FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Stanley's political comeback
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Stanley's political comeback may be complete as he appears to be eying top county job
Posted by Ron Fonger | The Flint Journal December 31, 2007 13:54PM
Categories: Breaking News, Flint, Genesee County, Politics

GENESEE COUNTY -- Just five years after he was recalled as the mayor of Flint, some county commissioners believe Woodrow Stanley could end up with the top job in county government in 2008.

The Flint Journal could not reach Stanley, D-Flint, for comment last week, but others believe he's a stealth candidate to be chairman of the county Board of Commissioners. Stanley may be quietly watching Archie Bailey, D-Flushing, and Ted Henry, D-Clayton Township, weaken each other as they slug it out for support from the nine-member county board.

Commissioners have their reorganization meeting at 10 a.m. Wednesday in the county administration building, 1101 Beach St., Flint, and the election of a new board chair tops the agenda.

A candidate needs five of the nine votes to win the job.

"I think he's interested," Commissioner Rose Bogardus, D-Davison said of Stanley. "I just think he would like to give it a shot."

Commissioners Miles Gadola, R-Grand Blanc, and Henry also said they believe Stanley is interested in the job.

Stanley also is widely considered to be the leading candidate to replace state Rep. Brenda Clack in the Michigan House of Representatives in 2008. Clack, also a Flint Democrat, is restricted by terms limits from staying in the state Legislature.

Stanley himself hasn't been specific in public about his plans and apparently isn't speaking with 100 percent certainty about the top commission position.

Commissioner Raynetta Speed, D-Flint, said she will support Stanley if he decides to seek the chairman's job.

Bailey said he hasn't talked to Stanley about his interest in the job, but said Henry "is being used by Rose Bogardus as a tool to embarrass me."

"If I were commissioner Henry, I'd be focusing on getting re-nominated" in 2008, Bailey said.

Henry emerged from a crowded Democratic field to win his seat in 2006. He confirmed his interest in replacing Bailey in December and said he's ready to make a decision between Bailey and Stanley if he must.

Henry said he's not willing to say who he would choose from the two, but he's criticized Bailey for a lack of communication and said, "I think you'll see a new board chair."

Commissioner Jamie Curtis, D-Burton, said Bailey is being written off too soon and for no good reason.

"I think it's a personal agenda," said Curtis, who supports Bailey's re-election.

Commissioner Miles Gadola, R-Grand Blanc, said he's also "comfortable" with Bailey continuing as chairman but isn't ready to commit to how he'll vote.

Because Genesee County doesn't have an elected executive or a county manager, the board chairman becomes county government's leader by default.

Bailey said 2007 showed he could help commissioners accomplish a lot.

Commissioners re-established a medical examiner's office; agreed on a contracted, countywide system of ambulance service; and reduced what began as an $11-million-plus budget deficit.

Stanley was knocked out of office during a divisive March 2002 recall election in Flint, a referendum in which black voters stayed away from the polls in large numbers and that Stanley said stunk of racism.

Elected to represent part of Flint on the county commission in 2004, Stanley has headed a committee studying the future structure of county government and has avoided the kind of lingering personal scrapes Bailey has run into.

Stanley's popularity hasn't been tested outside his commission district, but he became an issue in the 2007 Flint mayoral election when supporters of Don Williamson attempted to tie challenger Dayne Walling to him.

Another name could also still emerge before Wednesday, and others could be interested. The Journal could not reach commissioners John Northrup, D-Flint, or Patricia Lockwood, D-Fenton, for comment.

Bill Ballenger, editor and publisher of Inside Michigan Politics, said Stanley's ascension to board chairman would make sense for him.

"It might be perfect timing," said Ballenger, who believes Clack's seat in the state Legislature is Stanley's to lose.

Source:
http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2007/12/stanleys_political_comeback_ma.html
Accessed: December 31, 2007
Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:19 pm 
yaryrret
F L I N T O I D

1. The Chairmanship of the Genesee County Board of Commissioners is not the top county job.

a.The Flint Journal is promoting county executive, Woodrow Stanley chairs a committee that will recommend a County Executive. They are condidtioning us, because they think we are a group of fools.
1.The jail committee will recommend a regional jail.
2.The fire committee will reommend a regional fre authority
3.The Regional Chamber of Commerce in concert with the Flint Journal will support the recomendation of the creation of county executive.

b.The Chairperson only has one vote and no executive authority.

c.With that said since this is a first among peeers position we should let the commissioner make their selection. Its there job to pick the person to speak for them not us.

d.John Northrup is too comfortable in the shadows to tke the top job but more power to him if he gets it.

2.If Stanley gets this it demostrates his political skill, but NEVER COUNT BAILEY OUT, best mind in the building.
KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE JOURNAL. They are just children and do not understand what is really going on.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:38 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

What the heck if Marion Barry can do it why not Woodrow. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:35 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
What the heck if Marion Barry can do it why not Woodrow. Laughing Laughing Laughing

You read my mind.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:42 am 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

What a way to start the new year, talking about woodrow stanley and marion barry. of course, i thought the white stuff that's falling outside his home right now was snow.

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:48 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well someone will probably mention Michael Moore next and the day will be complete. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:56 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Opinionated schreef:
What a way to start the new year, talking about woodrow stanley and marion barry. of course, i thought the white stuff that's falling outside his home right now was snow.

Well, at one time snow was a term meaning coke. Laughing

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

what did woodrow do comparable to marion? Shocked

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:21 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

They were both incompetent mayors and Marion was a crack head but he keeps making a comeback so why not Woodrow. At least he dosent have that crack usage problem to contend with. Very Happy

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:56 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
At least he dosent have that crack usage problem to contend with. Very Happy
These days how could you know one doesn't use crack or any other drug unless you know the person intimately? Even in those circumstances some have been fooled!

Could be a different skeleton in the closet, too.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:16 pm 
last time here

aw hell..anyone who's ever breathed oxygen has a skeleton in the closet.

hmmmmmmm...i think i'm ready for a spot of wine....

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:40 pm 
BlahBlah48439
F L I N T O I D

Stanley needs to move out of this county!
Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:07 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

quote:
BlahBlah48439 schreef:

Can he take Donny boy with him?

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:11 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
BlahBlah48439 schreef:

I wonder if Kwame's hiring?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Woodrow put this city in state receivership! Williamson has spent almost 4 years bringing this city back. Williamson unites Blacks and Whites, where Woodrow divided this city with a river! Lets hope people don't forget that!

quote:
yaryrret schreef:
1. The Chairmanship of the Genesee County Board of Commissioners is not the top county job.

a.The Flint Journal is promoting county executive, Woodrow Stanley chairs a committee that will recommend a County Executive. They are condidtioning us, because they think we are a group of fools.
1.The jail committee will recommend a regional jail.
2.The fire committee will reommend a regional fre authority
3.The Regional Chamber of Commerce in concert with the Flint Journal will support the recomendation of the creation of county executive.

b.The Chairperson only has one vote and no executive authority.

c.With that said since this is a first among peeers position we should let the commissioner make their selection. Its there job to pick the person to speak for them not us.

d.John Northrup is too comfortable in the shadows to tke the top job but more power to him if he gets it.

2.If Stanley gets this it demostrates his political skill, but NEVER COUNT BAILEY OUT, best mind in the building.
KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE JOURNAL. They are just children and do not understand what is really going on.

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: