?

Those cameras have worked. However, the criminal does get smarter. Even though 98 percent of them never graduated high school.

quote:
Did anyone read about the Flint cop who hit an unarmed fleeing suspect (teenage kid who was joyriding) with his SUV? That very set me off. How is THAT necessary?
I KNOW!! THEY MISSED! Who is training these officers to shoot? How much practice do they get? When I'm Mayor we are going to have a Flint Police Department shooting team and competition. Way, WAY too many missed shots! I'd be embarassed if I was Chief. I'd also been really ticked if they hadn't gotten that idiot, wanna be thug who has decided his greastest asperation in life is to one day be incarcerated in Jackson State Pen. so he can come back to Flint with a reputation so he can impress his friends and family. Bragging how he got over on the "SYSTEM". Before he runs over some little kid while he is running from police. Or hits some little old later and killed her.

The police finally get the chance to be proactive and preventative and people down them for doing their job. (ok I can be blamed for that a little too).
Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:49 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: