FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Hey Ryan Nice Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

That reminds me of the old TV movie adaptation of the book "The Day The Bubble Burst" about the stock market crash of 1929. It had three Flint based stories. One about Billy Durant (played by David Ogden Stiers) the head of Durant Motors who lost everything in the crash, the Union Industrial Bank execs who played the stock market (without the knowledge of bank head C.S. Mott) and did jail time as a result, and the Vargo family which lost their Union Industrial Bank savings. C.S. Mott famously withdrew funds from his personal account in Detroit to cover the bank losses. Union Industrial Bank and First National Bank both failed in the Great Depression. The National Bank of Flint was formed to take over the frozen accounts. It was absorbed by Michigan National Bank which was absorbed by Standard Federal Bank which assumed the name of corporate sibling LaSalle Bank and is now part of and soon to be Bank of America.

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:43 pm 
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

The movie was better than I expected. I haven't really seen any other Will Ferrell movies except for Anchorman (someone recommended it) and Stranger than Fiction. I expected it to be as bad as Anchorman and it wasn't. Maybe because I already knew how silly the humor would be, I was pleasantly surprised. I think it is cool that they shot some of it here and I am glad they gave us a little notoriety for something besides being on the worst city for this or that list. I sure don't think this movie is going to do that much for Flint but it isn't going to hurt us. I would love more movies to be made here. Will Ferrell is just not my favorite type of humor but neither were the Three Stooges. It is fun to see the Flint scenes.

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

That whole post TwoTap, the one with the bugs and the "chick" taking her top off............was that supposed to mean "BuggyBoobs"? Or something?

I sense a Fabio moment coming on soon.....<evil grin>

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:23 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

*****..... "Titanic" won Best Picture of the Year in 1997, but by a ficticious account of a true event.*******

The accountant for that movie is my brother's boss............like that had anything to do with anything......Smile

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:25 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
That whole post TwoTap, the one with the bugs and the "chick" taking her top off............was that supposed to mean "BuggyBoobs"? Or something?

I sense a Fabio moment coming on soon.....<evil grin>

I saw the movie twice and I did not see the girl flashing the team bus. Could that scene be on the same cutting room floor as the Capitol Theatre Mega Bowl closed circuit telecast scene?

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:37 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

You saw "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" twice and missed Phoebe coming out of the pool both times. Shocked Jeez what were you smokin. Laughing Laughing That one scene alone got more young lads on the road to puberty than probably any other in history. Razz

Last edited by twotap on Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:44 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
You saw "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" twice and missed Phoebe coming out of the pool both times. Shocked Jeez what were you smokin. Laughing Laughing That one scene alone got more young lads on the road to puberty than probably any other in history. Razz

How did "Fast Times" get into this conversation? Actually, the topless scene with Phoebe (as Linda) was a fantasy scene of what was going on inside Judge Reinhold's character Brad's brain while he was masterbating in the bath house. His fantasy was spoiled when Phoebe entered the room unannounced and was repulsed by what she saw.

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:53 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Go back to page one and count down about 15 posts. Laughing

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:06 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Found it. Of course, I was originally talking about the flashing scene at the Tropics tour bus

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:56 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I thought you might have missed the original intent. From what I have heard of the movie so far it sounds like they should have left the flash scene in. Wink Very Happy

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:02 am 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

quote:
MetroGirl schreef:
quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Thanks Ted, I am really excited by this and what it will do for Flint. I am happy to see my hometown on movie screens across the WORLD. I never once asked what will the movie people do for me, but rather what will they do for Flint. When they first asked me to use my bar and for me to help them scout out areas and locations I offered my help for free. I think this could be the begining of more of HOLLYWOOD coming to Flint....

Come on Ryan....lets be real! This isnt the second coming of Ray Ruether and General Motors or something!
It might put the name Flint out there for a few months but it isnt going to bring jobs and prosperty to Flint....lets get real people!

I'm sorry everyone....my brother, the forever 'hater' and pessimist...
Its called basic good PR. Commonly taught in business or marketing classes around any college or university.

This movie helps to bring good PR to Flint...even if it only is seen by one person...the negativity of the media and world's perception of Flint, MI will be replaced, for at least an hour and a half, with fun, light humor based in Flint, Michigan. Even if one person associates Semi-Pro with Flint, MI and gets a laugh, its one less person that associates it with Roger and Me, or povery, crime, or the fact that Al Garcia is from there (just kidding).

Most importantly, it gives the people of Flint some pride that Hollywood has picked their hometown to film and base a movie there. It gives them a sense of pride to see landmarks, people they know, etc. on screen. This gives them a good feeling, even it be temporarily, about where they live, rather than all of the negativity that has been bestowed upon them.

I'm sure that the filming brought in revenue, did create jobs while in production and had some sort of economic impact on the city. In addition, the filmmakers, if theyhad a positive experience, will see things in Flint that may make them, or their colleagues in the entertainment world, come back to Flint for future filming.

Great things dont happen over night. Rome wasnt built in one day. It's small, constant change that builds upon something great. Even if its a few-week filming of a movie.

Think positively and optimistically every once in a while. It makes life a happy place. positivity breeds positivity. It doesnt have to be huge change to be good change;l

*horns*

Velda

Come on Velda....there is no need to apopogize for me...come on!
Call me a "hater" or a "pessimist" just be sure to call me a realist as well!
They picked Flint for this movie because they needed a true down and out city for a down and out fictional team. You dont think they would base the movie in some up and coming prosporus mid sized city. What better true life city then Flint Michigan?
The movie company might of dropped a few coins in the coffers but we know who will really make the big bucks off Flint, dont we?
When is the last time pride and seeing local landmarks on the big screen put food on the table?
You are right on one thing, great things don't happen over night. Flint has been turning that corner for the past quarter century. Flint keeps spinning their wheels and going round and round in circles. Where has Flint gone? NOWHERE!
Remember, the Fish really didn't save Pittsburgh, did it!
Love to the kids!

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:42 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: