FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: East Side memories...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

I also remember the old Dawn Donuts next to McDonalds on Davison Road. We used to ride our bikes up there. I remember when I was a paperboy and delivered the Sunday papers, I used to go there for nice warm donuts. I know that store hasnt been there in 20 years or so but are there any Dawn Donuts in Flint?

Does Tom Beaubien still own Luigi's? Is there a waitress there named Diane? We all graduated in 1985 from Central together.

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:33 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
I also remember the old Dawn Donuts next to McDonalds on Davison Road. We used to ride our bikes up there. I remember when I was a paperboy and delivered the Sunday papers, I used to go there for nice warm donuts. I know that store hasnt been there in 20 years or so but are there any Dawn Donuts in Flint?

Does Tom Beaubien still own Luigi's? Is there a waitress there named Diane? We all graduated in 1985 from Central together.

I think the only Dawn Donuts left is in Grand Blanc.

I don't know who owns Luigi's, but they celebrated 50 years in business last year.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:47 pm 
baseballmomx2
F L I N T O I D

isn't there a Dawn Donuts on Pasadena? Or did they tear that down too? And, I, too remember the Dawn Donuts on Davison Rd. Next to wear McDonalds sits now. And the new Browns Roadhouse is actually good now. (Richfield Rd). They renovated it and the food is great and really inexpensive!
Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:02 am 
baseballmomx2
F L I N T O I D

And you still want red sauce coneys! There is a converted A&W in Grand Blanc offa Saginaw street by the point. They still serve red sauce coneys. It's just a little walk up place where you can sit outside and eat. They don't serve fries though. Just hotdogs/coneys/chips/pop.
Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:05 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

I also grew up on the eastside. My fondest memories surround Kearsley Park. We went everyday, dime in hand and stood in line for the 1:00 session--if we didn't get in, we just waited for the 3:00 one. We always had 2 dimes--the second one was to get an ice cream for the old ice cream cart that was always sitting outside when the swim ended. The boys all played baseball at the "little" park and sometimes we'd ride our bikes over there to watch while we waitied. Oh--and we never needed to lock up those bikes. Smile

Angelo's was a hoot---especially after midnight. You were as likely to run into Mr. Mott as a bum killing time til morning. It was a true cross section of Flint. And speaking of Mr. Mott, did anyone ever have lunch at the old Carriage Room in Smith Bridgman's and NOT see him? And he always stopped to say hello to everyone. Geez, he was so beloved.

Luigi's is still neighborhood fare. Go in on a Friday night and the entire College Cultural neighborhood is having dinner....and yes, Tommy Beaubien still owns it.

Some of the old restaurants I miss---Ivanho's, Jimmy Lum's, Shorthorn. And of course, the old A & W by the jail. We used to take the "cruise"---drive through the "A", drive through "Kewpies", and then cruise past that pizza house on Detroit Street and the Clio Road A & W to see where everyone might be...it was fun. When I was really little, once in a while my dad would pop into our bedrooms when we couldn't sleep on a hot night and say "Everyone up and find shoes. We're going for root beer." It seemed like the middle of the night to us though it was probably about 10---and we'd all jump out of bed and go to that downtown A & W and have a root beer. It was so much fun. Geez, I miss my dad!
Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:17 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Deena schreef:
I also grew up on the eastside. My fondest memories surround Kearsley Park. We went everyday, dime in hand and stood in line for the 1:00 session--if we didn't get in, we just waited for the 3:00 one. We always had 2 dimes--the second one was to get an ice cream for the old ice cream cart that was always sitting outside when the swim ended. The boys all played baseball at the "little" park and sometimes we'd ride our bikes over there to watch while we waitied. Oh--and we never needed to lock up those bikes. Smile

Angelo's was a hoot---especially after midnight. You were as likely to run into Mr. Mott as a bum killing time til morning. It was a true cross section of Flint. And speaking of Mr. Mott, did anyone ever have lunch at the old Carriage Room in Smith Bridgman's and NOT see him? And he always stopped to say hello to everyone. Geez, he was so beloved.

Luigi's is still neighborhood fare. Go in on a Friday night and the entire College Cultural neighborhood is having dinner....and yes, Tommy Beaubien still owns it.

Some of the old restaurants I miss---Ivanho's, Jimmy Lum's, Shorthorn. And of course, the old A & W by the jail. We used to take the "cruise"---drive through the "A", drive through "Kewpies", and then cruise past that pizza house on Detroit Street and the Clio Road A & W to see where everyone might be...it was fun. When I was really little, once in a while my dad would pop into our bedrooms when we couldn't sleep on a hot night and say "Everyone up and find shoes. We're going for root beer." It seemed like the middle of the night to us though it was probably about 10---and we'd all jump out of bed and go to that downtown A & W and have a root beer. It was so much fun. Geez, I miss my dad!

Wow, if this didn't take me down memory lane. My wife loved Smith-Bridgeman's and would go there with her Grandma for lunch and to go to the bargain basement. I just got her a coffee mug that says, "Breakfast with Santa Claus", and one that says "Lunch with Santa Claus" with Smith-Bridgeman on it. A little expensive but what the hey.
Speaking of Dawn Donuts there is one located on Clio Road and Pasadena. I picked up a heavy coffee mug on eBay with the Dawn Donuts logo on it. Does anyone remember what their logo is?
Richard
Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:00 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I believe it was something like "everysunrise everywhere"

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:03 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
I believe it was something like "everysunrise everywhere"

Does this ring a bell? I love that guy.
Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:07 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

LT must be sleeping in, as the resident donut expert I am sure he would know the answer to that one. Very Happy

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:12 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

OMG. Breakfast With Santa. We went every year! It was so much fun. Where in the world did you find the old Smith Bridgman's mugs. Twice I have purchased things with the Smith Bridman's price tag still pinned on them (when did stores stop pinning price tags?) I bought a box purse and then two card table cloths--beautiful linen still priced. Smith Bridgman's was our family store, most everything came from there. My mother still mourns its demise.

Here's my story. When you first entered the store you came to cosmetics and jewelry. While my mother was purchasing I drooled over the rhinestone tiaras. I couldn't wait til I was old enough to go to a prom and wear a fabulous tiara. Alas when I graduated from HS you couldn't have found a tiara anywhere--they were so 50's!!! And in the last couple years during prom season, I wander through Macy's and drool over the tiaras that I have STILL never worn. Smile
Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:25 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

eBay is a wonderful thing and just happened to get lucky. Terri only uses them during the Christmas holiday, like this morning, as we sit in the living room drinking coffee, petting the dogs, and watching our Christmas village.

Oh, the memories are heavy this morning being as thick as the fog on SanFranciso bay.

Wink
Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:31 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

You know what I keep looking for on Ebay? When I was a kid I had two souvenir charm bracelets I am trying to replace. One was from Boblo Island and the other from Camp O Fairwinds. They were alike---except the charms each reflected their origins---and the name of the place. I search regularly and one day I'll find them. Smile
Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:46 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Tiaras, how cool. A few years back our high school had their annual homecoming and invited back some of the previous homecoming queens. Since my wife was a homecoming queen she dug out her old one and wore it that night. Laughing

Last edited by twotap on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:47 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I had a girlfriend that look just like that. Where did you get her picture... Razz
Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:49 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Is that your dog twotap?

quote:
twotap schreef:
Tiaras, how cool. A few years back our high school had their annual homecoming and invited back some of the previous homecoming queens. Since my wife was a homecoming queen she dug out her old one and wore it that night. Heres another princess wearing it.. Laughing Laughing

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: