FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: First full-line grocery store in decades coming to downtown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

some people are willing to pay for convenience. don't forget that there will be plenty of college students living downtown when the dorms are finished, and the grocery store will be a huge convenience to them.

I would've given anything for a grocery store within a walkable distance when I lived in dorms...
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:04 pm 
necroped
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Tegan schreef:
some people are willing to pay for convenience....

I agree. That corner is within walking distance of work. I'll shop there just to help keep them around.
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:16 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I live a couple miles from there, but I will check out the Deli items.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I welcome the news, this will be a good thing for Historic Carriage Town. I hope they have high end products and not just cheap, unflavoraful food for the masses! I will for sure shop there.

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Charlie schreef:
We are interested in getting feed back on what is on your grocery list when you go to the grocery store. What types of products do you buy from a grocery store deli or what prepared food would interest you the most.
Fresh produce, finger foods, dairy products and baked goods. Such as can find at Farmer's Market but only on Tues., Thurs., or Sat. Romaine lettuce (3-pack), Roma tomatoes, grape tomatoes, celery, mini-carrorts, apples, oranges, 5-lb. bag Idaho potatoes; dried cherries, apricots, raisins; 32-ounce clear plastic jar of raw almonds or blanched peanuts, Pop Weaver's 15-pkg. box of Natural Microwave Popcorn (Gordon's carries these); cans of fruit in its own juice; individual bottles of 100% natural fruit juice; cottage cheese, block of colby cheese, yogurt, milk, eggs; Town House crackers, Jif creamy peanut butter; Koepplinger's buttersweet wheat bread, sometimes others but mainly wheat products. If at Farmer's Market, will try other baked goods. Usually pass up the deli unless it's for a quick lunch or to take home for dinner, i.e., freshly made sandwich from deli case, soups or chili, potato salad or coleslaw. Don't buy much fresh meat because it will spoil before I can use it. Instead buy frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts and frozen pre-cooked meatballs (from Gordon's), Ball Park singles franks, and cans of Star-Kist water-packed tuna. [But if you had cooked meat ready for the table I might try it.] For those who use it, coffee, sugar and powdered coffee creamer, coffee filters. Salt & Pepper. Close to downtown, what do you keep in the office? Kleenex tissue, T.P., aspirin, Tylenol, toothpaste, lint roller, etc. The minimum basics for colds and stuff that you might have to visit the drugstore for.

Hmmm, somebody's having a birthday at the office. Are you going to carry cake or cupcakes...maybe special order?

More than you wanted to know. But what I want to know is if your pricing is going to be competitive with Meijers. It would save a trip to Pierson, Hill or Center Road stores. Laughing
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:32 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Charlie schreef:
We are interested in getting feed back on what is on your grocery list when you go to the grocery store. What types of products do you buy from a grocery store deli or what prepared food would interest you the most.

I would like a store that has all the basics but a little bit of the stuff you find at a place like Trader Joe's down on Woodward or Oliver T's on Hill Rd. You definately should have a bakery that is not overly priced. I think some uniqueness is good. I also like Hutchinsons in the north end for there low prices on meats but they don't have enough variety.
It would also be good if you could get some fresh produce from the local growers.
It would also be great if you could be open 24 hours but that may not be feasible.
One thing that comes to mind would be real local farm fresh eggs. Out in Columbiaville at Buech's they sell local farm fresh milk. They even had some that was unhomogenized. Another thing would be some local organic meats.
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:39 pm 
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

When I lived in Detroit I walked to a market on Jefferson that was a good mix of economy priced basics and gourmet/specialty products. I could find ingredients for a new recipe and also get my laundry soap, cat food etc. I expect to pay a little more at this kind of store but the convenience of being able to run down the street for tomatoes or milk in the middle of the lunch rush will be worth it. I and/or my dad will be in there most every day. I will do as much of my shopping there as possible.
I am hoping for fresh produce, bakery items and healthy choices of almost everything.
I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

hmmmmm, this is gettin interesting....

how about a drink bar....protein, juices, fresh veggies..
like the deli stuff too.
(wonder if dale's still has that popcorn machine to make flavored popcorn)?

catering more to the younger health oriented minds..

of course a couple of us old fogeys will buy there also!! 2 man down

especially after sogging my bottom at the soggy bottom!! "burp"

Last edited by last time here on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:19 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Charlie schreef:
The grocery store will actually be in the former Hats by Jake Building Across from the old Herlichs Drug Store Building, ... We will have a well lighted parking lot along with security.
Idea Exclamation Hey, Ryan, where is the nearest Flint Police Department Mini-Station to Carriage Town? What is in that old fire station about a block north of this new store? Could that house the Mini-Station? If so it would sure would be a wonderful theft deterrent! The Mini-Station at Court and Bradley was welcomed by businesses in the Glendale Center and nearby, as well as the neighbors.
Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:43 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Its funny you ask OOSL2, we have offered that fire station and the one on Grand Traverse for the use as a police mini station. We will donate the space for that purpose, but the police dept hasn't put anything together yet and brought it to us.

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
Charlie schreef:
The grocery store will actually be in the former Hats by Jake Building Across from the old Herlichs Drug Store Building, ... We will have a well lighted parking lot along with security.
Idea Exclamation Hey, Ryan, where is the nearest Flint Police Department Mini-Station to Carriage Town? What is in that old fire station about a block north of this new store? Could that house the Mini-Station? If so it would sure would be a wonderful theft deterrent! The Mini-Station at Court and Bradley was welcomed by businesses in the Glendale Center and nearby, as well as the neighbors.

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:48 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

lol Soggy Bottom is Carriage Town's #1 Bar.

quote:
last time here schreef:
hmmmmm, this is gettin interesting....

how about a drink bar....protein, juices, fresh veggies..
like the deli stuff too.
(wonder if dale's still has that popcorn machine to make flavored popcorn)?

catering more to the younger health oriented minds..

of course a couple of us old fogeys will buy there also!! 2 man down

especially after sogging my bottom at the soggy bottom!! "burp"

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:50 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Its funny you ask OOSL2, we have offered that fire station and the one on Grand Traverse for the use as a police mini station. We will donate the space for that purpose, but the police dept hasn't put anything together yet and brought it to us.
quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Idea Exclamation Hey, Ryan, where is the nearest Flint Police Department Mini-Station to Carriage Town? What is in that old fire station about a block north of this new store? Could that house the Mini-Station?
We? Who owns the property now? Put a proposal together yourself (including utilities and phone expenses) with a typed list of approved volunteers who are ready to staff it and submit it to the appropriate authority. Not enough volunteers? Check with the businesses in Northbank and other businesses nearby and see if they'd be willing to volunteer a staff member an hour or more a week.
Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:09 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Good Points and that has been done, but we need approval from City Hall.

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:49 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Good Points and that has been done, but we need approval from City Hall.
You're confusing me. You put together a proposal and submitted it, or you're waiting for the police department to put "anything together" and bring it to you? Please clarify.
Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:21 pm 
last time here

hey ryan, what are you asking for the one on detroit street?
just curious. Cool Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Cool

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:15 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: