FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: FREE FRIDAY WAS A FLOP

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Jeremy

Thousands of people didn't hit the streets of downtown Flint, and neither did the tourists money. The shops didn't enjoy great sales. Why do some people in Flint always act like they are the Messiah?

Case in point: The Flint Club's Master Dayne Walling.

People don't want to come downtown to Blow Bubbles, they want to come downtown and drink beer, have a Filet Mignon, Watch a new band, or dance without there shirts till they are too tired to do it anymore.
Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:23 pm 
BofMouais
F L I N T O I D

Friday wasn't for tourists. Friday was for the community.
And there were no promises of people "blowing bubbles" anywhere.

I have gone to the Second Friday Art Walks nearly every month for the past three years and the turnout for this most recent event was better than last year's, especially considering the crappy weather.

Was it an overwhelming success? Maybe not. However, it was certainly a success.

From your comments, it sounds like none of you bothered to attend, which means you're not part of the solution either.

P.S. I did have a beer and a Torch Burger that night (which is sometimes better than filet mignon if you ask me).
Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Becky

I'm with you on this one BofMouais. This was not the "mega wow" that will save Flint from decades of poor management, but it was a great step in the right direction. Our little corner of the world at Buckham Alley Theatre generated over 60 people in a 80-seat house that night, which is DOUBLE what the theatre has been averaging. In a hurting corner, we got some love and it was awesome! Some were already scheduled to come and then had the chance to see other things downtown and others came by because they saw the other activities and wandered down to our part of the block.

Either way, it was good.

Frankly, I think more family-friendly activities would be great for Flint and for Downtown. Family markets have a great track record - don't believe me? Ask Disney.

Smile

I think with more advanced planning and more participants, we could really see the Art Walk nights flourish. Not just for the sake of the Art Walk, but for the sake of the entire community.

quote:
BofMouais schreef:
Friday wasn't for tourists. Friday was for the community.
And there were no promises of people "blowing bubbles" anywhere.

I have gone to the Second Friday Art Walks nearly every month for the past three years and the turnout for this most recent event was better than last year's, especially considering the crappy weather.

Was it an overwhelming success? Maybe not. However, it was certainly a success.

From your comments, it sounds like none of you bothered to attend, which means you're not part of the solution either.

P.S. I did have a beer and a Torch Burger that night (which is sometimes better than filet mignon if you ask me).
Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:11 pm 
Dan Spencer

There is no sense paying attention this the jerks and naysayers. It's not like they are contributing anything to this city. I actually felt bad that I couldn't attend the festivities. I know Flint Club will keep the faith going.
Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:26 pm 
Guest2

This was my 3rd time doing the Art Walk downtown! It was a wonderful evening, although the early rain did discourage people from coming. Wine & food at the galleries, beer & burgers at the torch - it was a great time. But what really struck me as special was seeing young children and families not afraid to walk the streets downtown.

Royal Oak, MI is a perfect example of blending all age groups/ethnicities into one downtown - a happening spot on a Friday/Saturday night! Flint needs more Art Walks, more positive thinking! Get out and do something!
Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:15 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

In my opinion it needs to advertised more effectively.
Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
BofMouais
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:
In my opinion it needs to advertised more effectively.

I agree. You start by telling your friends and family. I'll tell mine.
See you August 11.
Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Solution

Keep hating, you're just mad because you're too lazy yourself to do anything about it. Just admit you have no life's you would rather tear down someone that's taken some action.
Please keep feeding the negativity that just makes us stronger.
And then when there are thousands of people downtown and it's really happening excitement in the air. You'll be the first to say those are my friends in the Flint club. Even brag about knowing them
you can love us, you can hate us. But you can't forget us and the more you talk the more we are promoted. Which means people will come downtown to see what's really going on and what's going to happen next.
So in return thanks for the PR
Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:18 pm 
stix

The job of pulling it together in 48 hours was a gamble but it worked.
Of course, the Club will advertise in advance in the future - this was a "creative whim" (something that too many people fear, I'm afraid).

They're on the right track. The polishing and fine-tuning will come in time.
My only suggestions: have better music! Yikes!!!I feel that sometimes too much emphasis is put on "retaing youth" - just keep working to build a safe, clean, exciting, creative, tolerant city and everyone will come!
Post Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:56 am 
mycityflint

I truly appreciate the Friday walk-about idea that the Flint Club promoted (albeit hurriedly). I love living in a city that is at the very begining stages of its turn around. It makes me feel glad to know that everything I do for the city matters, even the smallest things such as walking its downtown streets!
It is easy to be a tourist in a thriving town. It is even easier to sit back and criticize others who try to make a difference in Flint. What is heroically difficult is to try and make a difference when you don't know if things will ever change for the better. Now, that requires courage.
Take heart Flint. If you just manage to look beyond the negativity that our news outlets (Flint Journal and evening TV news) seem to be focused on, you will see that Flint residents are some of the most couragous and dedicated residents anywhere in this state. Sooner or later, our city government will align itself with the will of the people and will start being a part of the solution. Until then, it is up to you and me my friends. Go Flint!
Post Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:47 pm 
iFilm

The Artwalk was a success, especially considering it was planned only 48 hours prior, which actually makes it brilliant.

Maybe it was disappointing to a few people that were expecting the whole party-like atmosphere, but it was really far from disappointing. Besides, it began to rain just as everything was set to start.

It was actually a fun and enjoyable 'Open House' to downtown Flint.

I'm impressed by what I see that it can become.
Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:53 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: