FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: East Side memories...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Richard
F L I N T O I D

My dad went through Zelley's on Franklin back in 1990. They closed not long after that...tax troubles, as I recall. I remember looking at the diplomas on the walls...from like the 1930's. I kept thinking..."I wonder what's changed in embalming since then!"[/quote]
I can remember standing there looking at those diplomas for hours during visitations. I wished I could have been there for the auction when the IRS took over due to tax issues. A close friend of mine did get the embalming table and restored it. He is now using it at his funeral home in Flint.
Old man Zelley was a tyrant and could swear with the best of them.
Richard
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:32 am 
baseballmomx2
F L I N T O I D

but.. I considered myself an Eastsider! My dad and mom were both Eastsiders! Dad born on Arizona and mom lived on Richfield Rd.

I remember Kearsley park and safetyville and getting my license! The fireworks at Kearsley park during the Bicentenial (1976). My uncle owned the gas station at Franklin and Hamilton. My grandma lived on Delaware. Swimming at Kearsley park pool and eating lunch in the pavilion. Sledding down Kearsley park hill ( I still take my boys there!) Watching ball games with my dad every Sunday at Whaley. Then ice skating with my friends at Whaley behind Williams school. My mom worked at Aunt Nina's and the Varsity as a carhop, LOL. Riding my bike with my siblings all over the Eastside while visiting grandma. Riding over to the Flint river and standing on the metal bridge that took you to Blvd street. Going to Angelo's after a night of partying with friends in high school. Going to Knoblocks(sp) hardware with my dad on Lewis. Skating at International Skate on Davison road while in middle school. Playing basketball during the summer at Lowell and playing in the CANUSA games every summer. Going to Sherwood Forest with my older sister to watch Bob Seger and Grand Funk. Turning the lights off on the car while driving the hogbacks on Coldwater road. Skipping high school at Richfield Park and praying to GOD we didn't get caught. My dad taking us to the cemetry next to the Armory to show us the old gravesites. Getting fresh ice cream at McDonald's dairy. I remember each time we drove down Franklin to my grandmas house. My mom would tell us she went to elementary school there (meaning Lewis). And we couldn't believe how big it was! Shopping at Arlene's on Dort and Davison with my mom. And going grocery shopping with my grandma at that store (can't remember the name) at the corner of Leith and Franklin. Wanna say Feken Yotes or something like that. Getting candy from the Ben Franklin store on Franklin. My mom used to call it the 5 and dime store. Going to Wards to see Santa and then having breakfast with him. The Copa and Water Street Pavilion and walking all hours of the night in downtown not feeling afraid! Autoworld and going there almost every weekend! Fishing in the Flint River offa the now Leith street bridge. MAN, those were good time and I MISS IT! I have fond memories of Flint and I wish I could say the same things about my kids. Even though my oldest son LOVES Flint and wouldn't call anywhere but Flint, HOME!
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:04 pm 
baseballmomx2
F L I N T O I D

and oh, I remember the old A&W on Richfield Rd. Waiting for your frosted mug of rootbeer and trying to steal the mugs. My dad was shown 15 years ago at Brown's. Can't believe it's gone now! Playing basketball at Homedale in the parking lot. Camping outside at my grandmas house on Delaware and waiting for the McDonalds Dairy milkman every morning after to deliver her 2 quarts of milk in GLASS bottles. Going to Farmer's Market every Saturday to get fresh veggies and fruit and then staying for lunch.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:15 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:

I remember the old A&W on Richfield near Center. My parents used to take use there. I remember the trays hanging on the windows! It was cool!

The "OLD" A&W on Richfield was the newest one in the Flint area. It was owned by Verne Brown, who also owned the one on Saginaw & Stewart. The Richfield Rd. one is now Brown's Family restaurant. It's owned by Verne's son, Stephen, who also owns Mr. Brown's on Linden Rd by the Valley. My wife worked at the Saginaw & Stewart A&W in the early 60's.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
baseballmomx2 schreef:
And going grocery shopping with my grandma at that store (can't remember the name) at the corner of Leith and Franklin. Wanna say Feken Yotes or something like that.

I remember it well. Feke & Yott's. They had that little brick wall out front. We'd hang out on the bricks before school.

I played a LOT of basketball at Homedale. I toured Homedale before they closed it. Stood on the stage in the auditorium where I was MC of 6th grade graduation. Had Mr. Fiedler for music in that auditorium everyday. My mom had him for a teacher at Mandeville in the 50's.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:25 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well crap, wish I would have been an eastsider I feel left out.. Crying or Very sad Wink Laughing

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:28 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
quote:
Al Garcia schreef:

I remember the old A&W on Richfield near Center. My parents used to take use there. I remember the trays hanging on the windows! It was cool!

The "OLD" A&W on Richfield was the newest one in the Flint area. It was owned by Verne Brown, who also owned the one on Saginaw & Stewart. The Richfield Rd. one is now Brown's Family restaurant. It's owned by Verne's son, Stephen, who also owns Mr. Brown's on Linden Rd by the Valley. My wife worked at the Saginaw & Stewart A&W in the early 60's.

I also remember the A&W downtown across from the jail. The inmates would hoot and holler at the car hops.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:34 pm 
last time here

speaking of A&W, i recently went to the one on carpenter road.. them
kids had no idea what i meant by the famous red sauce!!!!!!! i left in
disgust!!!! as kids my sister and i loved when my dad would take us to
A&W next to the jail downtown. you could always hear "tenants" yelling
asking for hotdogs!!! OH!!!! 2tap will love this.....there was a DONUT shop
on industrial. you could smell the fresh donuts a mile away. can't
remember the name...every day after school at southwestern while
walking home we would look at the hotrods at the Varsity!!! Laughing Laughing

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:57 pm 
kaypurdue

I wish I was old enough to have known all this! I do go to Angelo's on Davison Rd. on occasion (I am usually too drunk at that point to care whether or not it's safe), ate at Luigi's for the first time a couple weeks ago (yum!), and yes, the Miracle Twin is still open! My husband and I try to make it to at least one double feature there every summer. Smile
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:13 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
OH!!!! 2tap will love this.....there was a DONUT shop
on industrial. you could smell the fresh donuts a mile away.

I gotta say one thing old LT sure knows his donut shop history. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:15 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
speaking of A&W, i recently went to the one on carpenter road.. them
kids had no idea what i meant by the famous red sauce!!!!!!! i left in
disgust!!!! as kids my sister and i loved when my dad would take us to
A&W next to the jail downtown. you could always hear "tenants" yelling
asking for hotdogs!!! OH!!!! 2tap will love this.....there was a DONUT shop
remember the name...every day after school at southwestern while
walking home we would look at the hotrods at the Varsity!!! Laughing Laughing

You can still get the red sauce at the Flushing A&W.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
kaypurdue schreef:
I wish I was old enough to have known all this! I do go to Angelo's on Davison Rd. on occasion (I am usually too drunk at that point to care whether or not it's safe), ate at Luigi's for the first time a couple weeks ago (yum!), and yes, the Miracle Twin is still open! My husband and I try to make it to at least one double feature there every summer. Smile

Angelo's, under it's present ownership, is just a shadow of what it once was. The coney's aren't nearly as good, and the inside service is very slow.

Luigi's is good. A bunch of us retirees get together for lunch there on the 3rd Thursday of every month.

Ever tried Starlight Coney island at Davison & Center? very good food and service.

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:45 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
OH!!!! 2tap will love this.....there was a DONUT shop
remember the name.

Where on Industrial? All I remember between Stewart & Hamilton were bars. Tropicana, Beer Vault, Industrial Club, Green Mill, Duffy's tavern, White Eagle (still there), etc.

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:48 pm 
last time here

it was near that biker bar still on industrial.......
yeah...near the white eagle (the building isn't there anymore though).

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:56 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Angelo's, under it's present ownership, is just a shadow of what it once was. The coney's aren't nearly as good, and the inside service is very slow.

Is the floor still sticky?
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:30 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: