FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  »Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Comedy On Tap

Topic: Squirrely hijinks

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Fried squirrel not on Christmas menu but disrupts holiday dinner in Corunna
Posted by Ken Palmer | The Flint Journal December 27, 2007 16:52PM
Categories: Breaking News, Corunna

By Ken Palmer
kpalmer@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6313

CORUNNA -- His hijinks are now history.

But Scrooge the Squirrel picked a fine time to make his grand exit, interrupting Christmas parties for thousands of area residents.

The squirrel shorted a cross primary line, knocking out a substation on Woodworth Street and leaving 1,800 customers without power for nearly six hours on Tuesday, city officials said.

The outage began about 11 a.m., and power wasn't restored until nearly 5 p.m.

The blackout occurred while many residents were expecting big dinner crowds, causing some of them to improvise, City Manager Joe Sawyer said.

"Some moved parties outside the blackout zone, and some sent food out to be cooked and then brought it back," he said. "People were really good-spirited about it. It's frustrating, but what can do you do about it?"

The electrocuted culprit was found at the scene, a nut still in its mouth, Sawyer said.

The animal caused an arc from one primary line to another, blowing all three phases going into the substation, he said.

A similar incident happened about 18 months ago when a squirrel caused a shorter blackout, Sawyer said.

Source:
http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2007/12/fried_squirrel_not_on_christma.html
Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:17 am 
Mark Bonto
F L I N T O I D

A nut was still in his mouth? Now there's a pretty picture for your Christmas dinner guests!

Watch national award-winning “Comedy On Tap” Thursdays and Fridays at 8pm. Both on Comcast channel 17. Go to my website at: http://markbonto.com and listen to me, and see me live at The White Horse on the radio: Wednesdays 7-7:30am on WKUF 94.3 FM.
Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: