FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Flint Michigan schools covered by NY Times June 24 2008
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

The NY Times LOVES Flint -- has been covering Flint a lot in the last few years. Pick up the June 24th edition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/us/24move.html?_r=1&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all
Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:28 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Thanks for posting this Shawn. I was aware that the Times reporter was in town and was hoping I'd get a chance to read the article.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:20 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I know one of the couples in the article. Looks like they moved again.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Thanks for tipping me off to the news story, Shawn. Having a stable home life is a sure way to improve grades in school.

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:09 am 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Thanks for this, Shawn!

http://www.hr676.org

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/the_national_health_insurance_bill_hr_676.php
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:35 am 
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

Be sure to check out the reader comments -- close to 100 as of this writing, and they pick some of the better ones and highlight them as "editors choice" -- it seems if you're from Flint they give you an express pass.

http://community.nytimes.com/article/comments/2008/06/24/us/24move.html?s=4

Post away people! Represent Flint!
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:13 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/06/24/us/24move03_190.jpg

I wish the guy would have talked to some of the neighbors!

That is almost right accross the street from my house. Ive been calling for weeks trying to get it cleaned up. Sandy Has Tried and the Ward Captian has tried. It was at one time all in bags and neatly set in front of the house. But, garbage men refused to pick it up when it was neat! Possibly because there were about 20 bags. Now its twenty open bags~!
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
hmmm
F L I N T O I D

I attempted to post a comment on the NYTimes site, but it was closed... Anyway, this is a BIG deal for the Times to cover Flint. Yeah I know there will be those who feel the article again portrayed Flint in a bad light, but honestly think about it, the article didn't lie. Hopefully, our elected officials will finally understand just how negative a perception Flint has globally and be motivated into working together for real progress! Millions of people around the world have and will read this article (no kidding), so now the question is will Flint and Michigan's leaders really bring about change or pass the buck (you don't really want to know what I think they're gonna do...)? People of Flint, DEMAND MORE FROM YOUR LEADERS!
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
hmmm schreef:
Hopefully, our elected officials will finally understand just how negative a perception Flint has globally and be motivated into working together for real progress! Millions of people around the world have and will read this article (no kidding), so now the question is will Flint and Michigan's leaders really bring about change or pass the buck (you don't really want to know what I think they're gonna do...)? People of Flint, DEMAND MORE FROM YOUR LEADERS!

So you're pleased with the work Granholm is doing? It sounds like you regurgitated her and most every other politicians campaign slogans. Government leaders who were simply working for progress and working for change are the main reason we are in the situation we are in. Well intentioned government programs are not the solution to our problems. Far too often they are the problem. Think about it next time you look at the money taken out of your paycheck. Think about what Lansing and the federal government beaurocrats are doing to help your family with it and what you could have done to help your family with it. Perhaps you could have even used it to save up for your retirement that the government may have no money for.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:20 pm 
hmmm
F L I N T O I D

Adam we're both saying more is needed, a new way of doing things...
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:52 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Thanks for passing that along Shawn, we are fortunate to have such good friends as you in NYC!

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Adam although I agree with you a lot, lets be honest here, she is doing the best she can with the cards she was dealt. Michigan isn't the only state suffering right now, its all 50 states!

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
quote:
hmmm schreef:
Hopefully, our elected officials will finally understand just how negative a perception Flint has globally and be motivated into working together for real progress! Millions of people around the world have and will read this article (no kidding), so now the question is will Flint and Michigan's leaders really bring about change or pass the buck (you don't really want to know what I think they're gonna do...)? People of Flint, DEMAND MORE FROM YOUR LEADERS!

So you're pleased with the work Granholm is doing? It sounds like you regurgitated her and most every other politicians campaign slogans. Government leaders who were simply working for progress and working for change are the main reason we are in the situation we are in. Well intentioned government programs are not the solution to our problems. Far too often they are the problem. Think about it next time you look at the money taken out of your paycheck. Think about what Lansing and the federal government beaurocrats are doing to help your family with it and what you could have done to help your family with it. Perhaps you could have even used it to save up for your retirement that the government may have no money for.

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

So it's still Engler's fault, Ryan?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hey when it comes to da dems its never their fault. Laughing

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:17 am 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

There's a good chance we may be voting in November to downsize state government:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080625/NEWS06/806250306

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:50 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: