FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: NY's corruption fighting Gov.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Another fine Democratic Party member........ But, hey, it's only sex, no big deal.

$5500.00 per hour????

From www.michellemalkin.com

The fall of Eliot Spitzer: “Client Number 9?” Update: Report - Expected to resign; Report - indicted?; Update: “I apologize to my family. I apologize to the public.” Rumor: Resignation at 7pm?
By Michelle Malkin • March 10, 2008 01:24 PM

Scroll down for updates…3:00pm Eastern Spitzer is expected to resign…Wow. This is an astounding turn of events for a ruthlessly ambitious, self-styled crusader against corruption. Proverbs 16:18, anyone?…3:06pm Eastern Fox sources reporting that Spitzer has been indicted in the Emperors’ Club case…3:15pm Eastern. Via WCBSTV, which livestreamed Spitzer’s brief statement: “I apologize to my family. I apologize to the public to whom I promised better…I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family”…No questions. No reference to the prostitution ring. No reference to resigning. No reference to indictment….WCBS reports Albany buzz about possible resignation at 7pm and swearing-in of Lt. Gov. David Paterson…

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Why would he resign something like this usually raises the stature of Democrats? Laughing

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:36 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

On another forum I hang out on, which will remain unnamed, the comments are more along the lines of: "Well, yeah, but Bush....."

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

My friend from the Bronx e-mailed that announcement to me and only sent a link with a four letter word........she wasn't too happy.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:26 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

At the Mayflower, Client 9's Sinking Ship

By Dana Milbank
Tuesday, March 11, 2008; A02

The woman accused of running a prostitution ring allegedly patronized by Eliot Spitzer told one of her call girls that the New York governor had been known to "ask you to do things that, like, you might not think were safe."

But whatever Spitzer -- or, in the language of a federal court filing, "Client-9" -- did with a petite brunette nicknamed "Kristen" on the eve of Valentine's Day last month at Washington's Mayflower Hotel, it probably wasn't as monstrous as what he asked his wife to do yesterday.

In the grand tradition of Larry Craig, David Vitter and Jim McGreevey, Spitzer dragged his partner of 21 years before the television cameras at his offices in New York to announce that he was "disappointed" in himself for unspecified sins.

Silda Wall Spitzer looked like a victim of food poisoning as she stood by her man's side. She cast her eyes downward at the 183-word statement while he read it. She raised her glance only briefly, when the governor admitted he had "acted in a way that violates my obligation to my family," when he offered an apology "to the public, whom I promised better," and again when he pledged to "dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family."

The silent Mrs. Spitzer -- Harvard law school graduate, corporate lawyer, nonprofit founder and mother of the governor's three daughters -- then led Client 9 away from the lectern.

Fortunately for Mrs. Spitzer, the ordeal lasted only 67 seconds, and the governor, his forehead shining under the TV lights, took no questions. Unfortunately for Mr. Spitzer, this left unchallenged a rather lurid account of the events of last month at the Mayflower in the federal prosecutors' filing; indeed, Spitzer admitted that he violated "any sense of right and wrong."

You're not kidding, Governor. Client 9 didn't even splurge on the Acela for the prostitute.

The filing indicates she took the 5:39 p.m. regional Amtrak down from Penn Station on Feb. 13 for her rendezvous with Spitzer in Washington. But Kristen -- described in the court papers as a "very pretty brunette, 5 feet 5 inches, and 105 pounds" -- forgave the governor for this slight. Calling in to her, uh, dispatcher just after midnight on Valentine's Day, she reported that Client 9 had given her $4,300 for the session and down payment toward the next. Spitzer had used just two of his four allotted hours; he had to testify the next morning before a House Financial Services subcommittee on the "State of the Bond Insurance Industry."

Spitzer evidently had a reputation with the service for being "difficult" -- a sentiment shared by many Wall Street executives he prosecuted -- but Kristen was philosophical. "I'm here for a purpose. I know what my purpose is," she said in a phone call recorded by the feds. "I am not a . . . moron, you know what I mean. So maybe that's why girls maybe think they're difficult."

And besides, Kristen went on, "I have a way of dealing with that. . . . I'd be, like, 'Listen, dude, you really want the sex?' "

Thrice in his brief statement, Spitzer spoke of his affection for his home state: his desire to "bring real change to New York," to "rebuild New York" and to do "what is best for the state of New York." Even in scandal, he sought to patronize New York products, working with a New York company to have Kristen exported.

Yet Spitzer, in risking scandal in a hotel room, also had the good sense to take his business to a city famous for such activities. In selecting the Mayflower, he chose the same hotel believed to have been used for assignations by John F. Kennedy, and the very place where Monica Lewinsky stayed when she testified about her tryst with Bill Clinton. A couple of blocks in either direction are the Jefferson, where Clinton adviser Dick Morris met a prostitute, and the Westin Grand, where defense contractors were said to have provided prostitutes to government officials.

Franklin Roosevelt liked the Mayflower, too, albeit for more legitimate pursuits; he is said to have written the line "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" in Room 776, one flight down from Spitzer's room, 871. (The New York Times discovered that Spitzer had booked the room under the name of George Fox, one of his donors.)

Client 9 was having a bit of a credit problem with the service, the court filing shows. His "package" -- cash payment -- hadn't arrived and, for obvious reasons, he preferred not to "do traditional wire transferring."

Just in time, the package arrived, and Spitzer, told that his visitor was Kristen, replied, "Great, okay, wonderful." The service "asked Client-9 whether he could give 'Kristen' 'extra funds' at this appointment in order to avoid payment issues in the future," the prosecution filing says.

In extensive detail, the prosecutors' filing notes the financial arrangements ("Client-9 would be paying for everything -- train tickets, cab fare from the hotel and back, mini bar or room service, travel time, and hotel") and the meeting logistics for Room 871 ("Client-9 explained that the door would not be visibly open, but if someone pushed it, the door would open").

By late afternoon yesterday, the Mayflower had stationed a security guard on the eighth floor to keep the scandal-minded at bay. Some of the camera-toting tourists had already dubbed it the "Spitzer Hotel." But Kristen and Client 9 were long gone. In their place, reporters arriving on the scene encountered a bit of fitting imagery for the New York governor: a meeting of the National Funeral Directors Association.

Staff writer Petula Dvorak contributed to this report.

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:33 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Once again...people who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.

And, yet again, do as I say, not as I do.
Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:52 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

But don't you realize FC?.....He wasn't acting as a Governor then, so it doesn't matter, plus he was in a different jurisdiction, so he wasn't on duty....<prior sentence dripping with extreme sarcasm>.

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:44 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Oh yeah...and it was just sex.
Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:17 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Just another rich liberal Democrat. Laughing

Disgraced NY Governor Won't Need New Job
2008-03-12 17:10:51
By DAVID B. CARUSO Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — Eliot Spitzer probably doesn't need to get a day job when he leaves the governor's office next week.

The scion of a wealthy Manhattan real estate developer, Spitzer is a millionaire who could easily live off his share of his father's real estate business.

But that doesn't mean there won't be financial wrinkles ahead for Spitzer, who announced his resignation Wednesday after becoming ensnared in a prostitution scandal.

If he were to lose his law license, his ability to return to private law practice might be compromised. There's also the possibility that his wife could divorce her cheating husband and walk away with a chunk of the family fortune.

"Any judge who is going to decide this case is going to bend over backward to give her a break, considering what she's been through," said Albert Momjian, a prominent Philadelphia divorce lawyer.

Silda Wall Spitzer gave up a lucrative career in corporate law in 1994, the year that her husband made his first run for public office. Since then, she has worked unpaid jobs in philanthropy and founded a charity called Children for Children.

Spitzer's fall may have one indirect financial benefit. He will probably have to give up what appears to be his most expensive vice: high-priced prostitutes.

When the scandal broke, allegations surfaced that he had shelled out $4,300 to a call girl the night before Valentine's Day. A law enforcement official speaking on condition of anonymity later told The Associated Press that Spitzer was a regular customer who spent as much as $80,000 on a call-girl service over several years.

Until this week, the governor's Mr. Clean image extended to his spending, too. His staffers always boasted that their millionaire boss was a frugal guy who owned only a few pairs of shoes and drove a minivan.

"He was certainly not free with the dollars. He was very, very careful," said Hank Sheinkopf, a New York political consultant who worked on Spitzer's first two campaigns. "This is not the kind of guy who would take $50,000 out of his own bank account one weekend and blow it in Atlantic City."

Spitzer could have afforded many more luxuries. He reported $1.9 million in income to the IRS in 2006, according to his last publicly available tax return.

Not including last year, his earnings have been $14.9 million since 1998, and that total only hints at his family's wealth. His father, Bernard Spitzer, is said to be worth at least $500 million.

Spitzer's tax returns show that a majority of his income comes from rents collected on apartments and shops owned by the family. As governor, he earned $179,000 a year.

For years, the family spent weekends in a modest, rented home in Columbia County, south of Albany. The Spitzers recently paid $4 million to buy the entire 160-acre property.

The family's main residence continues to be a luxurious Fifth Avenue apartment in a tower built by his father in 1968. Spitzer lives there rent-free, courtesy of his father, who owns at least 10 such apartment towers.

When his three children were younger, Spitzer shelled out nearly $50,000 a year for nannies. Now the kids attend the Horace Mann School, where tuition exceeds $29,000 per student — nearly $100,000 in education expenses alone.
Spitzer and his wife have also given generously to charity, donating $474,509 between 2000 and 2006.

All of those spending habits pale in comparison to what Spitzer spent on politics: He financed his losing 1994 and winning 1998 campaigns for state attorney general with millions of dollars in personal loans. Much of that debt was retired when the governor sold his share of a family owned apartment building back to his father.

If there is a divorce, Silda Spitzer would likely be entitled to half of whatever assets the family acquired during their 20-year marriage — although discussion of a split may be premature.

Silda Spitzer stood next to her husband when he announced his resignation Wednesday and some observers said they believe the marriage may survive.

"She has grounds for 50 different divorces here," said Raoul Felder, a divorce lawyer and state judicial board chairman who lived in Spitzer's apartment building for 19 years, and later feuded with the governor over an off-color book he co-wrote with the comic Jackie Mason.

"But will she stick? I think she will," Felder said. "She's stood by him so far."

———

Associated Press investigative researcher Randy Herschaft contributed to this report.

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:02 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I'll say it: it's only sex. Give the poor man a little credit -- at least he owned up and stepped down, unlike Kwame or that wanker Larry Craig.

And by the way, why do you highlight what he spends on education for his kids? If you had that chance, wouldn't you want to send your kids there?
Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:06 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well ill give him credit that he picked out a cute one. Of course for $4300 a pop so to speak she better be cute. Laughing The reason I highlighted the school costs is the fact that most rich libs like him are opposed to the little folks having charter schools or vouchers. Thats all. As far as the sex thing I couldnt care less who or what he decides to get off with but the hypocrisy of the guy is the problem. Oh ya and I believe they might as well legalize it tax it and free up the vice squad for bigger and better things. Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHS0RYV_Ed0

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:18 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

She's nice looking, but I'd rather invest $4300.00 in a nice trip for my wife & I, and reap long-term rewards. Laughing Laughing

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:32 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I agree but you have to remember $4300 to this guy is like $43 to us. Very Happy

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:07 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Elliot Spitzler was one of the most dangerous demagogues in this country, and good riddance to him.

he bent and broke the rules, and as a prosecutor had the terrible power to bring criminal charges, or even the threat of charges to destroy lives. When focussed on criminals its great. When focussed upon law-abiding people or corporations that he just doesn't like, it is a terrible abuse of power....though he was careful to select targets that rarely had much sympathy in the general populations.....Wall Street big shots, corporations et al.

but he had a mean streak, for whenever anyone criticized him, they would get smeared and threatened of being arrested in front of their children etc....

all the while he's breaking the laws [self-admitted campaign laws] and his staff abusing power to dig up dirt on opponents.

and through it all, our wonderful watchdogs of freedom and democracy, the press adied and abbetted his abuses.

there's the real story here. anyone want a casebook example of what can happen when the press gets too aligned with a pol that they lose their desire and ability to be nuetral, there is the way to destruction of freedom.

a pox on him. and more so on the complicit press. they should be ashamed, but are way beyond that point. they gorge themselves on hubris.

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:41 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Yeah, a pox on the press! I don't know how or when they got so lazy. Pretty soon the associated press will be the only game in town.
Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:53 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: