FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: WANTED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Is that park still there??

Max Brandon Park, Formerly Forest Park, Dewey Woods before that. The park was fenced, and deer & bear roamed there. There was a small zoo by the pavilion in the meddle that had Raccoons, Monkeys, etc. The house on Pasadena on the East edge of the park was the caretaker's house. The Monkeys were moved there to a warm shelter for the Winter. There were 2 large skating rinks along ML King; one for general skating, one for Hockey. Along Dupont, where the "Federal Wetlands" is, was a smaller skating pond. It was a natural pond that froze over.

Iroquois Park, at Iroquois between Taylor & Genessee, is just a shadow of what it was. There was a sledding hill the City built, now gone, 2 ball diamonds, playground equipment, a grassy area where we played football.

One of the best things Flint ever had was the summer Boys Baseball Program. The Mott Foundation paid high school seniors to run each playground. Teams were set up by age. The best part was that everyone that wanted to play was put on a team, and everyone on a team had to play in each game and got at least one at-bat per game. Nobody was left out. No tryouts, just show up & play. Parents rarely came to watch & everyone had a ball. NOT like today's Little League atmosphere. Something similar could be done today with basketball.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

remember the little cars at....was it kearsley park?? i thought i was
the MAN driving those........and i played mott football too!!!!!
man that was fun!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:01 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

IMA Safetyville.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Richard
F L I N T O I D

There is still an old embalming table in the basement of the closed Reigle/Collins Funeral Home on the corner of Clio Rd & Stewart Ave. Scary part of town but that table is worth something to me. I will get that when I come up in February.
Is it possible that I can just walk in the place and take it since the place has been vandalized to death? I've exhausted all efforts to obtain it legally so I guess that is the way to go.
If the thought is you can go into old buildings and take items left behind then I should be able to get that table, right?
richard
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:23 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:
There is still an old embalming table in the basement of the closed Reigle/Collins Funeral Home on the corner of Clio Rd & Stewart Ave. Scary part of town but that table is worth something to me. I will get that when I come up in February.
Is it possible that I can just walk in the place and take it since the place has been vandalized to death? I've exhausted all efforts to obtain it legally so I guess that is the way to go.
If the thought is you can go into old buildings and take items left behind then I should be able to get that table, right?
richard

Why in the world would anyone want an embalming table?
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I believe thats what Richard does for a living. Very Happy
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:36 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I embalmed about 2000 bodies on that table back in the 70's when I worked at the Reigle Funeral Home. John J. Reigle owned three funeral homes in Flint. We did centralized embalming at that location and would casket the body and transport to the other two chapels. My wife and I operate a funeral home here in Florida and, as a stroll down memory lane, would love to place that table in our embalming room and use it. It has a real neat catcher at the foot end of the table to keep fluids from flowing onto the floor. Weird to you but a cool device to an embalmer.

Richard

Go to my photobucket site and look under the funeral home album to see pictures of the funeral home over the last several years.

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/RichardV_2006/
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:41 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

Fascinating.... Shocked

I suppose if you consider the ethics of stealing the old embalming table, you'd be in the clear. It would seem to me it's between you and the trashman---the biggest legal danger would probably be trespassing!
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:48 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I'm not worried about trespassing since the owner would have to file that charge and he is no where to be found. I know it is not right to just walk in and take it but, for several years I've tried to get it legally with no success. You can see that by viewing my pictures with the dates on them. And I know I cannot use the story, "I can take it because everyone else has been in there and stole a ton of stuff." My luck would be to pull up with my truck, be in the process of carrying the table out to load and a police officier shows up and, on this day he decides to make an example out of me. I'm not into stealing since this would make me just as bad as the others.
Not sure what I'm going to do but will visit the place when I come up snowmobiling in February.
Richard
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:58 am 
last time here

hey rich, if i was you i'd go to the mayors office on a wednesday and
ask him directly. he holds open office day every wednesday. he will
cut through all the mumbo-jumbo. Razz Confused Smile Very Happy

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:38 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Funny you mention the Mayor because, when he was running to be re-elected he had a huge sign mounted over the funeral home's sign (even though the place is closed) wanting voters to vote for him.
I just may do that but cannot until I come up in February since I live in Florida.
Richard
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:22 pm 
willy
F L I N T O I D

[quote="Richard"]I embalmed about 2000 bodies on that table back in the 70's when I worked at the Reigle Funeral Home. John J. Reigle owned three funeral homes in Flint. We did centralized embalming at that location and would casket the body and transport to the other two chapels. My wife and I operate a funeral home here in Florida and, as a stroll down memory lane, would love to place that table in our embalming room and use it. It has a real neat catcher at the foot end of the table to keep fluids from flowing onto the floor. Weird to you but a cool device to an embalmer.

Richard

Go to my photobucket site and look under the funeral home album to see pictures of the funeral home over the last several years.

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/RichardV_2006/[/quote]

I Bet the Scrap Metal Thieves in Flint . Now Know about all that Copper and Aluminum is in the Building..
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:08 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

The last time I was there the thieves had already removed the copper and all the furniture. They actually ripped the plumbing and electrical wires from the walls. Crazy. The funeral home had a steam heating system with radiators, yep, they're gone too.
About the only thing left is that darn table I want and perhaps a few retro multi-colored chairs I would like to have just for memories sake.
We'll see when I visit again and will get more pictures. As you can see from the pictures I took back in Nov 2005, the place looked like it was ready to hold a funeral. It did not take long for the thieves to figure out the place was closed for good so they decended upon and did their thing.
Richard
Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:52 pm 
WHAT!?
F L I N T O I D

Old buildings are great to go through. In the early-70's we ran across an abandoned town down WAYYYYYYYY back hills of Alabama. The town was for sale. Nobody was around. All the buildings were opened. We found an old safe that open, we looked in and found a bunch of stamps and postcards from the late-1800's and in to the the early 1900's. The stuff on the top of the pile was ration stamps for fuel and other stuff. We left everything in place and just enjoyed the visit. Too afraid to take anything out - it might have a spirit attached to it. We spent the day and camped for the night. Nobody ever came by. It was the greatest. 40 years ago, but seems like only yesterday.

BTW Richard, you could get caught. Not a wise choice pal; especially when you have told "Flint" what you'd like to do. Fun to think about it though - I get that.

The building is abandoned and a while back there was a break-in that was investigated and they found some chemicals, I think Hazmat was called in to deal with it. In the mid-70's, when it was a Reigle I was dating a mortician that worked there. It was Collins for a while, the guy running it lost it - made some bad choices BTW.

Wonder whatever happened to the old stuff at Spencers? Maybe new owners bought it all? It was a very nice funeral home back in the day when Edith and her hubby (name escapes me at the moment) ran the business. They were a great couple, their life is a wonderful and uplifting story. I still talk with Edith quite often

Our family funerals were all at Reigle on Pierson Road or Brown. I liked Brown the best, they seemed to have the best customer service; although Reigle was a very close second.

Although losing loved ones isn't a memory that's fun to reflect back on - seeing family you don't see except for at funerals and weddings is great fun.

Thanks for letting me blather on.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:35 pm 
WHAT!?
F L I N T O I D

I should have read all the posts before I responded. You worked at Reigle in the '70s? Did you work with a Wayne Hughes? He was a good friend of by BIL, we had some great times together. I hope he is doing well. I don't remember a Richard, but Wayne worked for Reigles for a few years it seems? Just wondering and reflecting. Not much else to do with this beautiful Michigan weather!
Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:42 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: