FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Downtown Revitalization Paper - Flint
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

DDA ='s DOWNTOWN DEMOLITION AUTHORITY

Post Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

When Martha Allis was head of the DDA, all they did was tear things down or at least get the ball rolling.. ( no pun intended ).

Look at all the properties that have been torn down, in the downtown area. Why didn't we keep the world's smallest skyscraper? ( it made it into ripple's believe it or not book). Why did we tear down the Patterson building? Why did we allow AutoWorld and the old ima to be imploded?
Now we have less than 100 buildings and lots of parking lots.

People in Flint need to learn how to walk places, and not expect to pull right up to the front door!

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
DDA ='s DOWNTOWN DEMOLITION AUTHORITY

Post Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
hmmm
F L I N T O I D

As someone who does not currently live in Flint but owns property in the city, I think Ryan makes a few good points... I happen to know a thing or two regarding development (from living in and visiting major cities) and the one thing Flint does not have, hasn't had, or is talking about is a designated ENTERTAINMENT DISTRICT!!! Every successful city have at least one (often more) and I'm not talking about the 'business district' or the development on Saginaw Street, but rather a pure relax and unwind district, diverse with people and places. Business starts here. I personnally think Carriage Town would be a perfect spot for such a place... Thoughts?
Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:57 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

There's a Patterson Building on the corner of Third and Saginaw downtown, was there a different one?

I remember being 14 and so angry about the IMA demolition.

In a perfect world, the factories that were the main sites of the Sit Down Strike would still be around. Can you imagine how many school kids are taught about the Strike of 1936-7? Flint should have played up on that when they had the historical resources. Imagine the educational tourism...
Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:46 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Here's another question to anyone... I'm full of 'em

How do you feel about the role of the Genesee County Land Bank in downtown and neighborhood revitalization? What are its successful programs? Its lacking programs?
Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:00 am 
BlahBlah48439
F L I N T O I D

I vote for Ryan to be head of the DDA or economic development

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

I know you didn't ask me tegan but i will put in my 2 cents. Downtown Flint needs The following:

1.) More high end condo's, houses, lofts for people with the upper incomes to live in. The more disposable income in downtown flint the more business's will thrieve.

2.) Restore the Durant Hote.

3.) Bring Ice Skating back to downtown Flint at Water Street.

4.) A Downtown Hotel that people can go to and spend the night, as well as convention space.

5.) Renovate the Genesee Towers so it continues to help our skyline be visable for miles around. As well as it will contribute major Tax Revenue to our city.

6.) Restore Riverbank Park to what it was intended to be, and utilize it the way it was built.

7.) Get the fountains in riverbank park flowing again, and bring more ART to that park.

8.) Start a Task Force to help get Historic Carriage Town going again, invest more monies in that area.

9.) Find a new home for the Carriage Town Ministries, so Downtown Flint will have less homeless committing crimes, stealing, and panhandling.

10.) More Restaurants, Bars, Shops... The more things to do downtown the more people who will come downtown.

quote:
Tegan schreef:
fair enough, twotap. why don't you tell us what YOU think Flint's downtown need's to be revived?

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:30 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

So I got an A on my revitalization paper. With lots of complimentary comments. Yay!

I'm smart! Someone give me a job!
Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:15 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Tegan schreef:
So I got an A on my revitalization paper. With lots of complimentary comments. Yay!

I'm smart! Someone give me a job!

Have ya called The Don?
Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:47 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

hahaha actually i was thinking about that after I posted it. the only problem is that I don't live in Flint, and no one cares what I say! so it probably wouldn't help him much...
Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:46 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Did you use any of my suggestions? Wink Wink Laughing
Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:38 pm 
BlahBlah48439
F L I N T O I D

GOOD WORK! on your paper you non flint resident you
Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:15 pm 
last time here

tegan..... residence is no longer a requirement of working for the city!!
give it a try damnit!!!!! go for it!! Cool Cool

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:09 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Ya, thay got rid of that ridiculous residency requirement years ago. I still remember my son was gonna apply to the Flint Police dept until they told him if accepted he would have to aquire a residence in the city. Rolling Eyes
Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:11 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

actually, i was implying that I wouldn't get a job in the mayor's office because of my ineligibility to vote in the upcoming election. ;)

but thank you for your support!

actually, twotap, I took your comments into consideration when I was discussing the overall attitude of the city's residents.

everyone helped a lot :) i'm really grateful.
Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:12 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: